NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pressure Problem 351w

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 2:39am
I too would put a mechanical guage on before I tore that motor down. It is too easy to pick up and install a mechanical guage not to verify the suspected pressure drop. Just mount it under the motor cover and check it often to verify your concerns. If the oil pressure is ok on the mechanical guage, then you need to be looking elsewhere.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 1:03am
1100 is not that much on this engines..mine actually went almost 2k before one of the heads cracked..could have lasted some more time if that didn't happen...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 1:00am
Check out Jbear jr's post. Sounds like he put new bearings in without much fuss;

lower end rebuild
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MorganB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:24pm
Hmm Seams everyone has the same conclusion i have come up with, bottom end bearings! can i just replace those? or would it be a waste of time? the engine just runs so happy dont relay wana spend money on complete build, i don't think 1100 was a massive amount of hours. will have to look out for this LUCAS stuff see if i can get it here. also will change to 20/50 see if that helps for now! still got at least another 2 months of boarding to get in this summer!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 9:17pm
BP, good point. I once had a loose connection on a sender & the gauge would vary depending on speed (vibration).

Ben Franklin
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by MorganB MorganB wrote:

Hi everyone

Just over the last few trips i have had a couple of problems with my oil pressure in my 83SN

its fine for the half hour or so (40psi) then it drops way of to like 5 at idle and 20 running,

the 1st time i saw it i went straight home checked oil level, was a bit low but nothing to cry home about, so i topped it up (15w40), ran it on a hose for about 15 min and everything was normal! so went out again last night and same again after a while it dropped off, not as far as the 1st time but still under 15 at idle and max of 30, everything sounds normal to me no major leeks (always had 1 small one out of the main end seal)

what do u think could be the issue?

the engine has done 1100 hours so its not in mint condition but it starts first pop every time has heaps of power for what i need and i never run it much over 3500rpm in fact most of the time only about 1800rpm.

Put a mechanical gauge on the engine and verify that you actually have low pressure. 1100 hours isn't much.

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 6:08pm
What the Lucas does is keep the viscioty of the oil up. Bearing clearances get bigger and so does the pumps,Heavy oil does help, however its flows heavier so the quality of flow of the oil is comprised a bit that's why they use a multi vis oil.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 12:13pm
i dont condone Lucas, but it wouldnt hurt....run it in my car to keep the oil pressure light from coming on. thats a mechanics fix btw. I look at it this way its not going to get any better and why spin a bearing and create yourself more problems
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Morgan - It sounds to me that your bearings are at the end of their life (too much clearance). You might want to switch to 20W50 for the short term, then start a fund to rebuild the engine.

Or go to a straight weight 40. The pressure dropping off on a high hour engine is typical when using multi vis oil after it gets hot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 10:53am
Morgan - It sounds to me that your bearings are at the end of their life (too much clearance). You might want to switch to 20W50 for the short term, then start a fund to rebuild the engine.

Ben Franklin
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:41am
I am assuming you changed the filter too, If not do so.
MorganB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 1:04am
Hi everyone

Just over the last few trips i have had a couple of problems with my oil pressure in my 83SN

its fine for the half hour or so (40psi) then it drops way of to like 5 at idle and 20 running,

the 1st time i saw it i went straight home checked oil level, was a bit low but nothing to cry home about, so i topped it up (15w40), ran it on a hose for about 15 min and everything was normal! so went out again last night and same again after a while it dropped off, not as far as the 1st time but still under 15 at idle and max of 30, everything sounds normal to me no major leeks (always had 1 small one out of the main end seal)

what do u think could be the issue?

the engine has done 1100 hours so its not in mint condition but it starts first pop every time has heaps of power for what i need and i never run it much over 3500rpm in fact most of the time only about 1800rpm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic