Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

71SN Stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71SN Stringer
    Posted: February-23-2010 at 11:08am
I have been using the Wakeslayer and Keeganino threads as a reference as I undertake my own stringer replacement and I thought I would post some pictures as I move forward. This is my current status, dry fitting the stringers. Most of the PITA work is done and time permitting I am hopeful to get them set within the next two weeks.

FrankT
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 11:21am
Frank, looking good!

Before you attach the stringers to the hull, I would recommend grinding the old gel out of the bilge where the new glass will attach (at least 6" along the stringers). Attaching glass to glass will be a much better bond than glass to gel. I found the gel to be thick and brittle on the BFN... so I ground every last bit of it out.

One trick that I remember hearing was to glass the underside of the water channels before placing the stringers in the boat... much easier than glassing in place and upside down!
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 11:35am
I intend to rough up the existing glass. Hopefully this will be the last of the PITA work. I am planing on glassing the stringers before I put them in with 4oz fabric and epoxy. I will try to post some pictures of this process.

FrankT
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 1:04pm
Looking good!

It's interesting to me to see all the notches the Nautiques have compared to my Supra.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 1:08pm
Looking good Frank!

I agree with Tim on getting the gel out of there. I got about 95% of it.
Assuming you are using CPES and covering with a coat of epoxy, I am not sure you need to glass the entire stringer before you put them in. Glassing the drains, however, will make life much easier. One thing about the drains is that I think it will be a lot easier to round them at the corners a bit. Corners are a biatch to glass. I am glassing over the drains and notches entirely and then grinding them out. Measuring and cutting holes in the fabric accurately is pretty much, for me, not happening. A grinding bit on the dremel is a hell of a lot faster and less frustrating. I do think the water intakes are going to be in your way too. They are easy to remove, and will be sealed better when re-installed with 5200.
I am curious about the larger notch where it appears you from motor mounts are going to be. What was there before? What engine did you have. My mounts sit on top. I assume the larger notch further forward is for your pylon mount. I still have to figure out what to do there.

Keep the pics and updates coming!!!

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 2:35pm
I do have two notches. From the rear the first is for the engine mount. The engine is a 318 Chrysler LA and it site down about an inch. I have an angle bracket that sits between the mount and the stringer which will allow me to bolt through the stringer as opposed to just down into it. The second notch is for the pylon support. I will be using a piece of white oak for this. On the outside of the stringer I will be laminating another piece of white oak, about 30" long, that runs from the engine mount to the pylon mount for additional support.    

FrankT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 2:40pm
I would be curious to see what you are talking about with the mount. Is this something you are through bolting prior to installing the stringer?
My mounts sit on top and will just be lagged deep into the stringer on both the motor and the trans.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 4:56pm
Here is a picture of he mounts. Left is the front and right being the rear. Not certain if the front angle bracket is factory or not. It came out with two lags but I am going to weld in studs at the engine mount and lag into the stringer in front and rear. On the side of the angle I plan on bolting through the stringer. The rear should be the same as yours. I plan to install it the same as the front.

FrankT
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 5:00pm
Nice pics Frank and great work. You are ahead of me by light years! My wood was supposed to be here yesterday but now is coming at the end of the week. I have a local supplier that I am getting all my glass from, but not sure yet if they have the epoxy I need.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 5:06pm
Interesting. I will dig up a couple pics of my mounts tonight. When I asked about how you were through bolting, I had something else in mind. Were these original? Or do you think someone fabbed them up to get around stringer rot??
I did something kind of similar with the trans mounts on the Mustang. I drilled a backing plate to match, and then alternated which way the bolts went so in the unlikely event that something got loose, I would still have the ability to tighten half of them, which would be more than adequate to hold them.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 5:29pm
My mounts have holes that look like you could through bolt them horizontally to the stringers. Cant see the holes in this pic but you can see how the mounts go down along the inside of the stringer.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2010 at 8:19pm
My son and I glassed one side of the stringers today, 4oz cloth and 2:1 epoxy. Hopefully tomorrow we will flip and do the other side. Plan is to set into the hull glassed and only have to do the fillet within the boat.
I mix epoxy by weight and total weight applied on both stringers was about 400 grams. Assuming two coats on each stringer, 4 total, a conservative estimate of epoxy is 3200 grams, 7 lbs., less than a gallon.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 1:07pm
Frank,

You are not going to glass the stingers in? I think you need to for strength. Also, no CPES? Did you put a couple coats of epoxy on the stringers prior to starting the layup? The secondaries look raw.

I did look and my mounts are the same as yours, I just don't have the plate. I would be interested to hear if others with that year of boat have them, or if them were added after the fact to combat stringers starting to rot.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 1:35pm
If you through bolt a stringer and maybe glass a floor over it, how do you pull the engine and how do you set it on a stand?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 2:37pm
Greg - I think a typical design is to have a threaded bolting plate on the back side of the stringer - it has to be retained such that it doesn't drop when all the bolts are out!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Frank,

You are not going to glass the stingers in? I think you need to for strength. Also, no CPES? Did you put a couple coats of epoxy on the stringers prior to starting the layup? The secondaries look raw.

I did look and my mounts are the same as yours, I just don't have the plate. I would be interested to hear if others with that year of boat have them, or if them were added after the fact to combat stringers starting to rot.

The stringers will be glassed in. I intend to thicken some epoxy up, make a fillet and then glass over this with three layers of fiberglass tape, 2-3 inch pieces offset about an inch and then 1-6 inch to cover it all. This will give me three layers of 7oz at the joint which will be significantly stronger than the original detail.

I am glassing the stringers up front to try to avoid glassing them within the boat. I did not thin and prime the stringers. The US composites product is very thin and the fir soaked it up quite well. All we did was lay out the cloth, weighted it, and then used a plastic trowel to wet it out. It worked quite well, smooth, bubble and wrinkle free. Once it's dry will trim the excess and use some narrow strips to seal up the cut outs. The stringers will get another coat or two brushed on as well. All I am trying to do is seal up the stringers and I normally wouldn't even glass them but the more I worked with the fir the more concerned I got as the grain is somewhat inconsistent. The cloth does provide some strength but what I am really using it for is to proved a good uniform thickness of epoxy.

The engine mounting plate may have been added at some point but I don't know for sure. The welds don't look that great but the hole punchings look like a manufactured product.

FrankT
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 12:36pm
Finally set the stringer last night. It took quite a bit longer to grind than anticipated. It would appear that Correct Crafts tolerance was not very tight and at several locations on the secondary stringers ½” of resin had to be ground out.

In my opinion you have to stabilize the trailer. It flexes and moves quite a bit and lowering the boat makes getting in and out a lot easier.

What we did was to dry set the stringers first and then made several braces to hold everything the way we wanted. The braces in the front and back fit tight to the sides of the boat and hold the center line. Then we cut some legs and temporarily raised the jigged stringers about 18 inches so we could apply the epoxy underneath. Then we unscrewed the legs and lowered into the boat. After that we created some fillets with some plastic spoons. We may have some touch ups after the braces are removed.

Here are some of my epoxy tricks. I like to use old coffee creamer bottles for dispensing epoxy while mixing. The spout allows small amounts to be poured and they clean up well with a paper towel. To mix larger quantities I make a mixer out of a dowel and flat piece of wood, this is part of a paint stick, and an electric drill. I reuse anything plastic for mixing. Taller cottage cheese containers work well if you are adding silica. I mix epoxy by weight and graduations are not necessary.

FrankT           
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 1:16pm
Looking good Frank.

I totally agree on the loose tolerances. I used a pretty good amount of filler between the hull and stringers in a couple spots. Mine were cut exactly like the originals so it was a factory thing.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 3:35pm
Looking good. Interesting to see how you glassed the stringers. What's the reasoning behind using weights to "pull" the glass tight? Does this give a better bond than just rolling it or using a squeegee?
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 5:14pm
We weighted to pull the fabric tight and eliminate any wrinkles or bubbles. We used 4oz fabric but if you feel heavier is better the same came be done with 8oz or multiple layers. The other advantage is keeping the surface horizontal is it allows better buildup per coat and eliminates any runs. On the secondary stringers we are doing the layout, then glassing, and then going to do our cuts. This should be quicker and better.

FrankT      
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2010 at 12:35pm
Make some progress but time to work on the SN is sometimes hard to find. Spoon fillets are done and half of the joints are taped. Tape detail is two layers of 3" offset about and inch then both covered with a piece of 6". With the drainage slots we basically have six locations about 4 feet long. Secondary stringers are rough cut but need to be sealed and glassed before they get set. Once everything is taped in a another cost of epoxy will be brushed on.

FrankT

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 11:54pm
Some updated pictures. Primary stringers are in and taped. Secondary stringers are being glassed. Trying something different on these pieces as I intend to cut the notches and drain holes after they are glassed.

FrankT
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 1:17am
Frank! boat looks great your almost there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 1:19am
Looks good Frank!

When do you think you will be done with the stringers? It is getting nice out!!

Mike N

1968 Mustang

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 1:28am
no foam i guess...looking good!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 11:34am
I am hopeful to get all the sub-floor and floor back in by the end of April but free time is the issue. If I am lucky the secondary stingers will get set on Monday evening as it takes 4 days to pre-glass.

FrankT
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 11:46am
Pre-glassed secondary stringers are in and fillets complete. Will hopefully find time to tape the joints this weekend. Once this is done the old floor line, kept as a reference point, will be ground smooth and the sides prepped for new carpet. I will be picking up some white oak for the floor battens and the pylon brace.

FrankT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 12:26pm
Looks like you are making good progress Frank.

I will be interested to see what you do do for the pylon mount. Mine was mickey mouse welded iron bracket. I imagine I will do something like I have in the Mustang and I suspect you are going to do here.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 3:51pm
I have seen your pictures and will have something similar. There is a flange on my pylon that gets installed under the pylon cross member which actually bolts through the cross member and the plywood flooring. This flange also has a pin the goes through the pylon. The pin location establishes the thickness of the cross member unless I want to re-drill. Did you have this flange?

FranbkT     
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 4:14pm
I have a small round flange on the pylon. The Mustang had a square one on it. I had to bolt that to the top of the crossmember, cut a square out of the floorboard, and then make a square 1/4" piece to cover that so it was flat for carpeting.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic