Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing Capacity/Vehicle Help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:31am
Talk about sucking gas, my land rover gets 10 to 12 mpg.But will go up over and through anything in it's way and tow pretty good to.
NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR SELF YOUR FAMILY YOUR FRIENDS AND GOD THERE ALWAYS A NEW DAY
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:49am
Originally posted by bnhbutts bnhbutts wrote:

with a class III hitch rated for 5500 pounds.

Bob - Are you sure about the 5500#? I don't have time to look it up right now, bit I am pretty sure a class 3 hitch is rated for 3500#. Your boat may even exceed that depending on what you throw in it during towing.

I towed our 89SN (2001 Model) with a minivan & class 3 hitch - the hitch would flex excessively & cause a 'chucking action' with the trailer brakes whenever I hit a bump - not tolerable - bought a truck as the solution to this problem. Tows great now.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:53am
Chris,
The class III hitch is nominally rated at 5000lbs with a tongue weight max of 500. I don't know where the extra 500 comes from??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:37pm
I pull with a 2004 Pacifica..keep in mind North East Ohio is flat for the most part......all I have to say is bravo for the odnr for putting angles slits in all of the new ramps....
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 8:08pm
Thanks Pete for the correction- I was thinking of class II. I am suprised you can even get a class 3 hitch for a minivan.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:27pm
Our lead boat driver for our show ski team here in iowa pulls his triple rig with his toyota sienna. His previous tow vehicle was the chevy lumina mini van...interesting choices. He claims he can get 26 mpg with the mini vans? ya...

Triple rig:
3 150HP evinrude etecs = 1,200lbs +/-
3 batteries = 180lbs +/-
40 gallon fuel tank = 300 lbs +/-
Duel axle trailer = 1,500lbs?
Added weight in front under bow to keep it down on the water = 900 lbs
20 ft hyrdodyne = 1,500 lbs?

Total = Heavy ass boat!
Toigs325 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toigs325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 4:23pm
How about a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Chevy Colorado Crew Cab. Both of those would work. I have a regular cab, 4x4 colorado with the 3.5L I5 and it pulls my 196 and Mustang no problem. If you are worried about the Sedona then slap some air bags in the back or heavier leaf springs, that would help...and make sure the breaks are in good shape.
2003 Ski Nautique 196 SE
1966 Correct Craft Mustang
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 2:32am
Is this a matter of V8 vs. V6? or will a Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6 work?
Bob B.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 4:34am
In my opinion Horse Power is a better measure than the number of cylinders. The Honda 250 HP v6 is awesome. My Dakotas 175 HP v6 is a little weak. I am not sure what is in the ford but it should have the chassis and brakes and possibly all wheel drive to keep you out of trouble. I quess if the vehicles horse power matches that of the boat in tow you should be fine.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 2:34pm
Unfortunately, you are asking a simple question, which I am afraid does not have a simple answer. There are numerous questions which go into whether a vehicle will be "good" or "adequate" as a tow vehicle.

Horsepower is only one factor. A lot of small 4 and 6 cylinder motors have lots of horse power, but they aren't designed to pull big loads. The engines and transmissions have to work hard to pull the loads. Can they do it, probably. Will you put more wear and tear on the vehicle, probably.

I don't think anyone would dispute that in general, higher vehicle weight, more cylinders, more horsepower, beefier transmissions, lower gearing, longer wheelbase, beefier suspensions, and beefier brakes make for "better" tow vehicles.

The question really becomes, how much is enough. There are guys in Europe pulling boats with 4 and six cylinder station wagons. Necessity is the mother of invention. There are guys in the U.S. pulling 12 foot aluminum fishing boats with F350 diesels - overkill.

Based on your questions you seem to want to steer away from a full sized V-8, and instead are looking at mid sized 6 cyclinder vehicles.
In my opinion, the best thing to do in that case, is to ask around and see what kind of success folks have had with the vehicle as a tow vehicle, and go from there. Find out if and how they have augmented the transmission cooling, suspensions, etc. Find out what kind of terrain they were pulling on when they deemed the vehicle adequate as a tow vehicle. I wouldn't trust the auto salesman.

Personally, I don't have any experience with the explorer pickup. I've seen boats successfully towed with Chevy and Chrysler minivans, 6 cylinder Toyotas, 6 cylinder explorers, 6 cylinder Dakotas.

As I said in an early post, I have a 2000 Yukon XL (suburban). It has only the 5.3L (327 cu. inch engine). It has lots of room for passengers and gear. It gets 15 mpg around town, 18 mpg on the highway with no trailer. When I tow the boat, I get about 13 mpg when I drive a reasonable speed. I towed the boat from California to Wisconsin, across the Sierra Nevadas and Rocky Mountains and across the desert. I averaged in excess of 70 mph and got about 11 mpg under these tough conditions. The Burb now has 165K miles on it and is still going strong. I have found it to be a more than adequate tow vehicle.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

In my opinion Horse Power is a better measure than the number of cylinders.

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Horsepower is only one factor. A lot of small 4 and 6 cylinder motors have lots of horse power, but they aren't designed to pull big loads. The engines and transmissions have to work hard to pull the loads. Can they do it, probably. Will you put more wear and tear on the vehicle, probably. BKH

Torque would be a better measure of determining the needs of a tow vehicle. You can have a realatively small displacement engine that has plenty of HP but at what RPM. You don't what to have to drive down the highway in a lower gear just because to don't have the torque!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bnhbutts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnhbutts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 6:49pm
So how much torque is enough to pull a nautique/or super sport nautique?
Bob B.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 7:16pm
The most simple way I heard it put was;

To safely launch,pull, and stop I need as much in the front as I have behind. There is more to the package than just motor size.Braking and suspension play equal parts.
If you stray from these guide lines you will give up one or more of the three.
Stopping being the most important...........SN are not light boats

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 7:21pm
I pull the '90 SN with my '97 Ford Explorer with the 5.0 in it. Get's a little sketchy if you need to stop really really fast since it does have little breaks, but it does a pretty good job. Has the towing package so that helps...

You can pick one of those up for pretty cheap...
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:58pm
mdvalent: I sent you a PM
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Our lead boat driver for our show ski team here in iowa pulls his triple rig with his toyota sienna. His previous tow vehicle was the chevy lumina mini van...interesting choices. He claims he can get 26 mpg with the mini vans? ya...

Triple rig:

3 150HP evinrude etecs = 1,200lbs +/-

3 batteries = 180lbs +/-

40 gallon fuel tank = 300 lbs +/-

Duel axle trailer = 1,500lbs?

Added weight in front under bow to keep it down on the water = 900 lbs

20 ft hyrdodyne = 1,500 lbs?

Total = Heavy ass boat!

Do you have his #?
Did he use HDW or Air bags?
What type hitch?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:56pm
bahaha sorry holy cow this is old. Ok It's coming back to me now...let me get back to you in a jiffy.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 12:53am
Not sure what a SN weighs but hauling a 74 Southwind with a 2007 Honda AWD Pilot is just fine; fairly effortless on the ramp, and on the road you can almost forget it's back there.   
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:48pm
Best Value Tow Vehicle: Jeep Liberty:

I long ago stumbled across the Jeep Liberty, it is a great value; price verses mission. Typically entry level 4WD is right around $22k NEW. They weigh in at about 4000 lbs, heavier then they look, so as BoatDr indicates you have a substantial amount up front. It's rated for towing at 5000lbs, and 500 lbs at the tongue. Its 3.7l V6 puts out 235 ft-lbs of torque and 210 HP. I see about 20 mpg (hiway) about 10 mpg with the trailer. I know Alan (81Nautique) has pulled his 81 with the Liberty as well. I have had two of these, drove the first one almost 200k miles and the air conditioner went bad, the fix was more then the car was worth.

Now having said all that it does look a little funny pulling the Sport Nautique:
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 7:39pm
I was towing the cuda with a Lincoln and it did a decent job but when I bought the Resorter I was not too comfy on the highway so I started looking for pickup or SUV.I was never happy with power with the 01 gmc p/u I had before that. Sollution 94-96 Buick Roadmaster with factory tow package.The last three years of production they were equipped with 260hp-335lb ft of torque LT1 corvette inspired V8.They have huge swawbars H/D cooling,posi and get unbelievable fuel milage.6000 lb towing cap and if you can find a nice wagon you will never want for comfort or storage.My last trip to New Hampshire last fall I got 19-20 mpg towing 3000 lbs and barely knew it was there.The LT1 roadmasters kind of have a cult following the power and reliability are top notch.When you are done laughing go on line and check them out maybe find one in classified section and test drive one you won't believe the power.Just make sure it is 94-96 towpac model with the mechanical fan and H/D susp.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Steve I forgot that you towed with a Liberty. Mine has always pulled the 81 with ease but the new 200v is heavy. Around town no problem but trying to hold speed on long highway inclines is a bit of work for it.

Stopping the rig with 8 wheels of disk brakes is a dream though. I also thought I was going to have to put in some air bag helpers in the rear but we dropped the trailer on and the truck barely moved and still rides nice and level.

So it's a pretty good tow vehicle for the flats out here but I just don't know yet how it would do if we get to travel down to Nashville this spring, I'm afraid those hills would burn it out.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:11pm
The suspension modification are available, easy, and affordable for the B/D bodies. If you want to get serious and tow your G23 there are off the shelf limo/hearse parts to bump that number up to 10k+. My Fleetwood Brougham has all the basic tow-package stuff except the mechanical fan, but it has 2 electrics. Unfortunately posi wasn't an option on the Cadillacs.

Took the air shocks and silly little springs out for the HD wagon variable rate springs and yellow Monroes. She still has her 500# of winter ballast onboard here.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Steve I forgot that you towed with a Liberty.

Stopping the rig with 8 wheels of disk brakes is a dream though. I also thought I was going to have to put in some air bag helpers in the rear

I'm afraid those hills would burn it out.

Ok, so I have to come clean, I also own a Suburban, for the long trips, that is the vehicle of choice. The liberty gets used for short hauls around town and occasionally I will use it for a guys ski trip up to Green Lake area.

Definitely appreciate the disc brakes on the trailer, that is a treat. The suburban has the air bags too, it is really nice to watch that thing self level, when we load it up with all the girls clothes and the dog and the trailer.

I concur on long hills (there are a few on the trip to GL and some pretty big ones down near Dubuque) it does slow the Liberty down considerably. Regular trips up and down Mountains could be troublesome...

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:21pm
Not the best from a seating capacity standpoint, but it'll get to the lake in a hurry!

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:44pm
I am having trouble with that hitch. Was that factory installed? A 5500lbs hitch on a vehicle rated for 3500lbs is kinda overkill.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:21pm
Forget the roadmaster, lets see some photos of the Resorter!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:52pm
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 12:13am
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 12:35am
Nice boat! what year? I've also got a 75 Mark II. Too bad there's no CenturyFan site like the great CCFan, eh?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

I've seen many a boat towed with a Durango. You should be fine with that, especially with the V8 model. I believe it's basically a Dakota chassis. Personally I have a Suburban. I waited a long time to get it but I couldn't ask for a better tow vehicle.

David

Hey Keuka! Small world! My family's been on west bluff for 8 generations, my brother (72 Southwind) lives up near the park, and my mother lives by the college. How long you been around Keuka?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic