Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing Capacity/Vehicle Help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Capacity/Vehicle Help?
    Posted: March-24-2010 at 2:47pm
Hey Everyone,

As I consider purchasing a ski nautique (1999), what kind of vehicle should I consider towing it? I have a 2002 Kia Sedona Minivan with towing capacity of 3500 lbs. with a class III hitch rated for 5500 pounds. Will the 195HP 3.6 ltr. V6 on this van be able to handle the tow? or should I consider a larger engine? Thanks for suggestions.

Bob
Bob B.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:40pm
Hey Bob,
I use for my 1985 Ski Nautique 2001, I have 2007 Chevy Silverdo with a 4.8 with the 390 rear end. I have no trouble towing my boat up most ramps steep or shallow ramps. My boat I think weights in the neighbor hood of 2,800-3,000 pds.
A 99 Nautique is heavier and the Kia probally will not be enough, escpically if the lake you go to has shallow or steep ramps. I would be looking at any extended cab truck or crew cab with a V8 will work.

My opionion, but I like to make sure I can get up any ramp. I put mine in 1st or 2nd gear and she just crawls up the ramp no probs or spin outs or anything. Get ya a truck tho..

Lee
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:58pm
I would be hesitant to tow with a minivan or anything else with a car based frame and FWD... but the towing capacity on the Sedona looks pretty good. The Cleveland area is pretty flat, so you may be ok. Im one who strongly prefers 4WD on the ramp, but I know many do without it. If you decide to go for it, do get the Class III hitch.

That being said, if youre shopping for a new vehicle, Id look for something built to tow- especially if youre going to go far distances or are planning to tow more than a few times a year. A small or midsize SUV would be plenty for that '99, which should weigh in the neighborhood of 3500lbs with the trailer. Something along the lines of a Pathfinder/Grand Cherokee/etc would be fine (I have a V8 4Runner). No need to go full size truck or SUV unless you need the room for the family.
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 4:23pm
BN you are in the Cleveland area...we boat Portage LAkes/berlin/Milton in the summer...Where about are you?
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 4:50pm
Joe - I'm in the Eastern Subs...I would go to West Branch - most likely, but we annually go to the Adirondacks to Lake Pleasant north of Utica.
Bob B.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would be hesitant to tow with a minivan or anything else with a car based frame and FWD... but the towing capacity on the Sedona looks pretty good. The Cleveland area is pretty flat, so you may be ok. Im one who strongly prefers 4WD on the ramp, but I know many do without it. If you decide to go for it, do get the Class III hitch.

That being said, if youre shopping for a new vehicle, Id look for something built to tow- especially if youre going to go far distances or are planning to tow more than a few times a year. A small or midsize SUV would be plenty for that '99, which should weigh in the neighborhood of 3500lbs with the trailer. Something along the lines of a Pathfinder/Grand Cherokee/etc would be fine (I have a V8 4Runner). No need to go full size truck or SUV unless you need the room for the family.

I totaly agree with Tim on this. There is no need to go full size as long as the tow vehicle is rated and equiped for the trailer weigh. I put on many a mile pulling trailers that weighed more than my 4 cyl. Land Rover series III 88 and never had a problem but certaily can appreciate a vehicle a little larger! Some of those passes I went over in Montana pulling a trailer needed 1st gear or if lucky maybe 2nd

At the ramp? 4wd is nice but depends on how nice the ramp is too plus the angle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 6:29pm
Pete - I found a Land Rover Discovery - 2003 for sale, but I've heard so many negative things about repairs and the costs of those repairs that it makes me shy away.

Tim: I suppose an 2005 Acura MDX 4x4 would foot the bill too. Thoughts?
Bob B.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 6:37pm
The MDX is a car based SUV, so I wouldnt say its built to tow either. It would be better than a Sedona, but not much.

I love the look of the Discos, but I too have heard they were reliability nightmares. If a midsize SUV fits your family, then Id be looking at a 2003+ 4Runner, 2005+ Pathfinder, or jump up to a few year old full size (Expedition, Tahoe, Sequoia, Armada). FWIW, I love my V8 4Runner ('07).
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by bnhbutts bnhbutts wrote:

Pete - I found a Land Rover Discovery - 2003 for sale, but I've heard so many negative things about repairs and the costs of those repairs that it makes me shy away.

Tim: I suppose an 2005 Acura MDX 4x4 would foot the bill too. Thoughts?

Don't buy a Disco. I love them and hate them at the same time. 2003 was the best year for them because they inherited the Range Rover powerplant as well as many other good updates for that year but the car is still an absolute joke reliability and maintenance-wise, not to mention absolutely abysmal with gas mileage.

MDX is a unibody vehicle rather than body-on-frame. Plus, it's my personal opinion based on field research that most Acura drivers are total a-holes . I'd pass on that vehicle for sure.

I wouldn't discount the 3rd-gen 4Runners although they are starting to get old. The newest one of those is a 2002 MY, which is already 8 years ago.

Whatever car you end up with, even towing with the minivan, add a trans cooler. Slushbox trans temps go through the roof while towing loads and heat kills them.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:29pm
GMC Envoy? or Ford Explorer? Would either of these types work well?
Bob B.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:39pm
^^ Probably. Can't stand looking at the Envoy GMT360 platform in any of its 500 million variants but it'll probably do the job just fine. The Explorer seems like it's come a long way in the later models, but I don't know much about it. Not a bad looking car.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:52pm
Thanks for all of the input people. It is helpful.
Bob B.
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 8:21pm
People any thoughts on the Honda Ridgeline? I am guessing that any pickup type vehicle with a V6 or larger is gonna be good for towing. But I could be wrong.
Bob B.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 8:25pm
Youre correct... sort of. I would say any truck or pickup with a V6 or larger would be fine. The Ridgeline is certainly toeing the line of "pickup type vehicle" though. Like the MDX and Pilot, its based off a FWD car (Accord) platform. It might do the job, but not as well as a true truck or truck based SUV.

I stand by my recommendations above.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 8:30pm

Bob,
The Land Rover series III was a 1970. That was way before Ford took over the company!!! Go at it Ford lovers!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 11:07pm
What about a Dodge Durango - 2004?
Bob B.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:05am
Durango will do the job. I'd think carefully first. My brothers 2 wheel drive Durango got poorer mileage than my 4WD Suburban. The Suburban is a far better tow vehicle, and obviously has a lot more room. BKH
Livin' the Dream

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:09am
Suburbans and Tahoes are plentyfull are more reasonably priced IMO.
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:21am
I've seen many a boat towed with a Durango. You should be fine with that, especially with the V8 model. I believe it's basically a Dakota chassis. Personally I have a Suburban. I waited a long time to get it but I couldn't ask for a better tow vehicle.

David
86 Martinique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:26am
Has anyone asked if the trailer has brakes? Pulling the boat is one thing. I've actually seen a Harley pull a Malibu a mile or so, but stopping the boat is a whole nother ( and I think more important) thing. In college we pulled the team boat with an S-10 from time to time, but we got pushed through an intersection more than once.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:49am
Def look into Tim's 4 runner, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado.

Trucks I have had S10 v6 sucked gas like no tomorrow towing my snowmobile trailer, then I upgraded to a Silverado 5.3 liter same thing on the snowmobile trailer plus the transmission was shifting all over the place even in tow mode, I upgraded to my newest truck a year and half ago a 2500HD Duramax, 6th gear all the way back and forth from CT to Lake George and 17MPG doing 65MPH towing my 206. I wish I could hitch up both boats at the same time lol when I go up for July vacation to LG and the Reunion TBD(sept I am assuming)
jwchapman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwchapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 1:32pm
I have a 2000 Durango (V8-4WD) and it tows my 91 Sport with no problems at all. It does get terrible mileage but on the plus side, the mileage is pretty much the same when towing the boat as when driving around without it. The Durango is built on the Dakota chasis and while great for towing and hauling stuff, it rides a lot rougher than some of the newer trucks and cross-overs.
1991 Sport Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by jwchapman jwchapman wrote:

The Durango is built on the Dakota chasis and while great for towing and hauling stuff, it rides a lot rougher than some of the newer trucks and cross-overs.

Leaf springs in back probably don't help in this regard.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 7:10pm

Joe - I'm in the Eastern Subs...I would go to West Branch - most likely, but we annually go to the Adirondacks to Lake Pleasant north of Utica.

NE Ohio checking in....

I still have never been to West Branch with my boat I need to get up there this year.... We go go to Berlin, Salt Fork, and occasionally Portage Lakes (only because it is right up the road).

I tow with an '07 Tundra 5.7L Double Cab, and love it.
newoldboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 12:47am
Only one way to find out! I don't know about up north but here in florida no matter what happens there is always someone else at the boat ramp that will make you look good by making a total ass of themselves. It takes me about four minutes to load my boat and get out of the way but I always have to wait 20 minutes for some dumbass to load thier jet ski. I guess thats the price we pay to live here. I guess if the fwd won't pull it up the ramp you can get someone to pull you out and then you'll know.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:08am
I tow my skinautique with a dodge dakota v6 175 horspower. The truck has 165000 miles on it with the original fuel injectors. This little truck would pull a house up the ramp in four low but is getting very weak when towing at highway speeds. Brakes are another issue. I am looking to add trailer brakes to add confidence. The ridglines 250 hp v6 would probaly perform better.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:16am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Durango will do the job. I'd think carefully first. My brothers 2 wheel drive Durango got poorer mileage than my 4WD Suburban. The Suburban is a far better tow vehicle, and obviously has a lot more room. BKH

Suburban, now thats a "Beast".. Good choice, I wish I could find one in the mid 80's or later.. Big 350 motor, animals..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:20am
Dave,
Nice Nautique! Very nice..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 4:07am
Thanks but my Signature line says it all, Photos well but not close up. It sure is fun though.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 9:46am

Visit:    trailerboats.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic