Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sound System

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 11:44am
I'd love too, but you live in the wrong state. I can help you with the box design and wiring over phone or email, I'm putting my stereo in as soon as I get the Hawktique out of storage.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 1:11pm
Marty, heres my two cents I've done the same thing on all my boats and cars and get nothing but compliments except from the ones that dont want to hear it.

1. the deck- must have at 2 rca outputs, an mp3 input and remote control capable preferably wired, doesnt have to be high powered or expensive as it is just passing on the info to the equipment, no marine unless you like white

2. kenwood kgc-4042a- vital to this system. It has 2 input rca and 6 out
                      4 which will go to the 4 channel amp for the mid n
                      highs and 2 for the subs. $113 new and is simple
                      cheap and what makes it all work

3. 4 channel amp- comparable rms output to speakers rms handling

4. mid/highs 4 speakers (your polks)

5.1 or 2 10" bazookas with built in amps- got mine out of scratch n
                                      dent or ebay

Notes; with a brand new walmart battery(largest) you will not be able to start the boat after half hour to hour, one optimma about 2, I run two optimas in parallel and havent killed them in over 6. You will need some wiring parts but they can be picked up at radio shack or the like.

Brian
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 3:40pm
Brian,
Not to start a debate or anything, but you may be mispoken on your battery pack. Series battery packs double your voltage, and maintain the normal current capacity. Most likely resulting in burning up most of your 12V components. Parallel packs double the capacity, and keep the system at 12V. The only pack configuration I've seen in auto's are parallel. Also, you can use an isolator so that as soon as the alternator stops charging, the start battery is disconnected from the rest of the system so you don't ever have to worry about draining that battery when the engine is not running. On many ocasions Ive kept the main system (with hour meeter and etc) running off the start battery, and just the stereo off the aux battery, that way I can use the stereo and keep an accurate log of engine time.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 3:43pm
My bad, parallel would be correct/pos to pos neg to neg,thanks for the correction
Brian
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 3:48pm
Easily done, and I figured it was just a typo. Just didn't want anybody to get the wrong info. I think this has been a great thread on mobile audio from a lot of great minds.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 1:21am
Don't forget a lot of amp makers also include a pass through circuit now. 4-6 pre-outs would indeed be what I look for 1st, but you can cheat with your amps. Also you could pick up a 5-6 ch amp, just watch your heat. They get warm inside.
My Blue 82SOLD!
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 11:52am
The kenwood unit I recommended only has 2 inputs and 6 out, the bazookas you can get with internal amps and work incredible with the "box" that is already there in Martys application (the underbow)
Brian
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:38am
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Oh, well, someones gonna have to come and help me hook this thing up!

Hey Marty, If you don't figure it out by the time you make your trip to the Columbus area, bring the boat along with you and drop it by my house, I'll get it squared away for you! Feel free to give me a call if you need any help.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:45am
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

no marine unless you like white

You can find a lot of marine head units that are not white. I would recommend getting a marine unit because it is going to get wet and it's in a high moisture environment. You should have seen the inside of the non-marine unit that I pulled out of my boat when I got it. It was totally destroyed inside.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:59am
I found pics

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 1:07am
I have to disagree with the Bazooka recommendation... I wouldn't recommend them because:

A: The non-marine type have a paper cone woofer that will not hold up in a hot, moist environment. The marine ones would probably be OK but for what you will pay for a new one you can get a lot more bang for your buck with a seperate amp and woofer....

B: Two Bazooka would take up more room than an amp and a sealed sub box....

C: They just don't have a lot of power... and you need a powerfull amp on a boat because it is an open setting, unlike a car or truck that is enclosed...

D: Well, Look at the amplifier in a Bazooka!

Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:33am
I had one of those EQs in like 94 er 95. Worth the money for sure.
You could get away from it with a HU with 4ch out, and an amp with a pass through circuit though. Plus with a 4ch out you won't lose the imaging.
My Blue 82SOLD!
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 8:36am
Randy, I agree in your open bow about the bazookas but we are talking about a closed bow which ends up being the enclosure that modifies the sound. Have you heard this setup in any closed bow configurations? If you want to spend the extra money for longer life on marine units I'm sure they have a longer life span but all my equipment is still going after 7 yrs and when it poos out it will be time to upgrade the technology with the blue ray dvd/bluetooth/etc whatever they come up with next...One of my bazookas is dual voice coil the other is single. The performance of the dual was superior and I had an electrician do a little upgrade on the single to make it comparable just to note.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:42pm
The Marine head units really aren't any more expensive than the non-marine, and if it gets wet, at least your covered where as if you have a non-marine unit you are going to be buying a new one... even if I had to pay an extra $20 - $50 it would be worth it IMO because I don't like to do things twice.

I don't care how much the closed bow "modifies" the sound of a bazooka, they still have pathetic amplifiers in them, a paper cone woofer with foam surround (that will not hold up in a hot car for more that a few years let alone a boat), and you could do a lot better with a decent sub and amp.

I don't see any need to add an EQ to the system either. I actually thought they stopped making these things back in the early 90's... you just don't see them used anymore. They add a lot of extra distortion and with today's head units and amps with built in crossovers I don't see any need to add the extra wiring that can be a fault point.

I used to have an EQ with "Power Boost" in my 1977 Impala back in high school. Man that thing had some cool lights. Made my cassette tapes sound great!      
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 1:30pm
Randy could you describe the system in your boat,equipment and speaker location? I have an alpine deck,mp3,kenwood eq, 4 bose 151s (old style) infinity 4 ch 444 watt and 2 zooks tucked in the nose, all in all about a grand in it I'd guess.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:39pm
I have a sony head unit, I'm not too crazy about this head unit but it works well for the price... I have the Ipod control and XM receiver that hook up to the head unit so I can control an Ipod or XM mini-receiver. The XM receiver is nice and about all I listen to anymore on the boat... it has a little 1" square receiver that I can remove and plug into my kenwood unit in my truck.

I have three of the Polk db605's in the combing pads and the one by the driver is mounted in the kick panel.

A kicker 700.5    5 channel amp   this is mounted behind the kick panel under the helm along with the Ipod controller and aux. battery, the XM receiver is mounted on the front of the kick panel for easy access, also have a switch and LED for the battery isolator/combiner mounted to this panel.

Polk MOMO 10" sub in a custom built sealed enclosure under the spotters seat.

Two Optima blue tops with an isolator combiner to keep the starting battery isolated while the engine is not running.

Every connection I made was soldered and shrink tubed.

adding it up in my head... HU- 150, amp- 350, polk 605- 100, sub - 100, Ipod and XM controller- 150 so about 800 not including the battery's and isolator...

I wish I had a better head unit, and wish I had gone with the MOMO 6" instead of the db's but it rocks pretty hard.

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:51pm
Sounds sweet, turn it up I think I can hear ya!
Brian
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 1:47pm
Marty,

You can go with one good 4-ch amp. Wire all 4 polks to the front 2 channels (2 on each channel in parallel), and then bridge the rear two channels to run a 10 or 12" sub.

I don't know anything about this Wakenoize guy, but give Mike a call/email and see what kind of deal he can make you on a sub/amp combo. He'll stand behind his stuff and help out where he can. He's also doing the INT boat this year. Be sure to tell him Ryan sent you.

Mike's Liquid Audio
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 3:48pm
Now that's what I'm talking about!

So this will be a simpler install like that.
Got the Polks today, A CCFan hooked me up with a factory amp out of a 206 and the 10" Sub-enclosure.

So all I need now would be the 10" sub, and the Alpine Head unit. It's a rain check from Best Buy on the Alpine from the earlier post.

Or should I go with a different radio?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 3:55pm

Well, I e-mailed Crutchfield,and they got back to me today.
20 questions, like how much you want to spend, what brand, how many subs, what kind of music I listen too,I answered that one right away---BLUEGRASS!!!!.I told them $500 - $1000. But I'd be happy with a scratch-n-dent sale or refurbished units.I'll wait for the answer back from them for recommendations and maybe check e-bay for some deals, then go from there.
I just thought maybe the 'MM' was marine made or something special for marine, but it looks like most of the Polks are approved for marine use.
I'd love just to take it to WaveNoize or whatever it is beside of Race City Marine at Lake Norman and tell 'Weezy' to do his thing.
Thanks for the info so far though.

Marty

Check flea markets.. The only Blue grass music I ever see is on 8 track
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 7:58pm
Do you have any interest in a wired remote? With the HU in the glove box, a wired dash mounted remote is a necessity IMO. Do you use an iPod or other MP3 player? You'll need some sort of aux-in if you do.

I'm a big fan of Alpine's stuff, but you just need to make sure it will do everything you want it to do. I know they have a nice new marine line out with remotes and such.

As for the 10" sub, just make sure it is a 4ohm sub if you plan on running of a pair of bridged channels. I would also recommend making sure that factory enclosure is sealed up nice and tight. I've heard they're known for not being sealed very well.

I'd still recommend calling Mike@MLA and seeing what he'll do for you. I'm sure he'll make you a good deal and may even come up to help you install it.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 12:07am
So I guess I'll need another battery too! Where to mount? In my 93, the battery's in the floor in the middle up under the spotters seat. Should I just keep it simple, get a cheaper battery and just hook everything up to it? Then charge when I get home or what?Could hook up a solar charger to it and just put the panel out on the dash when I'm drifting.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 10:56am
If you wanna go cheap, park your boat in the driveway and pretend to drive it. Just kiddin, hoping for a laugh. I'm not putting in a 2nd battery this year, finances just don't allow this year. It will be a year of old fashioned watching my voltage if the motor isn't on. I will, however, put in a 1 farad cap. Just make sure both batteries are the same when you make the change. Unmatched pairs have different charging/discharging characteristics. I'm looking at $500 for batteries, wiring, and an isolator.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 11:35am
It is possible to run different types of batteries if you want to keep your starting battery and just add a GEL/AGM for the stereo/equip. I've been running a lead-acid starting battery and an Optima D34m wired to a perko with a Yandina C100 combiner for 3 years w/o any problems. I usually hook up a charger a once or twice per month to top them off.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 12:47pm
It is possible, and may work just fine in many applications. I'm a bit more particular and prefer to have my electrical system in an ideal state. That doesn't mean the other way is wrong, some of us just have different ways of doing things. There are definately things I'll do on my own stuff, that I would never recommend to someone else because I wouldn't want any liability on myself in case something went wrong.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 2:36am

Could hook up a solar charger to it and just put the panel out on the dash when I'm drifting.

I have four, they don't work as advertised. Nowhere near it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic