NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New ski team twin-rig!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ski team twin-rig!!!
    Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:41pm
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share the progress our little show ski team is making on our new (to us) twin rig we are currently putting together. I ski on a Division 1 show ski team and also ski on my little home town team yet. We are working our way up and ladder and purchase our very first TWIN-RIG hydrodyne hull that will have twin 150 HP Evinrudes!

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:49pm
Looking good mike!!!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:50pm
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:52pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:52pm
Looks like fun!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:58pm
How about this Iowa weather today?! Gonna get your old mans 90 out and head to the river this afternoon?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 6:01pm
Beautiful bro!!! Unfortunately, the Mississippi is rather high, and it's cleaning out every river bank from here to MN so we got a ton of trees in our show course lol. I would not recommend river travel with anything but our 16ft flatty...although, that is the boat I learned how to barefoot behind. I was 9 and weighed roughly what, 80lbs? haha :)
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 6:08pm
Bring it over to Dexter! Lake is glass today! Sounds like same thing tomorrow afternoon!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 6:21pm
Yea pfft, it's only 4 hours and 20 minutes away ;) I still have some work to do to the '90! My buddy at the marina I worked at last summer ordered me a carb rebuild kit, impeller, annnd a new throttle pin job. Last season we broke this little copper piece off under the control that connects it to the throttle cable. Apparently it's not a normal occurrence. Must have put a few more hours on it in High School than I thought........hahaha
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 6:28pm
Hey Their,
Thanks for posting the pictures of your Dyne.
I am currently restoring a 69 "Dinky" Hydrodyne For the Lakeland water ski Show team. I was very intersted in the work that was done on the transom to provide support for the big "RUDE'S being hung off the back.
I am putting a short shaft 200hp Merc and full jack plate on the back of this Dyne.
Thanks again for the pictures.
Jody
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 6:32pm
Hey Jody!

Normally on the dynes they have 2 stainless plates that go on the back and front of the transom to give it some support. We had those plates, but wanted to be sure we weren't going to flex it too much so we had our local welder fab us up a plate that covers the entire transom to add some rigity. It would have been expensive work but he donated everything. He's awesome. I can get you some closer pics if you'd like. This hull was in pretty good shape, it's an '85. During my first season on that D1 team I was talking about we used that hull with twin 225 etecs, then it got replaced with our new triple rig. :) So, my little hometown team picked it up for a very good price. It needed a lot of work, but they are fun to play with!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 6:41pm
Hi Mike
What D-1 and D-2 teams are you part of? My family and I are members of Spray Masters (D-2) here in Michigan.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 6:44pm
Hey Steve,

I ski for the Five Seasons Ski Team in Cedar Rapids, IA (www.5SST.com). I also know a ton of people that ski with Waterloo and the Backwater Gamblers. I know of the Spray Masters! Our Evinrudes came from The Sinnissippi Ski Team which is kind of merging with the Beaverland Must-skis...they gave us a great deal!

-Mike
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:19am
I'm looking wrong or those engines have different rotation props?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:24am
You are correct sir! They are counter rotation motors. The one on the left (passenger side of boat) will spin LH. This will keep the boat level while pulling acts off the dock and at higher speeds. It is not necessary but if you can do it , it's well worth it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:30am
didn't know ob could be ordered in different rotation setups...is the whole engine rr or just a reduction in the drive?
cool boat..what its top speed?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:37am
The only different thing is the lower unit. If you want it counter you have to order a counter rotation lower unit. Simple bolt up just like the normal ones...the hydrodyne hull is not designed to go fast, but if you propped this thing right it'd go well over 60 or 70...you might die though haha. For pulling skiers we prop it with 15 pitches. Top speed would be around 48 with them, but they will be able to pull a 24 person pyramid, so that's always nice :) The D1 ski team I ski on has a boat with twin 225's and a boat with 3 150's. Both will pull 30+ people. You can also do a pretty gnarly trick with these setups:

-courtesy of the chainskimmers
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:52am
I forgot to mention, you can see it in this pic though...Hydrodynes have a tracking fin to help them navigate the show course. Lost one one time, makes for a pretty squirrely ride!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:57am
nice puting into reverse when doing that..lol you go directly to the bottom of the lake..haha
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 12:59am
That'd be an expensive feat. lol
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 2:29am
Nice shop. Who's dragster in the background?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 2:39am
That would be the owner of Bellevue's newest Marina. Xtreme Marine! Apparently it goes faaast. :)
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 11:03pm
I had a twin rig gofast boat with mercs and the counter roatating motor (back then) was foward only. Always loved the Dynes going back to the days of the tall inline 6 cyl mercs.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 9:28am
I happen'd to be at Watercraft's rig shop one day when the Chain Skimmers Dyne was having some work done. They couldn't get it far enough forward on the trailer it get any tongue weigth so they had the tongue sand bagged!! I got a kick out of the responce I got when I asked why the Skimmers didn't have the axle moved back on the trailer. It went something like: "they've been pulling that thing around like that for several years. Nothing but a bunch of kids that don't know any better. The older members in the team are kids too"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 3:36pm
We had that same problem after we threw these 150's on the boat...if you have a small light truck these things will steer it down the highway for you, whether or not that's the direction you want to go is a different story haha

Normally the dynes get some weight in the bow for on the water and usually that will cover the weight on the trailer too...
HoopsRXT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoopsRXT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2010 at 4:18am
Nice boat, I have skied behind the dynes for years. Have to counterweight the boat with ballast in the nose. Help keeps the nose down during heavy pulls. Ours used to pull and average 10 man barefoot line.

If you or know anyone looking to buy one, there is one for sale. Here is a link to it

http://wausau.craigslist.org/boa/1679551785.html

The current owner was a driver for a waterski team. He liked the club boat so much he bought his own. This is a private party boat. Been treated very well. I am not the owner of this boat, nor do I have any part of the sale. I just know the guy and trying to help spread the word.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2010 at 1:58pm
26,000?! I had no clue those things would fetch that much!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2010 at 2:01pm
Bro, the CR team has nearly 40k invested....lol it's a project lemme tell ya.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2010 at 2:06pm
Are they gold plated props?!?! I guess with the twins it could get pretty pricy!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2010 at 2:07pm
Oh...sorry I was referring to the triple rig in CR lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic