Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

18V Kits- DeWalt vs. Milwaukee vs. Ridgid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18V Kits- DeWalt vs. Milwaukee vs. Ridgid?
    Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:00pm
My 18V Ryobi combo kit has been AMAZING over the past 6 years. That was back when the set cost like 350 bucks- they weren't giving them away like they are now. I have beat the sh*t out of all of the tools and used them to remodel and build almost every room in my house as well as outside projects, etc. THOUSANDS of deck screws, drywall screws, subfloor screws, dozens of big hole-saw projects, etc. and the drill is still going like new. Circ saw has been through hundreds of board feet of plywood, etc, still rocking. Recip saw has cut through everything and everything reliably for years. The tools look like they have been through war. The batteries still hold a charge for hours of use and I'm completely amazed by how well this "cheap" set of tools has held up over the years. I finally somewhat killed my 18V recip saw with a huge cutting job last fall, and then I proceeded to leave it out in heavy rain. The sucker is still going but I think it may may let the smoke out soon.

I think it's time to graduate to the "big boy" tools and go with a top of the line combo kit. Who makes the best stuff these days? Are all the big brands made by some huge Chinese conglomerate now? Is it all crap or does anybody still make a good tool? I'm leaning toward DeWalt quite frankly because they look so cool. Love the yellow. My Dad's nearly-new Ridgid 18V drill is already flaking out so I'm leaning away from that brand as my Ryobi outgunned it by far in assembling my dock last weekend. I'm neutral on Milwaukee.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:05pm
I know a lot of the guys working in construction over here all swear by Dewalt and/or Hilti... Great tools and very reliable!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:12pm
Milwaukee Electric Tool is a subsidiary of Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. (TTI), ttigroup.com.

Founded in 1985, TTI is a leading marketer, manufacturer and supplier of home improvement and floor care products, employing over 20,000 people worldwide. TTI's global brand portfolio includes Ryobi®, Milwaukee® and AEG® power tools, DreBo® carbide drill bits, Homelite® and Ryobi® outdoor power equipment and Royal®, Dirt Devil®, Regina® and VAX® floor care appliances. The acquisition takes advantage of TTI and Milwaukee’s marketing and distribution networks and enhances Milwaukee’s ability to expand its markets and product portfolio worldwide.

Looks like Milwaukees are just more expensive Ryobis now.

So you've gotten your use out of this combo kit, time to focus on the individual tools. Get the best recip saw, best drill, best circ saw for how you use them. Sawzalls seem to last forever. I'd also look into what kind of service/repair each tool MFG offers.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:24pm
I'm taking a hard look at the 4-pc DeWalt set that has the impact driver, hammer drill, recip saw, and flashlight. I think I'd get a lot of use out of the impact driver with the car and boat work. My Dad was an electrician for years and his Milwaukee tools all still work great and are all ~30 years old at this point. Pretty amazing.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:38pm
I am a DeWalt guy. Have a bunch of them, and have worked the ever-loving crap out of them in a similar fashion to what you described in your original post. Total remodel of house, horsebarn, outbuildings, work shop, cars, boats, fencing, and more. Dewalt has a really good service center in Mpls, and have a flat rate repair fee on all of the tools. I have not burned any out, but have broken a couple.
I really want one of the little 1/4" impact driver. My brother has one and they are awesome. Once a year or so, Home Depot has the 2x 18v battery pack for a good price too. How many do you get in the big kit? Four ?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:44pm
DeWALT is not the same DeWALT it once was either. They are currently owned by Stanley/Black&Decker. I'm afraid they too might be riding the success that the original companies built, profiting off building the tools with cheaper parts. I sure sound like I'm slamming these guys, though Milwaukees and DeWALTs have both always served me well too. Thought I'd share this information.

Like most things in life, as long as it's not total POS, if you take care of it you should expect it to last.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 8:50pm
I think B&D has owned DeWalt for quite a while.   That said, I have not had to buy a new power tool in years. The exception being batteries for them, but that is to be expected with the use I put them through.
I even have a Dewalt clock on the wall in my shop.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I think B&D has owned DeWalt for quite a while.   

As in forever? I'll have to eat my words, B&D launched DeWALT in 1992. I've never seen an old, banged up B&D power tool going strong, they must be doing something right with DeWALT. My apologies!

B&D does have a "cooperative arrangement" with Hitachi Koki. They also bought Porter-Cable and Delta in 2004.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:24pm
My current power tool line up,
Makita 18v LXT impact driver and hammer drill set
Milwaukee 12v subcompact driver (awesome little tool)
Skil corded wormdrive circ saw
Makita corded variable speed random orbit sander
Milwaukee corded recip saw
DeWalt angle griner

Of your three choices, I'd go with Milwaukee, then DeWalt.
Joel, just do what you do best and research everthing.
I am not a fan of the kits, build your collection 1 piece at a time.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:42pm
Neck deep in DEWALT's. FYI Last week I bought the four piece you were refering to (with the impact) at Lowes (for a new service truck) $300.00
The impact however is nothing more than a nut runner with an impact clutch.
bj
hasbeenskier
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 10:04pm
Here's my 2 cents, MAKITA!!! all the way. 18 years in the trades now and I started off with Dewalt, they were good 15 years ago but have since been bought out by black and decker. Currently crap. The thing I never liked about Dewalt was if you had a tool with a lot of torque the plastic would twist, just felt real cheap and like it would break if I wasn't careful. Then I switched over to Milwaukee since I seen so much of their older tools still being used 20 years later. The cordless stuff was heavy at first and have since gotten lighter. Still durable and a Contractor grade tool. Then I switched to Makita after noticing that their 100 dollar table saws could handle any neglect thrown at it. Their cordless tools at the time were real torquey and light. Just about all of my power tools are Makita now and I'm not dissapointed at all. The only thing that I've ever had a problem with was a narrow crown staple gun that would shear the drive pin if PSI was over 90 other than that their stuff is rugged. One of the best tools is the 1/4" cordless impact, this tool is "king" for lag bolts or tapcons or even long screws. We were building a 5 story condo and were setting span crete. I accidently kicked it off the edge and it fell to the dirt. When it was brought back up to me it was fine and still works fine 3 years later. Just remember with Makita white tools are for the home owner and blue is for contractor.
87' 2001
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 11:11pm
I work at a papermill and the tools get used and abused more than anything I have ever seen. Snap-On seem to hold up the best and the batteries last a long time. But, they are expensive for home use. My favorite for around the house is Craftsman 19.2V, I have had a set for about 5 years. I bought large combo kit and everything still works great. I actually had to buy a new drill last year though, because someone stole my old one. They have plenty of power and hold up great.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 11:33pm
Just bought the Dewalt Lith-Ion 18V multi pack. I'm amazed! Hands down the best for us local boys.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
83ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 11:41pm
i just bought all of the makita 18v lithium ion stuff. it is priced right and the battery charge lasst alot longer. plus its super lightweight.

i threw all of my dewalt stuff in the dumpster. it is trash. way to heavy, the batterys dont last at all and its way overpriced. i was a dewalt guy for years but not anymore. we have 15 guys on our crew so we just bought 15 sets and everyone is way happier
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 11:49pm
I've got a bunch of ridgid tools I love them, so far only one failure, a reciprocating saw I overheated and then got stuck, it let the magic smoke out...

The drills on the other hand have been indestructible, although all the tools are at least 4 years old, 18v batteries are heavy, the tools are heavy without the batteries, the chucks are all metal jacobs. I don't think the stuff made today is as well made. You have to look closely at the tools in the kits, compare them to the ones that are sold stand alone, often the drill chucks are inferior even the "snout" length of the tool will vary, some of them are obviously better made. Just my .02 and I tend to abuse my tools.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:34am
I've been using Dewalt for about 6 years now, building approx 30 decks per year. I have 2 hammer drills, 3 impact drivers, 1 right angle drill, jig saw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, and about 12 batteries. I usually keep 2-3 batts charging while working with two of us running through them. The recip and circular saws see absolutely no action, that's all left to corded Milwaukee's. I have only had 3 of my units in for repair at my local tool center. All have worked very well.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 2:31am
I am a flooring contractor and own a lot of dewalt tools, I think their cordless products are the strenght of thier line. I also like their contractors table saw. They are not considered a top of the line tool but are contractor grade and provide a very good value for the money. I do not use my cordless tools as heavily as you. I run a makita 10.? volt lithium drill and driver. I like their compactness and amazing power for the size (the hammer drill drives 3.5 inch screws with ease) but battery life would be an issue for you. Any contractor grade lithium 18 volt will likely serve you well. I have not personally been impressed by ryobi, but if they held up for you I think you would be very happy with dewalt, ridgid, makita, milwauke or hilti. All would be an upgrade. Cordless tools are like cell phones, the technology advances so rapidly I am not sure it is worth spending big dollars on something that will last 10 years when you will likely want to replace it in two or three with the latest and greatest.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 5:21pm
I worked for Hitachi Power Tools for 5+ years in various capacities so I've seen a lot of the research on these tools and have formed some of my own opinions from testing them. Of all of the tool brands on the market now, I think Makita is making some of the best tools. Before I left Hitachi, we had to do some product testing that involved tearing all of the major competitors tools apart and looking at gears, armatures, windings, carbon brushes, switches, housings, you name it. Makita had great gears, sealed switches, etc. Their cordless line with the Li-Ion batteries was strong as well. DeWalt makes good tools and has dominated the market. We used to always think of them as a Marketing company that made power tools. Most people are very tied to them as a brand because they own so many of their cordless tools that it's hard to switch over to another brand. A lot of the Techtronic's (TTI) upper management are former DeWalt/Black and Decker execs that jumped ship. That's why Milwaukee has seen a resurgence in the market. I think Milwaukee also makes solid tools. Each company has their bread and butter category - DeWalt = cordless, Milwaukee = Recip Saws, Makita - Cordless and Miter, Bosch - rotary/demo hammers and jigsaws, Hitachi - nail guns and so on. If it were me, I'd buy Makita, DeWalt, then Milwaukee.
1993 Sport Nautique - sold May 2010
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 5:48pm
I have a makita and its a blast!! I also like dewalt, which I have non.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 6:30pm
Do your homework before you buy.

If you buy at a bigbox store you will probably get a tool with plastic gears (and other stuff to make them cheaper to make). If you buy from a tool supply store (more $$) you probably will get a higher quality tool.

Tim

PS-

We have a goo collection of stuff...I don't like to get brand loyal.

Ryobi 18V green.....working good....3 years old.

Bosch cordless......charger no longer works, chuck is a POS.

Craftsman 18V.....one battery dead in 2 years.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 6:56pm
FWIW I think my Ryobi set has been so good because 6 years ago they were breaking into the market and probably put more into the tools at that time. The set was like 350 (instead of the 99.00 it is now) and the newer versions of the tools seem a lot more cheaply made than the set I have. That's my theory on how this set has lasted so long and taken so much abuse, anyway.

Looking hard at the DeWalt XRP stuff. It's a lot more expensive than non-XRP but based on my research people really like it. Waiting desperately for Home Depot gift cards to arrive from my credit card points...
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 12:34am
Ended up with the DeWalt XRP 2 piece sawzall and hammer drill kit for 299.00. Both units seem very serious. Heavy, stout, serious business. First "nice" electric tools I've ever purchased. This trend will most likely continue.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 5:11am
Carefull, its a disease.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 9:14am
If you go with Dewalt, make sure you stick with the XRP line as they use an all metal gear box, and their batteries are made using better quality cells. The non XRP series battery line has been junk for the last year or more.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 5:24pm

New nail gun, made by DeWALT.
It can drive a 16-D nail through a 2 X 4 at 200 yards. This makes construction a breeze, you can sit in your lawn chair and build a fence. Just get your wife to hold the fence boards in place while you sit back, relax with a cold drink and when she has the board in the right place, just fire away. With the hundred round magazine you can build the fence with a minimum of reloading. After a day of fence building with the new DeWalt Rapid fire nail gun the wife will not ask you to build or fix anything else, probably, ever again.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 9:22pm
Speaking of nail guns, has anyone seen this? nail gun art

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
athhud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athhud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 3:30am
I've gone through just about every kind of tool dewalt makes. I've killed 3 drills, 2 circ saws, a light, and a reciprocating saw. My older Ryobis are still holding strong with the exception of the batteries, which have been quite abused.
Andrew
harlyalice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlyalice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 2:40pm
Helpful thread.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 12:59pm
I started with a Craftsman 19.2v drill Professional series, that thing was a tank and outlasted my friends Mikita when building his deck...but in the end, the batteries stopped charging at around year 3 :( I also purchased one of the first BD 18v circ saw...complete garbage. It could barely cut a 2x4.

Finally bought a Dewalt 18v Li-Ion Driver/Drill combo and is still going strong 9 years later. Over the years ended up getting the 18v xrp circ saw, jig, rotary, flashlight, and radio (for the extra charger). The xrp batteries are finally giving out (6 ish years maybe?) . I really like the driver, but only got the other tools to match the batteries.

All my corded tools are PC (I'll never give up my 690 router).

Now if $$ was no object...I'd be seriously considering Festool. But overall I've been happy with Dewalt for Cordless and PC for corded stuff.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 9:48pm
I've used most of the major brands at one time or another and found most very similar in performance but some more ergonomically appealing. I bought a Rigid combo set for myself and have seriously abused it at times for the last 5-1/2 years with the same batteries. What I liked most about it was the Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) as Rigid refers to it.   This includes the tools and $100 a piece battery packs. Free tool repair and battery replacement. The only downside is that you have to very carefully follow the registration instructions or the LSA won't be valid.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic