NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

River Run 2011 Date Change/ Poll

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: River Run 2011 Date Change/ Poll
    Posted: February-28-2010 at 1:48pm
                        Dear fellow CCFans
Thanks to all that helped to make RR an outstanding event.A special thanks also to Mr. Ralph Maloon, Art Cozier and to Bud Sellers for the info and sharing session that was such a hit on Sat nite.
As this event matures we will have to do some changes to make it more user friendly.Keith has offered his help with on line registration and contact numbers for info and lodging.The area in central Florida offers a venue not available anywhere else for the boating members of this site.
With that being said, I propose to move the date forward several weeks, maybe to coincide with the Famous Mount Dora Boat Show.I think that a democratic show of hands will be the best way for this event to move to bigger and better.
Karen and I are open to ideas and events that will include several different boater types.Some will want to raft up at the Glen and consume vast amounts of adult beverages, while others may want to make a "road trip to see the monkeys".There can also be a trip north to Palatca and the "Wooden Boats on display there".
We have a diamond in the RUFF , what can we do to bring this event to the next level????????
Please give us your input as to what we can do to make 2011 even better.............Billy/Karen
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 3:40pm
Yes, the several weeks, Say in March does sound good. Just because the states had a ridiculous winter of 2009/2010. Some of the snows probably kept some people home.

The events I like, the Monkey Run,and the Run to the Glen, well I'll have to wait on the Glen next year since I missed that with the impellor problems.I'd like to see an 'older' boat show, do those shows include 'swap meets' ; flea market type events? That's kinda what I look forward to.

With my problems this year, maybe someone in the 'parts' business, bring some items for just in case, belts,impellors,spark plugs,etc.

Also I hear at the other events, prop businesses bring props to try out on your boats.

I'm in favor of doing other things, it's just that with that area it's kinda spread out and having to trailer a boat if needed somewhere else ,would be nice, but maybe would be limited to certain people that tow with RV's.

I liked staying in that quaint campground with everyone, especially the camp fires at night.

The Monkey Run is a must though, with a sign-up sheet in advance, so that would be kinda laid out with the # of boats to ride in and the # of people to ride with someone else if needed. We all know how tight that river can get.

And if anyone's left behind, we need a cb radio or hand held radios that would be workable in that no service area.Reid needs to put us up a cell tower out there somewhere.

I like the idea of other things to do, or a pick this or that, but some say this is a big party event- not a planned out, go to the restroom at this time, go eat at this time,go to bed at this time.

It's like NASCAR this year- No Rules-- Just Have Fun and Fellowship!

But I'm hooked now and up for anything! Can't wait till next year!

Marty
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 4:39pm
Billy,

Chris ( Skibum) was saying that Bike Week is the next weekend after the 500 race. This could make it hard to get that Campground again. I am open to any weekend. We need to check for other area events to make sure we are OK. However, some of the guys like to come down for the 500 and this could make it difficult for them to come twice in three to four weeks.

Donald
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 4:58pm
Donald , the next week end is a no no,Too many people and events for Bike week, this is a 10 day event that just gets started on Friday and will continue for another week.
Ideas would be based on the boat show weekend.This would allow for a number of options not available any other time of the year.There will be over 350 classic boats at the show in March.
Mount Dora hosted this event for years , now the location has changed and it has only gotten bigger and better.
It appears that Karen, Chip and the Dart will be making a trip back to Florida in 3 weeks.We will call it a "Dry River Run." Gotta go and check it out, lottsa old boats and parts and people and did I mention old boats too?????????????
Big Wave Dave and his lovely wife Kathy will be our host and guide for this years Mount Dora Boat Show.It is a nasty job but we will do what is best for the SITE.Sometimes life SUCKS, stuck at a boat show in the middle of Florida in late March, surrounded by fellow boaters.
Oh the pain we go thru for the benefit of my fellow CCFan's,gotta go see...............Billy/Karen/Chip/Dave & Kathy
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 10:14pm
I just walked in the door and already your talking about next year! I'm just now telling everybody about this years run.I think later will be fine,we were very lucky this year,it was raining Saturday morning in the Orlando area and 48 out! I also saw a whole lot of bikes headed south yesterday.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

However, some of the guys like to come down for the 500 and this could make it difficult for them to come twice in three to four weeks.

Building on that...

River Run looks like a great event, wish I could have made it down and chances are its not in the cards for me to make it in the future, so this is just the opinion of a disinterested third party.

The River Run was started because Reid and a few of his buddies wanted to supplement their trip to the race with a water component. As far as I know, they've been doing it for years. Just doesn't seem right at this point to say, "Sorry Reid, this is what we want to do to your event."

Not saying the proposal doesnt sound like a good time too, nor do I think that Reid is incapable of speaking up for himself. Its just that this is what I thought of when I read the suggestion.

I searched for the right words so as to not make this sound fussy and cranky (too much of that going on here lately....must be the long winter) and I'm not sure I succeeded, so I jsut want to make sure everyone knows I'm not being critical... just making an observation.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 12:41pm
I was lucky enough to be able to tag along with Reid and crew down to the 500 this year, spend the week in florida and then the following weekend at the river run it was a very good time. That being said with them already a week apart as long as it was at least 3-4 weeks later it might be easier to do both events with more seperation. Quite a few of us talked about moving it significanly later to ensure that it would be a warm weekend in northern florida, lesson the chances of having to trailer boays through snow, and allow some of us in the northern climates to safely be able to leave our boats unwinterized after returning. The water in the springs might have been 72 but that water out in the lake was only just barely warm enough for a northern boy.

I am sure Reid will eventually chime in after he recovers from being away from work for 9 days, but he was not opposed to possibly moving the party back a few weeks.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 1:56pm
Chime, chime, I'm in. Thanks Larry for your concern in your posting, as you were indeed correct in how this gathering originally started. When the decision was originally made to move it a week later than Daytona I was "initially" not too pleased, but realized quickly that a little compromise on my part would make the event better for the group, PLUS, since we were typically down in Fla the week before Daytona anyway doing some boating, we just decided to move that week forward to after the race and take in the Keys between the events, so it ended up being swell for Joe and myself. Now, as for moving it further into March, as Joe mentioned, I was indeed one of those discussing this as a positive option, and for the same reasons stated above. My only negative, which Joe may have convinced me otherwise of, was if it would possibly be too late for some of the Northern contingency as it might not fit as well into their winter break scenarios, when they really need a break from the cold. But if that's not an issue, than I'm all for moving it out to March. And to coincide with the Mount Dora/Tavares classic show, could be really fun. Mount Dora is only 35 miles from Parramore's so like the Monkey Run on the Silver River, it's a close-by destination. Rodney and I did this trip a handful of years ago and it was really neat, especially cruising down the scenic Dora Canal. http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/boating/the_dora_canal.aspx. It could make for a really nice Friday destination. So count my vote to move the SJRR to the later date.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

.... So count my vote to move the SJRR to the later date.    

Well now don't I feel like a ninny for sticking my nose in. I debated input (as I often do when my input is not warranted) but for some reason I couldn't help myself this morning. That'll teach me.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 2:09pm
Making it later would always be better but we'd have to be careful getting it too late and run into the spring break crowd. What are the actual dates?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2010 at 2:46pm
Larry, glad to see your input.This event, yes, was all Reidp's idea, but it has taken on a life of its own.With that being said change can sometimes be a good thing.
We missed the "bullet" two years running on the weather, not going to push the envelope again.Moving the event to late March will give us better odds on warm weather, and to coinside with the boat show is a win/win situation for all involved.
The warmer water and sunshine may inspire some of the snow birds to leave the blah behind and enjoy an early boating week end.
Also of note, if you expressed an opinion , do you intend to come ?This was a closed vote for those that intend to attend or for those returning after another CCFan event.
I will expect to see your name on the first line of the registration page.There will be plenty of time to sign up for 2011, see you there.................Billy
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 12:03pm
I was sitting round the house talking with Kim last night when we got on the subject of the River Run (and I didn't even have to bring it up). Kim said she wished that the event would be pushed back til March as it would probably work better for her to able to attend. The weather would be warmer and much more enjoyable for standing round in a spring drinking a cold beer. Wow! funny you should mention that as it is being discussed as we speak. So.......count me in for moving it back a month to coincide with the forementioned things to do. After talking with the Doc we will have a plan as far as launching boats for the Monkey Run and the Glenn. No formal dinner for Fri (or Sat)night but give the Blackwater Inn a heads up with how many Fans will be showing up to eat. Keep the cookout just what it is a potluck of sorts but maybe those of us who are driving in can help out those who are flying in by picking up whatever they want to contribute. By keeping it simple and Fans stepping up when help is needed as they have always done is what makes this event great and folks keep returning year after year. I received an email from Art Cozier saying that he had a great time and that you can bet he'll be there anytime the CCFans invade middle Fla.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:20am

Just want to let everyone know, I've been sitting back and watching
the people and events for over two years now. And I have attended
a couple or two that were great events with all.

And I have talked with Keith a number of times about the events.
So, I did not know if anyone would like me to help and step up
the River Run in Florida.

And I did not want to step on any toes... by anymeans..
So If I get the green light from everyone.

I think some of my input will help to keep everyone very happy.

Dave
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:28am
Dave , as it stands now, nothing has changed,But..........
We, Karen, Chip, Dave and Kathy are going to Mt. Dora Boat Show in March to see what they have to offer and how it will help attendance at our event.
Moving the SJRR to late March will almost guarantee the weather,and more will allow more CCFans to enjoy the multitude of activities available in and around Orlado.
This may be a WIN WIN for all parties involved.Thanx for the offer,we will need you later to tie up some loose ends . Billy
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 2:10am
C/CFAN friends..warmer weather/water..old boats..great campground (Parramores)..more guys from "up north"..sounds like a winner to me. Count us IN!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 9:26am

Just a thought, maybe we can have the event for a week of fun.
And if we can get an group rate for the cabins for the week would be nice too.

P.S. Marty I'll take you to Daytona to swim with the sharks next year. Or we can just get a good tan and look at the new swim wear...

Dave
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 10:25am
We agree on mid to late March. FL should warm up nicely by then. As menhtioned above, we would've had to re-winterize this year...heck, it snowed all day here yesterday.

We hated to miss this year, but we won't miss next year. I already talked to Lorrie and she is just waiting on a firm date. We're also are going to add Thursday night so we can make the monkey run.

Glad to see from the thread that it was a good time for all this year!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 11:30am
We sure did miss you guy's Greg. Hope ya'll are doing okay. It just didn't seem to be the same without the pumpkin patch and two "Outback" hats cruising up the river.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:16pm
Thanks Tim, we appreciate that. The hats will be back next year and I might even have graphics on the BFN by next year.
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

We sure did miss you guy's Greg.

I got to second that. One reason that Patti did not make the trip was no Amy and no Kim. To long to wait till next year to see you guys. Hope to get us all together way before the next River run.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 12:55am
I missed you too Greg,I was looking foward to see the Great Pumpkin!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:01am
threadjack....48 on the way home from the store tonight Gary at 6pm. Gotta go more south I guess.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:18am
I talked to Dad tonight,it's in the very low 50's,you'll have to go further south than even that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:26am
Hard to go more south than that unless you're gonna go see kapla. Ain't a bad idea now that I think of it...sure do like the pics of some of his boat crew.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:02am
I like that milk chocolate water too,the gators cant see ya to find you
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:37am
can find you only if you jump off the swim platform right on their back.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

To long to wait till next year to see you guys. Hope to get us all together way before the next River run.

Thanks again and suits us John. We'd be happy to have some folks over again. We'll want to put some thought into the date so we don't cause any issues but sounds like a plan for later in the year. Also, the green living room is gone; I know some of you will be crushed.

Or maybe we come your way this year? We'll see...June to early September are prime here.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic