NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carpet on Bunk Too Slippery

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

We always left the turnbuckle loose until we were on flat ground, then bumped the boat forward with the brakes.

This is what I've resorted to doing. Thus far I've been able to seat the boat far enough forward that it didn't need "adjustment" exactly once. Don't know about the ramps in other parts of the country, but around here - inexplicably, considering it's Kansas - they are steep enough my turnbuckle doesn't extend far enough to even engage the eye. By the time I get it settled in the stakes it's always 2 or 3 inches back.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

We always left the turnbuckle loose until we were on flat ground, then bumped the boat forward with the brakes.

This is what I've resorted to doing. Thus far I've been able to seat the boat far enough forward that it didn't need "adjustment" exactly once. Don't know about the ramps in other parts of the country, but around here - inexplicably, considering it's Kansas - they are steep enough my turnbuckle doesn't extend far enough to even engage the eye. By the time I get it settled in the stakes it's always 2 or 3 inches back.

Joe,
There's an old thread regarding this common problem but I can't find it! Anyway, I believe it reviewed our typical drive on trailers but then went on about adding winches to improve loading. In it I commented about adding a keel roller almost to the stem and mounting a winch higher than the eye even when the boat sits on the trailer. What the roller and winch will do is raise the front of the boat so it more closely matches the angle of the trailer when it's sitting on steeper ramps. Then, the boat can be winched forward and up to the bow stop so the turnbuckle can be engaged.

I'm off to rub my bunk carpet to check it's directionality!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by phaughey phaughey wrote:

7 1/2 years and no one knew the answer. lol

I thought you were kidding.   You actually believe that bunk carpet is directional?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm off to rub my bunk carpet to check it's directionality!

No directionality!! Unless the bunk carpet is a special edition Cypress garden endorsed product, I have a feeling any directionality is due to how the boat sits on the carpet and setting the pile in a certain direction!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:47pm
I prefer my bunks bare Gary......No Carpet!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 9:11pm
Carpet takes a set after like 1 day with the boat on it. Fiber direction means nothing. This is hilarious.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 9:36pm
TimBob!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 10:21pm
I looked at what I had and used what was available for the Chain tie down.
I know there are stronger options but I think if I can keep the boat from starting to move on the trailer it won't have enough momentum to snap the tie downs. I also upgraded the rear tie straps to (2) 1,500 pound straps. The ones that snapped in the accident were only 600 pounds each.   If you add up all three changes, heavier rear tie downs plus the chains I think it will stay put.
I do know it is tied down tighter than 90% of the boats on the road so I worry less.
I considered welding the chain to the frame but my chain is galvanized to avoid rust and I did not wish to give up the galvanized option. I did not wish to attempt welding on galvanized metal. The link does show some options I wish I had found before setting this up. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I looked at what I had and used what was available for the Chain tie down. I think if I can keep the boat from starting to move on the trailer it won't have enough momentum to snap the tie downs.

Mark,
I like the chain tie down you added but just as you stated it's the momentum that has the kinetic energy that's the killer. I suggest adding a turnbuckle to the chain so there's no chance for the boat to move forward developing that momentum.

BTW, what's the directionality of your bunk carpet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 12:51am
My goodness this 7 1/2 year old post has taken off in the last 6 1/2 hours!   
However, there's been a lot of good info as well.   Quite entertaining information at that.

Directional bunk carpet?
I know that carpets coming off a roll may seem to have directionality, but it's only due to the packaging process (rolling of the carpet on the spools) and is certainly not a permanent condition. I doubt it would have any measurable effect on hold one way or the other - unless you had a Velcro hull     
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 8:18am
Here's the ultimate way to keep the boat on the trailer without special edition directional bunk carpet!!

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I had a Sanger Alley Cat which strattled the trailer with the bunks running in between the hulls. The front seats wre mounted directly to the floor which besides being uncomfortable made it difficult to drive. With the help of a professional marina we made new pedistal boxes for the seats raising them about 4" higher than original and we lagged them right through the hull into the trailer.When we jacked the boat up to see if the lags protruded the hull the trailer wheels came off the ground. It was quite funny when the boat was screwed to the trailer. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 9:57am
I am hoping for Jim Mastrom to chime in on the carpet directionality issue. He works in the business so I am sure he will know!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 10:25am
Thanks for the intro Bill !
Yes, carpet does have a direction as a result of the tufting process.
Care must be taken when installing carpet and making cuts/seams. The two pieces must me running in the same direction. If not the seam will appear to be two different colors on each side of the seam. Of course, this applies to installing residential and commercial carpet.
However, I do not see how the direction of the carpet would make much difference on carpet trailer bunks!
Have heard of folks spraying on products that make the carpet more slick......bad idea on the trailer bunks.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 11:12am

"I TOLD YOU TO RUN THAT CARPET THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!"
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 2:32pm
A little silence on this thread between 2010 and 2017. ???

I met a girl with blue carpet and blue curtains.

I left a gap on my 93 SN and the blocking boards and with wet carpet and a panic stop and the boat hit hard and broke out the weld on the bolt/nut that holds the blocking stand on the trailer. Boat stayed. I have the same extra chain tie-down as pictured above.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 2:44pm
I had the turnbuckle pop off while pulling out on a steep ramp. Not sure how that happened but after that I installed a safety chain with a clip in parallel with the turnbuckle. So the bow eye always has two clips on it.
Susan's 78 Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2017 at 2:53pm
Quotes…
“You must be pretty lonely yourself, to drag up a thread that was from 7 1/2 years ago”
“I'm so lonely I think I will go and stroke my carpet directional”
“Does it matter if the carpet matches the drapes?”

I am sitting by myself, next to my dog as i read this thread and I am laughing out loud so hard that my dog is a little concerned!!! I don't know any of you but I love you already! Hysterical!!
My '78 Ski Tique Family Boat
Purchased NEW in the summer of '78
Restoring it LIKE NEW for the summer of 2018!
philthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:12pm
So I want to further keep this thread resurrected. I'm about to redo the bunks on my trailer and along with getting the carpet glued on (fuzzy side down, right?) I was wondering if it's a good idea to run some angle iron underneath the board? The way I see it, it's supported the whole length instead of just at the risers and it should make it last longer, no? Of course, this is my first boat and first boat trailer and for all I know, the wood is original to the trailer so it could be 30 years old and I'm trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.

2x2x.125 would be more than strong enough and give a decent base for the 2X6 to lie on.

Of course, if this is a good idea, then I have to leave the boat at the lake, drive home, weld the angle on, prime it, paint it, let it dry, bolt the new bunk on, drive back to the lake and try to find my boat. That seems overly complex now that I typed it out. I'm just gonna unscrew the old bunks at the marina and zip the new ones on.

Good talk. Glad we had it.
Troy Wiora
Senior Test Pilot
- www.AbusiveMotorSports.com</a>

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,all-spc-your-spc-base.png[
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by philthy philthy wrote:

So I want to further keep this thread resurrected. I'm about to redo the bunks on my trailer and along with getting the carpet glued on (fuzzy side down, right?) I was wondering if it's a good idea to run some angle iron underneath the board? The way I see it, it's supported the whole length instead of just at the risers and it should make it last longer, no? Of course, this is my first boat and first boat trailer and for all I know, the wood is original to the trailer so it could be 30 years old and I'm trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.

2x2x.125 would be more than strong enough and give a decent base for the 2X6 to lie on.

Of course, if this is a good idea, then I have to leave the boat at the lake, drive home, weld the angle on, prime it, paint it, let it dry, bolt the new bunk on, drive back to the lake and try to find my boat. That seems overly complex now that I typed it out. I'm just gonna unscrew the old bunks at the marina and zip the new ones on.

Good talk. Glad we had it.

Yes it was, sometimes those little voices are just so logical
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic