Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

230 OMC

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Scott Pryor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 230 OMC
    Posted: March-09-2010 at 12:59am
Greetings everyone.... been an avid follower of CCfan for some time, first time participant.

I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan and I have a 77/78 Mustang I bought about 5 years ago. My father and I re-did the hull and the interior over the past couple of years and have her looking really nice. But the engine hasn't been touched besides the carb. The engine is a 230 OMC with about 480 hours on it. It runs great once it's running, but it starts a bit hard when cold, and sometimes won't start at all once it's hot (which has stranded me a couple times with the kids... they hate that, obviously). We put a Holley carb on it about 2 years ago but haven't done anything else.

So, I'd really like some advice as to what improvements might be in order to 1) fix the starting problem and 2) perhaps invest in making the engine solid for the next 20 years. I'm not adverse to having it re-built, but I'd need to have someone do that... let me know if someone in the Michigan area might know of "a guy" that does that sorta thing for this vintage engine. And I'm also not adverse to simply addressing the starting issue and maybe finding out what other folks might recommend for other fixes (like an electronic ignition, etc.) that might keep everything running smoothly that I can figure out on my own.

Thanks in advance to whomever has the time to read this, digest and then respond... much appreciated.

Scott Pryor.

scott@prydesign.com
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 10:29am
points, points points, some love them, i dont know why, I burnt a set yesterday, had to sand them to get her running again...it was sputtering and hard start, once sanded it ran great....it wouldnt hurt to convert to electronic ignition. thats a good starting point
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 11:05am
The cold start issue could be the choke not being properly set.
The hot start could be a leaky carb, sticky points or too much advance.

were this issues present before the new carb? who installed it?

An electronic ignition is a good idea too.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 11:28am
I'm betting the carb came out of the box and got bolted up and nothing was adjusted other than idle air mixture screws and the idle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 11:48am
Wow... thanks so much for the speedy replies fellas.

Eric:
The points issue... I've heard countless times that converting to an electronic ignition will help the engine start and run better and I also won't have to adjust the "points" which I have absolutely no idea how to do. So, the EI is the first on my list. Would all of you agree that investing in a new EI distributor as opposed to simply buying a conversion kit is the right way to go?

Luchog:
First, what do you mean about too much advance: the timing? About the carb: we bought then put the new carb on before we ran it too much. It ran "okay" with the old one, but then SEEMED to run much better with the new one. And my dad and I installed it... he's pretty knowledgeable, but we're not mechanics by any stretch.

Grand Poo:
Related to the above, yes, we pretty much tossed the new carb on and adjusted the idle and such and that's about it. So... it's sounding as though I need to dig back into how best to truly "tune" the carb, yes?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 11:58am
if the mechanical advance is working fine and there isn't any play in the dist. shaft then a conversion is fine and no need for a new Dist but you have to time both regardless. I would say you need to adjust the choke to address the cold start issue plugs wires cap and rotor if it hasn't been tune-up in awhile. I would lower the float to correct the hard start issue after you verify that it is actaully leaking after it's turned off and not a tune-up related issue causing the problem.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 12:15pm
after engine shut down, take off the flame arrestor and check is fuel is dripping into the intake, that would tell you if the hot hard start is because of the float level set to high.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 12:19pm
Scott,
I happen to be one against the drop in EI conversions and feel there's nothing wrong with points. They do work! My 312 hadn't had a point set in 28 years and ran fine. Yes it may help starting but not performance. If you what to go electronic, then go all the way with a complete distributor. Countless times? Maybe from people who have gotten the sales pitch thrown at them but haven't had a problem - yet!! Problems with the conversions are common as well!!

Eric,
I'd like you to try and clean up a conversion module with the sandpaper or file and try to get back!!

The comment on the advance is checking that the mechanical under the point set mounting plate in the distributor is free to turn and none of the springs are broken.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 12:19pm
Again, thanks. Most of what you're suggesting makes lots of sense, I'm just hopeful I can figure out how to do everything without professional, "mechanic grade" help. I can probably dig into and tune the carb. But, again, I'm not an engine guy. But I can figure stuff out with a little thought and research. You think I can tackle these, or would you suggest I seek some help? New plugs and wires were on my list of improvements too. See, now that I can handle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 12:29pm
Yeah, okay... maybe not countless times, but it seems like most are in favor of EI. Maybe it's simply the "newness" of doing such a thing... it feels like a "new and improved" system. Plus, you set it and forget it, right? Again, I'm no expert. I'm certainly leaning towards it and I'd do the whole new distributor like you're suggesting.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 12:42pm
I am not an expert like the others that have offered advice and I have no expertise to recommend points vs drop in EI vs electronic distributor. If budget is a factor (doesn't really sound like it is) here is what I did for the same motor (I assume you have the mallory flat cap also) if you do decide to go the drop in route...

mallory espark

When I got my boat it had another brand-x drop in EI. I think it was fine, I just toasted it in trouble shooting another problem. Boat Dr on this site recommended this unit. I put it in a couple years ago and have been trouble free since and have always had fast easy starting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 1:06pm
Lookie there... Seems (at first look) that we've got the same engine. Thanks for the input about the EI, etc. Again, I'm more in favor of trying to do as much as I can (to some degree) without having to do so again later. Which is the ONLY reason why I'd rather simply replace the Distributor all together. But, I'll have a look and maybe I'd be better off not changing too much and just converting... it sounds like this did the trick for you.

Also, where did you get your chrome header covers? And the body of your engine looks pretty nice for a '75, did you re-paint it? If so, how did that go?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Scott Pryor Scott Pryor wrote:

Also, where did you get your chrome header covers? And the body of your engine looks pretty nice for a '75, did you re-paint it? If so, how did that go?

As alluded to in my first response, I pretty much do every thing on a pretty tight budget. The valve covers are easy to find on ebay obviously nothing fancy, but they do dress it up a bit. I was lucky in that my motor was pretty clean when I got it (2004), but I wanted to clean it up. Rather than go original (sorry Pete) I decided to go the 70s muscle car look, hnece the chevy orange. The painting went fine, I didn't pull the motor out to do it, just took off components that were easy to take off or taped them up. Not a professional job like many have done here, but it did clean it up.

(original)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Pryor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 1:49pm
Nice... thanks for the pic. Now THAT looks like my engine. And what you've done is what I'd really like to do: not yank and re-build it, but just do "component" upgrades, clean it up and get it running and looking better. Again, my engine runs great and doesn't seem to have a crazy number of hours on it (480ish). And, yep, the painting process you went through (removing 'parts' and taping and such, in the boat) is what I'd like to do too.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 10:18am
Pete, with E its set and forget, you dont have to sand anything.
i was f-ing with points the other day thinking...man do i hate points, the screws are always f-in stripped, contacts burnt, such a PITA
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 10:38am
I here ya Eric, put new ones in johns and had to spark them 4-5 times before the POS's would fire the coil, old tech vs new tech new tech usually wins out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

But if that module fails, you'll be looking for a tow! Been there, done that. I love the DUI in my '90 and the BFN... the performance difference they made was really noticeable. However, my Skier with a newer Prestolite points dizzy starts better than anything I own and is my most reliable runner. If everything is dialed in, I see no reason to swap out the points for an EI conversion... unless youre going for all out performance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:43pm
and like the module is any harder to replace than filing points.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

But if that module fails, you'll be looking for a tow! Been there, done that. I love the DUI in my '90 and the BFN... the performance difference they made was really noticeable. However, my Skier with a newer Prestolite points dizzy starts better than anything I own and is my most reliable runner. If everything is dialed in, I see no reason to swap out the points for an EI conversion... unless youre going for all out performance.

Tim,
The point I was trying to make went right over their heads!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tim,
The point I was trying to make went right over their heads!!

so if the points fail you work on them while your floating, if the module fails then you replace it as you should have an extra in the boat just as you have your file and sand paper to work on the points.

so the point would be what? that old scout saying? be prepared? so with points you need a new set, file sandpaper and tools, with a E-conversion or E-dist, tools and a module are what's needed to be prepared so in either case if your not prepared for the unexpected you'll be looking for a tow back to shore right? what am I missing here?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 2:07pm
Chris, are you suggesting that in addition to the $100-150 cost to upgrade to EI, everyone should also be carrying a spare? $200-300 sure isnt cheap for the benefits gained.

Points are $10-15!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 2:13pm
Don't believe modules cost that much and if it is new you don't have anything to worry about until several years down the road.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 3:12pm
And I went 28 years on a point set. Never touched them, never had a starting problem, never had a performance problem so I never was stuck out on the lake!

The point being is a point set is reliable and has been for years. A point set can be cleaned up out on the lake - You can't do that with a burnt out module so you need to carry a spare. Electronics can and are problematic. The Protech is a good example.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 3:59pm
only time an electroinc ignition has ever left anyone I know out on the lake was mine and it was a coil that I knew wasn't going to hold up but what some DA tech recommended to me, new coil no problem and then Tim's Special DUI module that lasted all of a month or two.

A point style ignition system does not compare to an electroinc unit, if your tooling around in a four banger your not going to notice a perfomance change or an improvement in fuel consumption if you switched, but with an electroinc ignition and a properly tuned engine you will see better quicker starting, be able to run a large plug gap which will improve fuel ecconomy. And if you've got a hot rod motor then you'll see better holeshot and overall performance as well.

But if your just floating around enjoying your classic woodie on a sunnny day then you won't tell a bit of difference, but on a 300hp engine you will.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

then Tim's Special DUI module that lasted all of a month or two.

Geez Chris, your memory sucks!

Never had a problem with my DUI module. The reason for the spare that went in Mojo's boat was for troubleshooting a no-spark condition (which ended up being a loose wire on the ignition switch). Still running the original modules in all of my DUI's... never had a problem.

The Prestolite EI conversion kit that came with my '90, however, did leave me stranded. First time out in the boat, it died- had to get towed in, and left me boatless for 2 weeks. (I upgraded to the DUI instead of replacing the module.) Points would have kept me boating!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:18pm
Sounds like those electoinc ignitions are pretty unreliable then Tim? It's been a long time since GLII only time I recall anyone having to deal with a module issue, should have know it was Mojo's basket case.

pertronix, prestolite conversions junk nothing but issues, E-spark from mallory not an issue full blown electroinc dist not an issue. If i've been running on the same module for 5-6 years then yes I would carry a 40 dollar spare, FYI you don't have to get the marine grade it's the same as the automotive, just priced differently, Marine spark suppression is built into the dist base not the module or cap.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:25pm
Im not saying theyre unreliable, per se... just that Ive seen one fail on the water, and it cost me valuable skiing time. I also have a boat that came with a dead Mallory e-spark... although there was nothing right with that boat or engine when I got it. Both Brad and Ken have had issues with Pertronix, and both junked them. Ive had a set of points go, but they were very old- and they were cheap to replace! For something thats not an all-out performance application, I just dont see the problem with points. They can be made to run very reliably, start great, and theyre dirt cheap. Just my 2 cents!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:52pm

A point style ignition system does not compare to an electroinc unit, if your tooling around in a four banger

But if your just floating around enjoying your classic woodie on a sunnny day then you won't tell a bit of difference, but on a 300hp engine you will.

Chris, You seem to forget that I do have other boats. The 28 years of point life was on my 312. Sorry it's not 300HP and only 215.

BTW, it was running and starting great!! One day I was just thinking about when I did a tune up on it, went back to the year I bought it and calculated the years. Then said to myself maybe after 28 I should do a tune up on it!! The hardest part was getting the plugs out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:55pm
agreed but if your not used to wrenching on points all the time because you should adjust them yearly if not more depending on the usage, then, E-distributor is a better choice and requires less work just basicly checking timingeach season, points you constantly have to change as they ware so dwell as to be adjusted and in turn the timing hass to be adjusted then you have to tweek the carb a little, electroinc you verify the timing hasn't changed then a quick idle air adjustment to make sure it's prefect and your done, lot of back and forth using the points.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2010 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A point style ignition system does not compare to an electroinc unit, if your tooling around in a four banger

Chris, You seem to forget that I do have other boats. The 28 years of point life was on my 312. Sorry it's not 300HP and only 215.

BTW, it was running and starting great!! One day I was just thinking about when I did a tune up on it, went back to the year I bought it and calculated the years. Then said to myself maybe after 28 I should do a tune up on it!! The hardest part was getting the plugs out!

well aware of that fact Pete but the big question is actual hours on the boat for that 28 years that is what makes a difference and tells you how much ware they have seen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic