Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing dizzy in new long block

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing dizzy in new long block
    Posted: April-12-2010 at 1:50am
I bought a remanufactured long block (351W, reverse rotation) for my '84 Ski Nautique and I'm at the point of installing the distributer and I want to make sure I have the procedure down.
I've got the number one cylinder (first one on the left side, facing the engine) at TDC, both exhaust and intake valves are closed, and the harmonic balancer is pointing to "0".
--So next, guide the distrubtor into place with the screen pointing directly toward the rear of the engine with the rotor lined up with the screen.
--Attach the cap. The post where the rotor is pointing is #1 and the plug wire goes to cylinder #1 (the first cylcinder on the left, facing the engine).
--Since the firing order is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3, the next post, counter clockwise on the dizzy is #8 and the wire is attached to the plug on the last cylinder on the right side.
--The next post counter clockwise is #4 and soforth.

So to summarize:
On the Ford 351W, standing in front of the engine, the first cylinder on the left is #1. On the left bank the cyclinders are 1-2-3-4 and on the right bank they are 5-6-7-8.
As long as the #1 cylinder is at TDC, wherever the rotor is pointing is the #1 position on the dizzy. Move around the dizzy counter clockwise and whatever the firing order indicates, run the cable to that cylinder.
Is this right?
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic