Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It should be true

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
Author
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:20pm
getting down to your level as born again christians what if we are wrong weve lost nothing. as opposed to if you are wrong you will live in eternal damnation and suffer for how you chose to believe or in your case not to believe, im sure in your life you have had choices to chose which road to follow and when you chose the wrong road there is allways consequenses thats the way god has designed our life you may not agree because we surely cant see the big picture and im sure that when you do meet god face 2 face you will tell him how you would have done it as opposed to him since truly you seem to have all the answers.
davee40
lakeland,fl
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:41pm
Phil,
Scripture does make audacious claims, the biggest of which I would think would be resurrection. Before touching on that audacity, I want to take a moment to speak of Scripture. I think you are correct that much in Scripture is impossible to "prove." The scientific formula just won't allow us to go back to the New Testament story of the woman caught in adultery, who the crowd was ready to stone, but who was "miraculously" saved by Jesus. Here is what Jesus did . . . he removed the woman from a culture stuck in judgment and brought her into a world of forgiveness. This is the New Covenant. Sadly the institutional church often forgets that this is where we live now. We do not live in the world of the Old Covenant, dominated by the law, that was ultimately impossible to keep. What Jesus did for this woman was love her, he loved her unconditionally, meaning that she did not have to perform, to do good, to live up to, to be anything other than what she was. And it changed her life. This is one story of Jesus. In all these stories Jesus was showing that God is the God of love, unconditional love, that God was coming to us and offering us an abundant life where we are . And this is THE point of Jesus' life. Where this gets tricky, for someone like me particularly, (I kind of like seeing the proof myself) is that love cannot be measured, it is not subject to the scientific method. But I know this; I know when I am loved, and I'm not talking about romance. I'm talking about someone who sees my warts, my insecurities, my weaknesses and just will not give up on me, who will always forgive me. And who will care so much for me that they will never, ever judge me (but who will occasionally use 2x4 methods to get my attention). In my mind forgiveness is a miracle, because it is so "un"human. What I am called to do is to love others in this same way that God loves me . . . unconditionally.
The New Covenant is not about what we say about the Bible; it is about God loving the world so much.
When I look to Scripture I don't then look to scripture for proof, I look to scripture and discover love. I don't need the resurrection of Jesus to be scientifically proven; I trust that in the story, in the life of Jesus, that the need I have to be unconditionally loved is being met through this resurrection . . . it's as miraculous as forgiveness is.

There are many who have gone to great lengths to study archaeology, literary and historical critical methods of examining scripture, studies of the authenticity of the Scriptures and their translations . . . which by the way fascinates me. Some very smart people, much smarter than me have of course, studied the crap out of all this stuff. Some walk away, and others embrace. Included in this study are critical methods of understanding the original context of the stories, and the culture in which they first came.
I think your point concerning natural disasters is well taken. "Why" would God "allow" these horrible things. My best answer is "I don't know." I can give you some of my thinking; but man, this is getting really long. Maybe a later time. But I don't think God sends a hurricane to smack people on the coast because of Bourbon Street. Jesus after all had some wine in his day.
For me, it's this, always this, God loves me, and in that love He has saved my rear. So I am able to say, even if the sky should fall and the earth should quake, "I'm finally Ok."
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

getting down to your level as born again christians what if we are wrong weve lost nothing. as opposed to if you are wrong you will live in eternal damnation and suffer for how you chose to believe or in your case not to believe, im sure in your life you have had choices to chose which road to follow and when you chose the wrong road there is allways consequenses thats the way god has designed our life you may not agree because we surely cant see the big picture and im sure that when you do meet god face 2 face you will tell him how you would have done it as opposed to him since truly you seem to have all the answers.

If you could only hear yourself from the outside looking in.

Let me quote a very wise man.

Well, what if I'm wrong. I mean, anybody could be wrong. We could all be wrong about the flying spaghetti monster the pink unicorn and the flying tea pot. You happen to be brought up I would presume in the Christian faith. You know what it's like not to believe in a particular faith because your not a Muslim your not a Hindu. Why aren't you a Hindu? Because you happen to be brought up in America not in India. If you were brought up in India you would be a Hindu, if you were brought up in Denmark in the time of the Vikings you would be believing in Wotan and Thor. If you were brought up in classical Greece you would be believing in Zeus. If you were brought up in central Africa you would be believing in the great Ju Ju of the mountain. There is no particular reason to pick on the the judeo Christian God in which by the shearest accident accident you happen to be be brought up and ask me the question what if I'm wrong. What if your wrong about the great ju ju at the bottom of the sea?

Just a silly question to me...
God View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:52pm
Phil,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Carry On
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Care to reconsider on the Christmas discussion?

Nope.

Simply put, the Bible talks about Jesus’ birth. Christians celebrate Christmas to celebrate Jesus’ birth. Put the two together and you can see that the Bible talks about what we now call Christmas. You don’t seem to agree with it, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

As far as when Jesus’ birth really is, usually only those that are trying to somehow discredit the Bible to back up their own belief and somehow rationalize not believing it are the one’s concerned with nitpicking about dates. Most Christians don’t really care and we’d be perfectly fine celebrating in March, October or December (which was picked for whatever reasons).

I get your point about the whole drug and parenting thing but I'm not all-loving, all-knowing, and all-powerful so I think your comparing apples to oranges here.

I'm glad you get the point and I hope others that read this somehow have a better understanding. I disagree about it being apples to oranges. It seems to be a very valid comparison.

I'm confused. Why do Christians pray then? If god allows free will like you have described I don't understand why people waste so much time praying. He's not going to answer your prayers right? Seems like praying and free will are contradicting each other.

Interesting question. It depends on what people are praying for. Therein lies your answer. It isn't a waste when you are praying for God's guidance. Is it a waste for your son to come to you seeking advice? Would you not answer his questions?
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:14pm
thats what im talking about real people who know that they know that they know ,that was some good stuff chuck even if phill doesnt get it. me personally i should be dead and i look back on life and know that in all my stupidity god has saved my life for a reason,and when i see my 13 year old daughter holding up her hands and worshiping god through song it all makes since to me. nice point andy on prayer
davee40
lakeland,fl
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:14pm
Quote interesting question. It depends on what people are praying for. Therein lies your answer. It isn't a waste when you are praying for God's guidance. Is it a waste for your son to come to you seeking advice? Would you not answer his questions?

No, it's not a waste. Does God literally talk to you? Because when my son asks me a question he get's a clear answer with sound and everything his mom might even chime in.

Quote Nope.

Simply put, the Bible talks about Jesus’ birth. Christians celebrate Christmas to celebrate Jesus’ birth. Put the two together and you can see that the Bible talks about what we now call Christmas. You don’t seem to agree with it, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

As far as when Jesus’ birth really is, usually only those that are trying to somehow discredit the Bible to back up their own belief and somehow rationalize not believing it are the one’s concerned with nitpicking about dates. Most Christians don’t really care and we’d be perfectly fine celebrating in March, October or December (which was picked for whatever reasons).

Ok, I agree that Christmas for Christians is the celebration of Jesus' birth. What I disagree with is how it started, for what reasons, and when Jesus' was born. Most Christian religions think it was spring time but they choose December 25th because of Saturnalia. So I think we just disagree with the history of Christmas. Also, if I were to ask most any Christian when Jesus' was born they would certainly say December 25th because they don't really know the bible all that well and the Christians have basically lied to them about this or at least not pointed out the truth. They don't know the real history behind Christmas or about the pagan festivals. This should be part of your teachings. I don't have anything against Christmas and I don't have a problem with people using Jesus' as a role model if it helps them. But for any religion to claim that it is the one and only true word of God is a bit much.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Phil,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Carry On

LOL    I can't believe no one has that username already.
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:21pm
Im not sure how old you son is but im sure he will be having this same disscussion with some one in a few years and be saying the same as you. but hopefully he wont follow in your footsteps ,based on the fact that you teach your kids there is no god
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:23pm
it was amusing,i can take a guess on who it was
davee40
lakeland,fl
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:28pm

Im not sure how old you son is but im sure he will be having this same disscussion with some one in a few years and be saying the same as you. but hopefully he wont follow in your footsteps ,based on the fact that you teach your kids there is no god

I don't tell him there is no god. I can't possibly be certain of that. I tell him it's highly unlikely and there is no reason and no evidence as to why anyone should believe in such a thing.

davee40,
Also, if I can ask you a question. Why are you Christian? How did you become a Christian?
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:38pm

Quote interesting question. It depends on what people are praying for. Therein lies your answer. It isn't a waste when you are praying for God's guidance. Is it a waste for your son to come to you seeking advice? Would you not answer his questions?

No, it's not a waste. Does God literally talk to you? Because when my son asks me a question he get's a clear answer with sound and everything his mom might even chime in.

No. I don't get an audible response. I'll say I get very clear answers though.

I'll share a story as an example...

My wife and I had moved to SD when I took a job out of college. We were really wanting to be close to our family in CA, but we really couldn't afford to move and were a little financially strapped. We also had a 2nd mortgage on the house that we couldn't afford to pay off. We prayed about it wanting to know God's will but also wanting to express our desire to be close to the family. I was sending out resume's and making contacts but not a lot was happening. We kept praying that God would help show what it was he wanted us to do. An opportunity for a job came up that I interviewed for. The interview went well and during the interview salary requirements came up. My asking salary was about $5k a year higher than their top end, but they told me they would consider it. More prayer ensued and essentially we prayed very specifically about what we wanted to see happen to understand what God's answer was.

Here is what we needed for things to really fall into place and be able to move...

1. Salary as mentioned above.
2. Moving expenses covered.
3. Some way to pay off the 2nd mortgage or finance it in some other way.
4. Sell our house for enough that we could pay it off and pay the realtor.

I talked to my Dad about #3 to see if they could loan us the money. He couldn't. My Grandma has loaned money to friends and family and charges less than market value interest rates, which helps supplement her income while helping the family member. However, she had all her money out on loans at the time.

So, after some time went by, here's what happened...

1. The company offered me the salary I asked for, with a generous moving expense option (Mind you, I never even asked them for moving expenses).

2. I accepted the job pending us selling the house and moving.

3. We placed the house on the market. In a matter of a couple weeks we had an offer that paid the loan and all expenses.

4. Just before the offer on the house came in, my Dad called. Grandma had one of her loans paid in full and now had the money to loan us.

So, everything worked out quite well and it was quite a blessing to be back near the folks and have them see our family grow. Looking at all the things that had to fall into place and the things we very specifically prayed for, I can only offer up that God very clearly answered our question of "What do you have in mind for us? Stay here or move back to CA?"
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:49pm
As a teen i was wild at heart we went to church on occasion i did what i wanted and never really thought about the fact that God did or did not exist,a friend and i were crusing one night and he pulled into a church parking lot to take p*ss , a young man came out and started talking with us,we all conversated for about an hour ,he ask ask if he could pray with us before we left ,because of the overwhelming feeling that we felt we both accepted christ that night and later were filled with the holy spirit. it changed both of our lives to this day. that was about 29 years ago .why am a christian is ive seen that same love transform lives and take away things from people that no doctor or psycologist could.
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:56pm
im curious as to why you would ask that ,or are you setting me up for another one your viable points as to why my experience was mental and not spiritual.
davee40
lakeland,fl
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:07pm
Phil, I have gone 180 degree's on you and on this subject.At first it made me angry at your questioning God's existence.

That in turn started the thought process my life before and after......

Then came the inventory of my blessings before and after........

Next was my wealth of friends, brothers and sisters before and after.

This christian thing really ain't hard to do, and the "perks" out of this world.

Thank you for giving me a jump start Phil, I was starting to get a little lax.............

Three steps to happiness

I CAME
I CAME TO
I CAME TO BELEIVE
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:11pm
God,   Need pics!
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:32pm
so Al you looking for pics of Gods CC .
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:35pm
and just to let you know al found my exhaust flappers at n3 fo 10.50 each,beats the hell out of 25.00 @ skidim or overtons
davee40
lakeland,fl
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 11:01pm
It just hit me.... I have seen God. Just Look at the photos the Hubble is sending back. It can't be coincidence.
bj
hasbeenskier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 10:35am
look at it this way, Faith is like a fresh tune-up for your soul, good thoughts bring good results, a belief comes from within and guides you daily, I am in no way a thumper and i have this same discussion with my neihgbor because he is the furthest man from believing in God......yes, i do respect him because he is older than me, I question Gods existance many times because of war, earthqaukes, floods, I 100% respect your thoughts Phil, the Bible is a manual to guide you thru life to choose the right path between good and evil. I dont think any less or anymore of you because of your beliefs. like i said, you try to rationalize the way things are in todays society and it does make you wonder where God is in the grand scheme of things. if it wernt for the commandments, i wouldve probably killed at least 10 people already, woman?? dont even go there, thats what guides me everyday, when i sit in my car on the way to work, I talk to whats refered to as God, my wife has no idea I pray, but it brings out the good in people
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 10:42am
Phil, I didnt read thru so i do have to ask, what do you think happens once we die?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Phil, I didnt read thru so i do have to ask, what do you think happens once we die?

72 Virgins
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 12:28pm

im curious as to why you would ask that ,or are you setting me up for another one your viable points as to why my experience was mental and not spiritual.

I was just curious. I was not looking to set you up for anything.

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

72 Virgins

Quinner, You guys probably think that's crazy right? But it's no different than many of the claims Christianity makes.

Quote Phil, I didnt read thru so i do have to ask, what do you think happens once we die?

Eric,

Thanks for the comments.

Actually, I think that when you die that's it your dead. Lights out, no after life, no reincarnation no anything. That's why I like to say you only live once.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:16pm
usually the virgins are fat and ugly quinner, but they do specialize....

Phil, do you believe in the unexplainable?, apparitions, I personally have had encounters and sitting here thinking about still makes the hair raise on my arms
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:34pm

usually the virgins are fat and ugly quinner, but they do specialize....

Phil, do you believe in the unexplainable?, apparitions, I personally have had encounters and sitting here thinking about still makes the hair raise on my arms

Like ghosts? No, I don't believe in that or anything supernatural for that matter. The mind can be a very powerful thing. It's all psychological.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:43pm
not when 2 people see the same thing, your body creates heat which is energy, that energy will leave your body....whether its in the form of a soul or something to that nature
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:59pm
No, can't believe that. Ever wonder where all the ghosts are from 9/11? Why is it that there are these one off ghost sightings in random places but they never happen at locations where thousands of people have been slaughtered? Considering how many people have died through out the history of the world, one would think that the signs of ghosts would be everywhere.
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:24pm
Phosphor, this is a difficult question to ask and I don't want you to think I am being sarcastic. Were you subjected to some sort of trauma while you were Catholic, perhaps by a trusted member of the church?

Again, not trying to be hurtful, but an honest question.
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Hey Phil,
The Old Testament has got some color! The stories are rich, full, and as you have noted well, at times quite troubling. Those old stories just don't fit so well into our society. What a culture that was back then, most of the stories come from a period of time when the people were nomadic and survival was a daily top of the list concern. Not just survival of life, but survival of culture. I think that if one does thorough study of Jewish Patriarchy in comparison to the other cultures of the era there is a discovery, that at times, the Jewish law code was an improvement, a move forward. for me to think about such important things...............

Unfortunately for Christians, there is no place in the books that says when you get to the new world and you develop your three branches of government and you have a modern society you can jettison all the barbarism I recommended in the first books(leviticus, exodus,deuteronomy). Why is it that no one ever says these books are immoral? Christians just say they don't have to do this anymore because Jesus brought us the doctrine of grace. But Jesus also said that "Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" If this is the best book that we have, as it says in proverbs, people should be beating their children with rods.

You decide what is good in the good book. You cherry pick these books based on your own ethical intuitions.

When I hear Christians say things like, "There's nothing you can say that will change my mind". Just imagine something like that being said in medicine. Statements like that prove that you are not taking any state of the world into account into your beliefs.

Truth is, this stuff can be found in the New Testament also.

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

-Luke 19:27

phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by 502Python 502Python wrote:

Phosphor, this is a difficult question to ask and I don't want you to think I am being sarcastic. Were you subjected to some sort of trauma while you were Catholic, perhaps by a trusted member of the church?

Again, not trying to be hurtful, but an honest question.

Ha Ha. No, that's funny though. I wasn't part of the systematic molesting of children. If I was I would be really rich right now cause I would have sued the crap out of that wealthy Church. Funny how god works though (sarcastic). In my opinion, more evidence that god can't do a damn thing here on earth. I think the Catholic church is the worst of all the Christian Churches. When the pope goes to Africa where aids is a pandemic problem and says that condoms could make the problem worse you really have to ask yourself WTF he's thinking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic