NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sound System

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound System
    Posted: February-25-2010 at 6:28pm
Still looking for a sound system for the 93 SN. If anyone's got something or going to upgrade, keep me in mind. There's nothing in there now.
Thanks
Marty
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 3:53pm
I wonder if this would be something good to put in? Any thoughts guys?
It's an Alpine System from Best Buy for around $600 total.
66 Skylark
93 SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 6:08pm
Its gotta be a heck of a lot better than whats in there now!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 7:14pm
Mart,
Polk Audio is becoming more popular in boats because of the make-up of the speaker. I think it is made up mostly of poly and is water resistant, but that's not saying any brand of the same is not any better in construction. I like the sound of the Polk. Have you tried Crutchfield on line. They have great costumer phone service and they send you the hardware for free in most cases too.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 4:23pm
There are some very good deals on the Polk 6.5's on ebay at the moment. Im gonna pick up two pair for myself in the neighborhood of $130. I believe the same speakers are $120 a pair at crutchfield, but as 206 said, you can't really beat Crutchfields' service!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 9:28pm
So on the Polk speakers ,I'm looking for the Prefix 'MM' before the speaker numbers? ex: MM651-----or DB651 ?

Thanks
66 Skylark
93 SN
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 11:15pm
Marty, my boat is at the dealer so I can't look for you, but I bet you can call a CC dealer and they can tell ya. Or Crutchfield can.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 11:34pm
Well, I e-mailed Crutchfield,and they got back to me today.
20 questions, like how much you want to spend, what brand, how many subs, what kind of music I listen too,I answered that one right away---BLUEGRASS!!!!.I told them $500 - $1000. But I'd be happy with a scratch-n-dent sale or refurbished units.I'll wait for the answer back from them for recommendations and maybe check e-bay for some deals, then go from there.
I just thought maybe the 'MM' was marine made or something special for marine, but it looks like most of the Polks are approved for marine use.
I'd love just to take it to WaveNoize or whatever it is beside of Race City Marine at Lake Norman and tell 'Weezy' to do his thing.
Thanks for the info so far though.

Marty
66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 1:35am
Marty,

It is Wakenoize. I thought you were more of a gangster rap guy.

Donald
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 3:21am
MM = Momo I think and not sure why.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 3:23am
I'd just call them while your online and go through some products with them. For 500-1000, you should be the bluedgrass equevilent of "rockin"!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 5:39pm
Marty,
    www.onlinecarstereo.com is also a source I have used sucessfully many times. For a good system similar to what would have been stock but with room to grow I would try

head unit
amp

Throw in two sets of 6.5 polk momos that can handle the 90w rms and you will have an approx 600 dollar system with marine components plenty loud to hear clearly while underway. IF you need to spend the rest of the budget we could add a sub and another amp but I wouldnt. I have tried a ton of this gear give me a call if you have questions
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 5:59pm
Has anyone tried the bass shaker types in a boat? Im thinking the glass would resonate quite well. Most are powered and would make for a quickie install.
Just thinking out loud.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

MM = Momo I think and not sure why.

Yes, MM= MOMO

Andy are you talking about a powered subwoofer?   I had put one in my boat when I first got it. It did OK, it was better than no sub, but you can't really get a whole lot of power out of them and for the money, you could buy an amp and a sub for the same or maybe even less. I used it just because I had it laying around.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:05pm
Another retailer that used and had good experience with and great prices is
Sonic Electronix

Crutchfield is top notch, their customer support is the best out there, but don't always have the best price... I'm still a big fan of Crutchfield though

Whatever you do make sure you get marine grade stuff especially the speakers. someone else mentioned Polk and they are a good choice because both their db and MoMO series are rated for marine use but still have a nice look. I don't like the looks of a lot of the marine speakers with the white grills, but that's just me... IMO you can't beat the polks on price looks, and performance. I also don't think Polk is not the same speaker manufacturer they were 15-20 years ago before they started selling to the big box stores.

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:47pm
I usually don't focus on marine grade with fresh water applications. Working on aircraft electronics for a living, I understand Marine grade to have protective coatings on circuitry and components to protect against salt corrosion. Fresh water applications don't matter to me much, my stuff will never get "drenched". I've put plenty of systems in $300k Baja's which hold up great on the Miss. This year the Hawktique is getting 2-10" Kicker comps running off a 300 watt JL audio amp, kicker comp 6 1/2's running of a punch 75, and a panasonic deck. I spent $300 total, amps and deck are used, speakers are new from crutchfield on clearance. One big thing with speakers that I do for anything outdoor is no foam surrounds, rubber only. This has worked for me, my .02
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 11:58pm
OK, I talked to a guy in VA, that had some stuff on craigslist.He wrecked his car and said he was selling all the stereo equipment he had gotten for Christmas for his vehicle. Get this, out of all the amps,subs,cd player, and speakers, the speakers were the only thing he had left.
Untouched,unmolested,unopened box of 2 pair-yes (4) speakers,
Polk db651's 6.5" 180 watts each, he said since it was his last item and he did pretty good on the sale of everything else he'd let me have the 4 speakers for $50!!!

Did I do good fellows?!!!

Now looking for subs and a amp.Should I go 2 subs or 1 guys? How many watts should the amp be?Then my head unit, what should it be rated at?
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 1:11am
Also do I need a 2-channel or 4-channel? Single voice coil or dual voice coil? Bridgeable or ???
66 Skylark
93 SN
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 12:12pm
This could really get this thread going if there are any more audiophiles on here. I'll give you my opinion, and take it with a grain of salt. Your polks are 60w rms speaker, 50w rms 4 channel amp would work great.

Subs, You can get a good pair of 10" kicker comp vr's, or 12" infinity 1252's for around $100. If you only have the space for one sub, then upgrade the sub. (Mine are going in starboard side bow, removing the heater which I don't ever use.)

Head unit: IF you are going with a 4 channel amp for highs, you will need a deck with 6 channel preamp outputs. 2 channel bridged highs amp, then you only need a deck with 4 channel preamp outs.    If I were to go new from Crutchfield, here is a good setup

Head Unit; Sony CDX-GT640UI             $160
4 ch amp;   Alpine KTP445 (45X4 RMS)     $120
sub amp;    Kenwood KAC-9104D (900w rms) $100
subs;       Infinity 1252's or Kicker Comp VR $100-120

Mobile audio has too many combinations that do work well, depending on how much $$$ you want to spend. This is probably a real basic system that would work great. Be sure to run a dual battery setup, or at least a 1 farad capacitor. You can find decent amp wiring kits with the cap on ebay. I hope this helps a little bit, and I'd be glad to help you along the way with box design etc. You can always email me at jjmoore1@rockwellcollins.com
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 7:28pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 9:55pm
Just call Crutchfield and drop some coin, you'll be very happy you did.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:35pm
Went to Best Buy today to check on that $329 amp and subs-- SOLD OUT! They had 1 amp left, but said I'd have to pay for everything, then they'd call when the subs got there,decided against it.Although the 10" subs would've saved on space.
So question, when I get some subs- 8" 10" or 12"-- when I build a box, how big, depth, ported? Does it have to be a certain depth or not?
They had a Kenwood system, 500 watt amp and 2 10" subs for $200.
Just trying to stay with a budget for now, don't really have the $1000 for what Crutchfield has suggested for me.I'd take it to WakeNoize for that price.
Just chime in on the enclosure and I'll decide after I hit the lottery
Marty
66 Skylark
93 SN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 12:08am
Marty I have the enclousure and the amp send the email you will like the deal
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 12:42am
Sounds good, sent it.
Randy ,I see you lurking at the post, I will call you on your 'isolater' hook-up.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Randy ,I see you lurking at the post, I will call you on your 'isolater' hook-up.

You caught me! I was taking a little break from painting the bathroom. You got a great deal on those polk 6.5. Yeah, feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

When it comes down to it on the amp, sub etc.. it really just depends on how much you want to spend, and how much space you have.

I got my plaque yesterday. Looks great! Makes me want to go out in the garage and uncover her and see how it looks on the dash. Thanks again
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 8:11pm
Marty, I can't imagine why you need all that stuff for the "Purple Rain". Last I recall, "Dueling Banjo's" doesn't have allot of THUMP to it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 8:56am
Tim is that Purple Rain by Prince? I have a crew member who always insists that we put that track on as we are packing the boat and sipping refreshments at the end of the day.
The weird thing is that I am starting to get used to it. This crew member found the DTB CD's that Greg made for me in the car last night and really liked them as well.

Back on topic though I have a 10" Kenwood sub mounted in the bow in enclosure that fires down that works pretty good without taking up to much room. Run two amps one bridged mono for the sub and drive the four speakers out of the other amp.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 9:12am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Tim is that Purple Rain by Prince? I have a crew member who always insists that we put that track on as we are packing the boat and sipping refreshments at the end of the day.
The weird thing is that I am starting to get used to it. This crew member found the DTB CD's that Greg made for me in the car last night and really liked them as well.

Mark, Yes that Purple Rain. However that is what some of us are calling Marty's 93. Prince would be proud of that boat. If you and your mates are winding down to that song I'm a bit concerned. I can think of better music I'd rather to other than that to end a perfect day of boating.

DTB is a good choice as they are growing on me too. I'm liking them the more I listen to them. ( Thanks Greg )
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 11:30am
Marty,
To answer your question about enclosure size/sealed or ported. Box size is calculated by each particular sub. The box size is used to "tune" the sub to a frequency it resonates to the best. Ported boxes usually take about twice the space, and you have to be pretty accurate with diameter and length of the ports. They are also louder, but the subs are more unstable, produce sloppy bass and prone to blowing. Sealed boxes have tighter bass, and take a bit more power to produce the same SPL, but there are not as many variables when building the box. I like sealed boxes for sound quality, ported for SPL. Let me know if this helps or if you have any other Q's.

-Josh
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 11:31am
Dang guys-
So I'm reading these posts and
I'm Gonna Need 2 AMPS!

I am lost on this now.
All I did back in 1978 in my 69 VW Beetle was build a shelf for the back seat, put in 2 6x9 Jensens, put a Jensen 8-track player in and an Audiovox 40 watt Power Booster and I had that Beetle THUMPING!

Everyone in school wanted a system like mine at school then, so over the summer I put in about 30 systems.

Oh, well, someones gonna have to come and help me hook this thing up!
66 Skylark
93 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic