Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 Ski Prop - Tim Need Advise

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
89Ski_Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 Ski Prop - Tim Need Advise
    Posted: February-05-2010 at 6:32pm
Tim,

Based on your experience which wheel would you recommend for an 1989 Ski Nautique that provides a good compromise between the best holeshot performance without sacrificing too much top end performance? 4 blades or 3 blade?

We primarily use the boat for slalom skiing, no wake boarding. We operate with the standard gear and 2 adults 2 children no additional "fat sac" or additional ballast weight.

Bill Weeks provided me with a few recommendations suggesting the Acme 1492-13.50X16.00VR4B 1.00 .105 cup four blade propeller and the ACME 422.

We currently using what appears to be original Federal 14 x 16 RH.
model: Ski Nautique
boat_year: 1989
cid: 351
transmission gear_ratio: 1.23
rpm_high: 4450 - 4650
max_speed: 46-47

Thanks,
Randy
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
hunterdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 7:57pm
I bought the Acme 470 3 blade for my 89.

Here is where I got it, the best price I found!

http://marineelectronicsplaza.com/acmepropellers470125x15r1bore105cup3acmeinboardpropellers.aspx

Dan
Dan
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 8:55pm
Dan,

Was that 470 from the site you listed the real thing? I'm on the site now and it looks...shady...at best. lol Did you receive the prop already and use it? I want to do the same thing at a price like that but was a little leary...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 9:10pm
Not Tim but that won't stop me from giving advice.   I have both the 470 & 1442.    Unless you are using over 1000 lbs. of ballast, I recommend the 1442 - the rpms will be a little lower & you will use less gas.

Some one has a prop in the parts for sale section that may work, but I don't have experience with that.

I recommend Delta prop as the source. They are a site sponsor & give very good service.

PS - If you join the Planet Nautique website, then you can get a discount at Delta. I don't know why they don't offer it to us.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 10:20pm
We do pull a lot of skiers on occassion....but I'm in the market for one that is an all-around good prop, hole shot, top end, can still pull some skiers off the dock (maximum of 12) we do it now with a 13X13 acme I believe but the RPMS on that get so high...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 11:16pm
Chris is right on- Id go with the 1442. Youll see a few more RPM (100-200) than the stock prop, but you'll still be under 4800. I would expect you to gain a ton of holeshot and probably a little bit of topend.

Mdvalant, theres no such thing as a 13x13 Acme for a Correct Craft- they dont make that size in RH rotation. Either way, that size is way off for the 1.23 transmission in question.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 11:18pm
I wonder WTF size it is then...we got it in 04ish....would it be a 12.5X13? We had it recommended to us by ACME themselves so it must be correct...If it isn't, It sure has been working out great these last few years :) Pulled a record number 6 couples off the dock last season! :)
hunterdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 1:28pm
Hello, yes I was leary of that price also, and I did get the prop. Bill @ Acme knows me, and knows the company that is selling them, Bill says that they are selling them at ROCK BOTTOM prices ( near cost )

I am not going to guarantee you will not have any issues, but my transaction was very smooth, and yes I did confirm with Bill that it is a genuine ACME prop.

I went with this over the 1442 because of the cost, and I think it was a great decision, it was a night and day difference from the stock one.

Good luck!

Dan
Dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 3:54pm
Chris, Tim, Dan,

Great, Thanks for the advise, looks like I will go with 3 blades and the ACME 1442. I will post phots as soon as it is installed.

Thanks
Randy
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2010 at 1:07am

Randy,

Getting the boat ready for St.Johns...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2010 at 12:07pm
Dave,

Dave,

Everything was on track for us attend until yesterday... I received a call to be in Sterling Heights, MI from 17-26 February.   

You guys have fun and take lot of pictures. Maybe a chance for another reunion in the SE later this year. I miss the Sea World Reunions.

Randy

1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 7:46pm
Tim, Chris

Thanks again for your advise, I opted for the ACME 1442, wow the surface area appears much larger when compared to the stock Federal propeller. See below. I highly recommend Delta Propellers; very courteous customer service and prompt delivery and they use very good shipping package.   Great discount, be sure to specify the DP5CCF08 CCFAN discount when ordering.

Stock Federal:

New ACME 1442:

Hopefully I can report back shortly the on the performance improvement.
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 7:48pm
AWESOME! Thanks to this thread, I too purchased a 1442 from Delta. Great people, great price, great prop. Can't WAIT to try it out!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 11:55pm
Randy,
Pull the Acme out of the box and take another picture of it and replace the picture you did post. It will give people a better idea of the surface area of the blades.

When is it going in the water?

I suggest you lap the new prop to the shaft. You joined in May of last year and I started this thread proper prop installation in February so don't know if you've seen it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 12:54pm
Randy - I can attest to Pete's advice on lapping. I foolishly ignored his advice & my prop came loose upon a hard reverse. Luckly the nut retained it on the shaft.

It only costs a few dollars & takes about 1/2 hour to do - well worth it.

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Randy,
Pull the Acme out of the box and take another picture of it and replace the picture you did post. It will give people a better idea of the surface area of the blades.

When is it going in the water?

I suggest you lap the new prop to the shaft. You joined in May of last year and I started this thread proper prop installation in February so don't know if you've seen it.

Pete you are right haha..when I first saw this picture I said..wait something is wrong there!! that props look like it came from the barber shop...its not even close to my 1442..then I noticed it was due to the package!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 7:22pm
In the box, it looks comparable to the Federal, ha.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 7:23pm
Federal 13x13 - ACME 540 13x12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 12:20am
Pete, Thanks for the lapping instructions,great detail....even I can follow these instructions! You are right I missed this earlier post. Stay tuned for an update with revised photos. I am unsure when I will get a water test I am hip deep in a technical proposal.

Randy   
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 8:14am
Randy love the colour of your 89 have not seen many yellow ones. I have a ACME 422 on my 89 and it performs very well and is super smooth. Even with the boat heavily loaded it has no problems getting onto plane. The 1.23 tranny has a lot to do with this though.
Tim did a lot of testing on his 90 SN and concluded the 3 blades out performed the 4 blade ACME's.
I like the idea of the extra diameter of the 1442.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 5:24pm
Just a quick update, I finally installed the new ACME 1442 this weekend.

The instructions supplied by Pete were so easy even I could follow them. Thanks, Pete. One small problem I had was removing the old propeller. The previous owner(s) did not use a stainless steel propeller shaft key, consequently the old Federal propeller was a real pain in the a** to remove.

Just a friendly reminder make you use a stainless steel key since as you can see the photo above was badly rusted and took a lot of coaxing to get the key to slide out and remove the old propeller.   

I am now ready for a water test...... then I start wetsanding. Getting ready for spring.
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 8:45pm
Randy - You might want to bend that straight tail of the cotter pin toward the center.

At least that is what I do to prevent it from fatiguing. I sense a couple of different views on this coming . . .

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 11:09am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Randy - You might want to bend that straight tail of the cotter pin toward the center.

At least that is what I do to prevent it from fatiguing. I sense a couple of different views on this coming . . .

Chris,
I'm with you on this one!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2010 at 8:24pm
Chris, Pete

Thanks for the tip, yes I bent the cotter pin around the center before I went to the lake.

Gang,

I went for test spin on Lake Butler today, this ACME 1442 prop rocks! Much better than the stock 14 x 16. The holeshot seems to be improved considerably and the top end is better than the old 14 x 16. Tim, Chris thanks for the advise, anyone who has not purchased one these for stock Ski w/1:23 transmission.....call today and place your order with Delta Propellers.

Randy
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:40pm
Good deal. Get us some WOT rpm's and a gps top speed number when you get a chance... Im curious how the 2001 hull compares!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 12:51pm
Tim,

Will do as soon as I get back on the water...right now I am removing the hardware in preparation for wetsanding.

Thanks,
Randy
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 2:09am
Well better late than never in getting the WOT data. I finally have some WOT numbers to post for the ACME 1442 on our '89 Ski.

With the ACME 1442 on stock '89 Ski with points... WOT is now 4900 RPM which translated to 46.6 MPH average as measured using GPS equipment.

The holeshot performance is significantly improved when compared to the stock Federal propeller...but I did not record any detailed timing / speed data.     

Incidently today the air temperature was in the low 80's, the humidity about 80%, with a slight NE breeze, on Lake Tibet at an altitude of 98 feet of above mean sea level.
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 12:53pm
Now that's what I call follow through.

Randy - you're quite the tease with that weather report! In the teens here in Iowa!

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2010 at 1:32pm
Snob, if he owned a sled he would be wishing for some snow
"the things you own will start to own you"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 10:16am
I finally got to try a 470 on my 89 last weekend. With all the rain and flooding lately there is always debris in the rivers and dams and the 422 took a couple of small hits recently.

Decided it was time to try the spare prop in case I was forced to use it. I hade to fab up a new puller as the standard c clamp prop puller was not getting the job done. Lapped the prop as per "Pete's Proper Prop Installation" thread. I sure would be nice to sticky these really useful threads somewhere so they are easier to find.

The 470 was up about 300rpm at boarding speed normally 22mph is 2400-2500rpm with the 422. With the 470 the rpm was 2700-2800rpm. At ski speeds it was worse 35mph 3800-3900rpm at 4600rpm we were only seeing 41-42mph. With the 422 I could not see 4600 rpm it would top out at 47.1mph gps at 4450-4500rpm.

It would be a good prop on a heavily loaded 89 but I did not feel that the pull was any better than the 422 4 blade. I think the 1442 would be better suited to this hull the extra diameter would keep the rpm down. I think it may have even pulled higher rpm but it was time to pull up and the revs and speed were increasing ever so slowly.

Fuel usage also increased with the extra rpms. I think adding a bit of extra cup would bring the rpm down not sure if it will be enough though.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic