Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1984 CC Exhaust hose failure and other maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 CC Exhaust hose failure and other maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
579021 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 579021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 CC Exhaust hose failure and other maintenance
    Posted: April-03-2010 at 6:02pm
I just picked up an 1884 Ski Nautique Correct Craft with 600 hours and a 351 ford and now the problems are starting.
      I was told that it needed a cutlass bearing so I did that and it went well the old one was worn out and giving some vibrations. First time out after that all seemed well no vibrations until some lack of power and then bang the left exhaust hose blew apart right behind the manifold. The engine quit. Thought I could run it back to the dock I was planning on leaving the engine cowl open and I figured the pump could keep up with the water from the now leaking exhaust but it would not start. Imagine how I felt being towed back by a Bayliner.
     Back on the trailer with water hooked up the engine starts and runs fine. Looking at the exhaust hose it looks as if it was coming apart almost swelling up from Heat or chemicals. This swelling damage was down the entire length of the hose restricting flow. I pulled the other side and the same thing but much smaller only the first 6 inches. Has any one seen this? Is there something else that could be wrong causing this? Lack of water flow or over heated in the past the temp now is always right around 160. The hoses are dated 2001 is this the life expectancy? I am thinking on ordering all new hoses bow to stern to eliminate all possible future failures.
     When I bought the boat I was told the oil was just changed the points and belts were a year old and the plugs were two years old. Beyond that I have no other maintenance history. Any other ideas on preventive maintenance or time change components that should be addressed now?
MK
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2010 at 7:33pm
Mike,
I haven't seen it but I've heard about the problem with the exhaust hose. One of our other members may have even had the problem with the delamination. It's almost like there's a bad batch of cheap hose out there! Your best fix is to replace it with some name brand hose.

As long as you're holding temp, sounds like you have water but keep a eye on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2010 at 12:41am
MK, welcome to the site and a new way to spend money.The hose issue sounds like a overheat problem before your ownership.
Now is the time to replace all the hoses and belts, they have lasted beyond their service life. Spend a little time under the cover to assure the tow will be repaid,CC's are good tow boats.
A good test of an overheat is to feel the exhaust hose,cool to the touch is GOOD,Hot is Not...........Billy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic