Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 Fuel Water Separator

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Vancouver Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancouver Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 Ski Nautique 2001 Fuel Water Separator
    Posted: April-22-2010 at 9:33pm
Hi There,

How do you know when to change the Fuel / Water Separator? Where can you buy these? How much are they. Mine has approx 150 hours.

Matthew
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 11:46pm
Happened to get mine at west marine, stopped in to check out their store at the time I needed one. Not sure of the interval. I am hoping for evey other season, but I do not get many hours on my boat.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 11:46pm
Matt - I bought mine at NAPA. Was kinda pricey, around $30. Better than a carb rebuild I guess. I replaced mine because I had no idea how old it was from PO - that was about 150 hrs ago. I am planning on running it again this year. I probably should empty the canister, might have water in it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 12:19am
I change my fuel filter every 2 oil changes so that makes 100 hours on them...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 12:43am
Is it the large 2 piece canister type? It such a large filter I went 300 hours on mine there was no water in the canister and the filter was still pretty much clean even after I cut the ends off the inside had almost no debris in it. I got mine from car quest auto parts it was a exact replacement.

lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 8:54am
I change mine every spring. I have an 88 and the filter is a little different. I can say this, when I removed the filter last week it had been sitting in fuel since the fall and there were rubber pieces that had started to break down.
lonestar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancouver Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 9:10pm
Does anyone know the Part # for this 1989 fuel water separator? Is this Fram who makes this?
Matthew
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 11:07pm
The pic I posted is a filter off a 1989 PCM 351.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancouver Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 7:15pm
I tried getting the Black Canister off with a Filter Wrench. No chance and it's so tight down there.
Any tips?
Matthew
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 11:49pm
I believe there's at a bolt at the bottom that lets the canister come off. I tried to get mine off like that no dice.

Im bad though 400 hours and idk how old it was before i bought it but thats 400 in 3 seasons haha
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 12:51am
Matt - It's actually easiest to remove the entire unit & chuck it in a vice - then you can get some torque on it.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 3:26pm
Any update Matt? I went to change mine and had the same problem. I thought I would just be able to unscrew the canister from the lid by hand, but no dice.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancouver Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 5:02pm
Honestly...I just left it for this season and might change it with the dealer over the winter. I have 908 hrs on the boat and last filter change was at 835 hrs. Not worried as I keep the boat underground in heated parking.

Cant believe how hard those are to get off!

How many hours do you have on yours?

I love your boat. Big Block makes a big difference with HP's !
Matthew
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 6:51pm
I know Nautique parts is one source for these:
Fuel Filter/Water Separator

The above is the one that mine allegedly in mine, but I couldn't find it. All I could find is the regular in line fuel filter type, that would be similar to what's in a car.

Where is it typically located?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancouver Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 7:08pm
Mines down below the front right (when facing in the observer's seat) of the engine. Beside the Oil Filter.
Matthew
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 7:26pm
Ok, thanks. I guess mine doesn't have one then.

The newer style ones look like a little actual oil filter, they just spin on and off it looks like.
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 8:32pm
Hey,

My 1982 does not screw off. You loosen the bolt and the housing slides off.

Clew In
Clew In
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 9:03pm
It looks like CC was all over the board with the design of these.

My 78 Martinique's screws off, and looks just like an oil filter.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancouver Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 9:13pm
Mine looks like a long Oil Filter Too but does not screw off easily. It's stuck!
Matthew
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2010 at 10:38pm
Matt, the first time I took mine off it was ont here pretty good as well. When I put the new one on, I used a little petroleum jelly on the gasket and it has come off with no issues since.

I hope I did not jinx myself as I will be changing mine out and putting in a solid steel brake line for the feed line to the carb.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:13am
Depending on how similar it is to an oil filter, maybe something like this would work:
Oil Filter Pliers

They make them in some different sizes and a lot of companies make them. They work great on stubborn oil filters. You just have to be careful not to totally crush it, in case it's really not coming off and you have to leave it in place.

The strap type works well and this type works well too if you can get a bite:
Oil Filter Wrench
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 10:48am
I have an 88 and can't ever get that thing off. I seem to end up waiting until I have to go to the marina for something else and let him take it off. The mechanic told me if it's on for longer than a season, he can't spin it off either w/o taking it to a vice. I'm going to start dumping it when I winterize.
1988SkiNautique2001
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 11:03am
If you mount the filter assembly upside down on the existing mount it is much easier to remove. I then used a belt style oil filter removal tool to break it loose.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 11:21am
Matt, I've got the NAPA Part # written down in my manual at home. I'll look it up and post it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:13pm
If you are going to be running ethanol fuel in your boat I would consider upgrading to a fuel/water seperator type filter that is compatible with ethanol fuels and change it every year or two. I really dont think the old small Fram filters (C111OPL) will do well long term in ethanol fuel. I think there was another thread showing a really gunked up filter a few montyhs ago.
Mrusso94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrusso94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

If you are going to be running ethanol fuel in your boat I would consider upgrading to a fuel/water seperator type filter that is compatible with ethanol fuels and change it every year or two. I really dont think the old small Fram filters (C111OPL) will do well long term in ethanol fuel. I think there was another thread showing a really gunked up filter a few montyhs ago.

Not a bad idea, i just changed out all the fuel line on my 79 supreme, the ethanol eats up the older stuff..
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 6:41pm
Okay the NAPA part # is

NAPA Gold 3436
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 6:10pm
@ Matt - Thanx :)

Here are a couple of pics of mine. I think I've finally determined that leaving it connected to the bracket, and using an oil filter wrench might be the best way to get it off...just have to go pick one up :)

Another question, the 2 small plugs on the top, what are they for? Bleeding air out of the fuel line?

Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 10:59pm
Hey,

That looks like mine and it bolts on and the canister does not screw off. Maybe they made some that screw off that look the same????

Clew In
Clew In
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 11:37pm
Bolts on from the bottom? There is a bolt on the bottom I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic