NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 891011>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 1:49pm
Scott,

You're doing pretty good. You're making great progress.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:17am
Hello everyone.

I have been steadily putting her back together and will show you what I have done with some pictures but I need HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

Pete, I have read the threads you suggested from Eric Lavine but I still think I am clueless when it comes to putting the engine back in this week.

I will explain everything later but for now, I need big time advice from every sole who has ever re-installed their engine to tell me how to get this thing aligned. Here are the pictures of my mounts:

I have a good friend coming over tuesday and wednesday night to help me try and put this in. I just about absolutely have to have it in this week by wednesday night when my help runs out.

I am trying to make it to the deal at Callaway Gardens next weekend and I am scheduled for a family vacation using the boat starting June 4th.

Please feel free to comment on anything to do with mounting the engine and the proper alignment. I will post pictures of my progress tuesday after I get the passenger side wheel assembly put back together in order to move the boat to where the engine is on my property.

Thanks.

Scott Branum
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:24am
One more thing,

I am not worried too much about the front to back positioning of the engine as that will just involve placing it forward or backward on the primary stringers. There appears to be no great problem with the side to side adjustment either if you look at the pictures. I think you loosen a bolt and move the mounts side to side or in and out whatever you want to call it. It's the up and down that bothers me. There does not seem to be any small adjustments in the up or down movements...just the given space between the holes on the side of the mount. What if you only need a 1/16th" or whateverr other small amount?   

I may also say that for whatever reason, the passenger side stringer is about 3/16th's lower than the drivers side............don't ask me why or how because I thought they were level at one point. I thought about stainless steel shims for the passenger side if necessary.

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:53am
Ran out to the workshop and took these pictures.

1. Area under the dash uncarpeted but otherwise ready to go:

2. Rear part of the boat without the floor piece:

3. Area where the engine will be:

4. Battery box, pilon and vent hose area:

Still have minore things to do like install the back floor, ski pylon, carpet, in-dash depth finder, bilge pump and more white bilge epoxy. I missed a few other things but it's going to be close.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I pulled the whell assembly and leaf springs off and completely redoing them. Got to put them back together tomorrow so that I can move the boat for the engine install.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 8:51am
Scott,
Take a look at your mounts again and notice the threaded section through the rubber isolators. Theses are for your up and down adjustment. Just like you noticed the in and out rods with their pinch bolts, the up and down threaded rod has it's pinch bolt on top. Before you and your friend drop it in the boat, I suggest lossening up all the mounts to make sure they aren't rusted up/stuck. Looks like from the pictures they could use some oil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 9:26am
Thanks Pete. I was going to loosen things up like you suggested earlier but I was not expecting to do it until next week. I had to adjust my schedule when my friend said he would help me so it kind of took me off guard.

I will be so glad to get through with this project as it is beginning to stress me and the family. I usually fish and play golf in the spring but I have done neither since I started this project around the first of March. I quit keeping track of expenses but I think I am in the neighborhood of $2400 so far including a few things not in a regular rebuild.

Thanks,

scott
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 11:29am
I blew past that figure months ago and am a lot further behind you! You are moving fast and everything looks really good. Let us know how the engine installation goes. Its all fun and games till then, but people do it all the time so I am sure you will get it right with a little help from the CCF crew.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 3:43pm
Scott,

You're doing good. You've progressed really quickly. Everything looks pretty good though. The engine is a tricky one. I had someone else place it for me onmy marks and then I just did the alignment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 3:53pm
Scott,
Going back to you using the full 2" thickness for the main straingers, did you keep the distance between them the same? IE: the extra 1/2" thickness on each side is outboard. I'm asking to make sure you'll have enough port to starboard engine adjustment with the mounts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Scott,
Going back to you using the full 2" thickness for the main straingers, did you keep the distance between them the same? IE: the extra 1/2" thickness on each side is outboard. I'm asking to make sure you'll have enough port to starboard engine adjustment with the mounts.

Pete,
I am not sure sitting here now but I think I put the stringers in to where the outside of the mounts will be on the edge of the primaries bordering the port and starboard side. My thinking was that that would be the widest I should put the stringers and I could always come in a tad with the adjust capability in my mounts in the above pictures. The engine mounts also have two sets of holes in them: one for an outside setting and one for a closer setting. Finally, I basically set the 2" primaries right in the middle of where the other ones came out and made sure the first beam I set in was parallel to the old one I left in the boat and that the second one was parallel to the first new one.

While you are reading, is my engine rare or not? I have seen a lot of boats and looked on this website and I don't believe I have ever seen one like mine in someone elses boat. I am pretty sure I have not seen one because if I did, I would have talked to the individual and compared mine to his.

Off to Lowe's to spend some more $$$ before I take my nap
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 4:26pm
Scott,
You've got the OMC engine correct? No, they aren't really rare just less of then used. They were a premium option and thought to cost a extra $200 back then. BTW, they are slower out of the hole (not much) but real screamers top end compaired to the Fords.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 4:49pm

Scott,
You've got the OMC engine correct? No, they aren't really rare just less of then used. They were a premium option and thought to cost a extra $200 back then. BTW, they are slower out of the hole (not much) but real screamers top end compaired to the Fords.

Only spent $1.62 at Lowe's.

You are correct. In the original owners manual, next to "Engine Model No.", the first owner wrote "225OMC,307C.I." and Boat Model No. "SK 3678". I have had it up to 55mph if everything in the boat is perfectly balanced and there is no wind. I have two original props. I can't ever remember which one is for "top in" and which one is for "pulling". I will look at them and post a picture.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

I have had it up to 55mph if everything in the boat is perfectly balanced and there is no wind. I have two original props. I can't ever remember which one is for "top in" and which one is for "pulling". I will look at them and post a picture.

Before you start making any speed claims, I'd like to warn you that there are members here that will want the claim certified with GPS, witnessed and probably notarized!!

Do get some WOT RPM's when you're out there trying props. The prop with the lesser pitch (second number on prop - first will be dia.) will be your "pulling" prop. What are the props you have?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 8:30pm
I got my 73 skier with the 302 waukesha up to 49.6 mph on gps in November right before I starting tearing it apart. I bet with the right prop and a faster top end engine a few more mph would be possible. I only had 1 passenger and was not paying much attention to the wind, but we starting bouncing too much to go much faster. I hope to break 50 when I am done.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 9:00pm

I have had it up to 55mph if everything in the boat is perfectly balanced and there is no wind. I have two original props. I can't ever remember which one is for "top in" and which one is for "pulling". I will look at them and post a picture.

Before you start making any speed claims, I'd like to warn you that there are members here that will want the claim certified with GPS, witnessed and probably notarized!!

Do get some WOT RPM's when you're out there trying props. The prop with the lesser pitch (second number on prop - first will be dia.) will be your "pulling" prop. What are the props you have?

The prop in this picture reads "12RH15 Cupped Edge 1 74 NI BRAL Grand Rapids Michigan 30373". I can't read the other one because it's on the boat:

Here is the engine before we attept to mount it tomorrow:

My speedometer goes up to 55 and I have pegged it however that does not mean I am going that fast until a proven method to calculate the speed is done
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 11:47pm

Scott,

Pete,

Again, you would be correct. I had just enough room to put the engine in today. My buddy and I believe we are 90% finished with aligning the engine and screwing it down. I would have been better off to have had the passenger side primary about 1/2" wider but I think I got away with it. Learned alot about that packing area behind the coupling that you described to me. During the course of the rebuild, it had moved over an inch and a half. we put it back where it is supposed to be and put vice grips on the top and bottom being careful not to scratch anything so it would not move while we lined the engine up. He is coming over again tomorrow to finish it up and I will post more pictures. thanks again for all your input.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 10:32pm
Great News!!

After about 6 hours of work, the engine is in and is virtually flush at the couplings.

I will give all the credit to my friend John who is the last owner of this boat 21 years ago. I just operated the engine hoist up and down. I almost screwed up and put the primaries too close. After all adjustments were done to their maximum adjustment, the coupling was still .010(ten thousandths) off on the passenger side. Their was no room whatsoever to make up this difference and we thought about just leaving it as it was or take the mounts to an machine shop and let them do a couple of things.

Well, John decided to take the mounts and the brackets off the boat, took them back to my workshop, put them on my bench grinder for over thirty minutes in about six locations and he found the .010 we were off. We put it back on the engine, checked everything and it was flush, perfect, sweet,..........or whatever you want to call it.

Will post this weekend. Hope to have it all done by monday or tuesday and three days to shine everything up.

scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 9:03am
Scott,
It's great to hear the engine's in!! Yes, it does sound like you just made it with the minor mods to the mounts. Now, just hope it stays that way but with the new stringers i'm confident it will. You will want to double check the alignment after you've had it in the water a couple times.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 1:33pm
Now there's some attractive exhaust manifolds!!!

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 11:37pm
I bet it feels great Scott! After all the little things I have done wrong that turned out to be, as my favorite new phrase is, "within tolerance", that turn out to be correctable, I know the feeling you had when the tolerance seemed too far off. When is the Maiden Voyage?

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:08am
Keegan,

Now that I look at it, the engine did not seem too bad compared to my recent problems that I never thought would be a problems. See my threads on my bilge pump, steering cable and now the exhaust hose.

I thought I had it made after the engine but I am more depressed about the whole thing now more than at any other time over the last two and a half months

scott
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:26am
You've got to lighten up man. You are almost done, and you're letting the small stuff get to you. You already did the difficult work.

I've had many times when I couldn't do something as simple as thread a nut onto a bolt, Reaching into the engine at odd angle, back hurting, knuckles busted - not happy. Come back the next morning, and thread it first try.

As they say, s--- happens.

The bildge pump only had 4 wires. Not that many combinations. Know that you'll figure it out and you will. Same with the exhaust hose. You have a straight exhaust hose, you need a bent exhaust hose hose. Not so difficult. Try a few things and see if you can't get it to take the shape you want. Try bending it around a rigid post, like a basketball backboard post. If it is the metal ring hose, it should take the shape. If not, try applying some heat from a heat gun (not a torch) while you shape it. You'll get it done. Just relax.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:43am
I too am hoping that I can make it through all the details of putting it back together. You will get it done with a little help from the crew here. The positive of the adversity is that you will FULLY understand and have a mastery over all of these little details once you get them figured out.

A rebuild is an emotional roller coaster. So many hurdles to cross, and with each one passed comes gratification of a job well done and the one ahead is a new unknown stirring up doubt and uncertainty. You are on the home stretch. Take a day off from the boat, enjoy something else you have been neglecting and come back to it in a coupla days with a fresh mind.

You can do it!!!!

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:52am
Brian,
your words are encouraging and I will try and calm down. I just wish something on the boat would be as easy as changing a light bulb. I am real good at that and I feel confident of my ability to do it right every time.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:26pm
I am taking the day off from working on the boat and run some errands and pick up my workshop. I literally can't find anything I want to use because everything is so scattered. Now that I know I am not going to Callaway this weekend, my next target date is June 4th, the day we go on vacation at the lake. It better be done by then or I am building a 75 Skiier bondfire and cooking marshmellows
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 2:01pm

I am taking the day off from working on the boat and run some errands and pick up my workshop. I literally can't find anything I want to use because everything is so scattered. Now that I know I am not going to Callaway this weekend, my next target date is June 4th, the day we go on vacation at the lake. It better be done by then or I am building a 75 Skiier bondfire and cooking marshmellows

Can I plunder it first?    There are a few parts I could use! Just kidding. You will work it out. I found that a break and a good cleaning of the work area gave me a fresh mind to tackle the problems I was having. I could not find anything my place was such a mess. Not even a screw driver, and it did not help my attitude having to search for every tool I needed.

1973 Skier
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:57pm
Scott,

You're close. I would agree with the recent comments. Back off, drink a beer, relax and come back to it. I had several items that did that to me with the final details and sometimes walking away for a little bit does the trick.

Keep at it with perserverance, too. You'll be done before you know it. A few months ago I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever be done. About 6 weeks ago I was going through the same types of issues you are trying to get everything back together so I could take it out.

Now, I have two solid weekends with the family on the lake under my belt. Mind you, I do still have some things to do like final routing of the tower speaker wiring and a couple panels to install under the helm. I also want to do some clean up work of the caulking under the rub rail I did with the 4200 and I want to get a good hand polish and several coats of wax on.

I guess the work never ends, eh? LOL!
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2010 at 12:33am
Well boys, barring a catastrophe, I may have her in the water by memorial day which was my goal three months ago. I still have to carpet it, install the pylon, battery box, seats and engine cover and the back rest in front of the gas tank. I have only one stumbling block I might need help with: I neglected to take pictures or write down how the strottle and transmission cable went together. I am trying to find some pictures of my engine and could possibly see it but not luck so far. Here is the back of the boat. Will post the front tomorrow.

Fuel tank area. The blower hose is not connected yet:

Got the floor in: Those are burn marks on the right side of the floor.

Perfect alignment, I hope:

Back half of the engine:

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks for all the help.

scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2010 at 11:08am
......I have only one stumbling block I might need help with: I neglected to take pictures or write down how the strottle and transmission cable went together. I am trying to find some pictures of my engine and could possibly see it but not luck so far. Here is the back of the boat. Will post the front tomorrow.

Nevermind, I just figured it out. Thanks.

scott
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2010 at 2:31pm
These pics are pretty big so if you zoom in and look carefully you can see the transmission cable in the first picture and the throttle in the second. We have different engines, but hopefully the setup is similar. Great Job by the way! I am starting my floors today in cardboard.

Just above the breather cap on the valve cover there is a clip for the throttle cable.- Hope this helps.

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 891011>
  Share Topic