Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet sanding...purgatory or punishment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gpax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet sanding...purgatory or punishment?
    Posted: March-17-2014 at 11:30am
So I'm a little confused on the product list.
I ordered all the 3M products listed and I actually got them all for under $100 on amazon with free shipping with my prime account.

Now I need to order the buffing pads and the backing plate but when I click on the link it doesn't look like they have the same model numbers listed on the website that you have listed. Am I missing something? I know this is an older post so numbers may have changed. Any help would be great.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

If the boat isn't heaviy scratched and is just faded, simply take the wool pad and some compound to it... You want to work to where you just get the color back and stop

Moj, I agree that you definitely dont want to go any coarser than necessary- remove the least amount of material possible. However, Ive never had any luck restoring color with just compound alone. 3M SD is the most aggressive compound Ive found and it will remove some oxidation, light scratches and obviously restore the shine- but its not enough to bring back a color that is faded. I had to wetsand down to 320 on my '90 to get the deck back, and areas of the Tique took 220 grit. Thats not to say I didnt try the buffer first!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 8:20pm
Gary, thanks. I ordered some.

Kristof, my son buffed an 88 Malibu Skier this past summer. The boat still has a good finish, but was starting to dull and had areas that had faded. He spent a day buffing with the 3 compounds and then waxed with Collintes and it brought it back like new.

When he did our Mustang, I'm not sure how he decided how far back to go with the sandpaper.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 8:09pm
Kristoff,
Please do not just start sanding with 600 or even 800 on that boat !!!! If the boat isn't heaviy scratched and is just faded, simply take the wool pad and some compound to it... You want to work to where you just get the color back and stop, because if you start with the heavier grit, you're going to have to go over it until you get to at least a 1000 before you hit it with the pastes...

I'd start with the liquid cutting compound and then the finese-it product and see if theat gives you the result you want, if not, then hit it with 1200 and so forth....

No need to put deeper scratches in the gel right off the bat.. just remember what's being said around and corners, as they will burn pretty quick...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 12:09am
Thanks guy's.As you know 1st hand Bruce it takes alot of time and I didn't keep track. The sides still show the "weave" of the matt tho,and in those hollows the color is still alittle off,it's very hard to sand out.I don't think Kristof's boat will have that problem.
Thanks for the gas filler tip Bruce,I see it now on their web site.Hollywood told me about the front chocks in case you need some.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 10:37am
Gary,
that is some very nice work!

I made a parts and material list for the work I've planned... Holy cr@p, I thought it would never end .

At the end of next week, she's going to the upholsterer to get a new interior. After that she's getting a new cover.
I plan on using the old cover on her while I sand and buff the hull, so there won't be too much mess getting inside of the boat.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 10:15am
Gary, you're boat looks great. How many hours did it take to bring it back?   FYI, N3 sells the original gas filler and cap.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 2:00am
Kristof,Here is the boat when I got it and the last one is from after I sanded it this summer.I started with 400 but it was not doing much.Some places I used 220.I don't think yours is that bad,so start with 400 and see how it looks.Be careful on the edges,on mine that is where the gelcoat is the thinnist.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 2:42pm
You and Bama are really putting some of us (I'm feeling exceedingly guilty) to shame with those 89s you're shining up.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 2:38pm
Randall, where did you get your vertical offset cleats for the bimini? I just put a bimini on my boat this summer and my only regret is that I couldn't figure out how to get the bimini installed to fold over the windshield. vertical mounting posts never occurred to me. Thanks too for the tutorial on your boat's facelift. It looks great
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:30pm
Thanks Pete
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:27pm
Kristof,
That really depends on how bad the gel is oxidized. I'd start with 600 but if that's not doing it, go with a light pass with 400. You'll see Gary started with 320 but his boat is older and his gel was pretty badly oxidized.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:33pm
So, Pete, what grit would you suggest to start with? 600? 800?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 2:47pm
I'll have to buy one for my son, he's got a job coming up soon. Maybe the customer won't know the difference.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, have you used an electric sander on a boat for wet sanding? After watching David wet sand our Mustang starting with 400 and working up to 1500, I can see how it would be tempting go use one, but wonder if it would come out as good.

Bruce,
It works great! I've used the electric on glass as well on painted wood. Since the electric is more aggressive, I do recommend starting with a finer grit paper. Dave (mojo) used it on his mahogany colored glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 10:33am
Pete, have you used an electric sander on a boat for wet sanding? After watching David wet sand our Mustang starting with 400 and working up to 1500, I can see how it would be tempting go use one, but wonder if it would come out as good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong Greg, but you got up REALLY early this morning.
Normally Pete's always the first to reply...

Kristof,
Sorry but I missed this thread yesterday. I must be needing to go to the eye doctor!

Greg's not up early, he just hadn't gone to bed yet!!

The electric will work wet as long as you use wet/dry hook and loop paper. A spray bottle of water in one hand and the RO in the other. You really don't need much water. A squirt every once in awhile just to keep the sanding slurry from clogging up the paper is all that's needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 8:47am
Correct me if I'm wrong Greg, but you got up REALLY early this morning.
Normally Pete's always the first to reply...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:24am
OK then, I'll hush.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:02am
Gary,
Mine looks similar to the one in the link you posted.

Greg,
Since the red has faded beyond recognition I'll wetsand it with the sander Gary mentionned first. Then afterwards wetsand by hand with the finer papers and follow the procedure by polishing and buffing with the advised 3M products.
Got me a good buffer for that purpose...

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 11:14pm
I did mine with a DA sander and was very happy with the finish.I ended up starting with 320 and finished up with 2000.If I ever have to do this again Im going to get one of these
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 10:52pm
And don't sand any of it dry.

Edit-I forget you're other thread...sand it dry if you're re-gelling.?

Edit 2-Found it, you want to wet sand to restore the true color of your boat and then have the repair done. You don't want the repair matched to the wrong color.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 10:51pm
Kristof, your boat is about the same age as mine...so no!   

Get an assortment of paper and see what makes a difference. Every 'scratch'
from one grit has to be removed by the next. Trust me, your boat will look a lot bigger when you realize what you're in for...don't make it worse.

Trade in your sanders for a good buffer.
1988 BFN-sold

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by 89Ski_Nautique 89Ski_Nautique wrote:

Wet sanding by hand is no picnic for anyone especially for a rookie like me. I realized when starting out for my first time, I thought for the first time out of the gate I probably be better off by block sanding the hull/deck by hand. If I had to do it over again I would use power tools!

Since I'm in for the punishment or purgatory this winter, just a question... So it would be OK to sand the first time (thicker grit) with a power tool? I have two DA rotary sanders, one that works on compressed air and one on electricity.
Would you wetsand with this tool or dry?

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2010 at 12:09am
Well guys, I'm in the same boat. Was gonna wait till this fall to do my wet-sanding and re-decaling, but I got an e-mail from someone upon the return trip from the White Lake 'Mini'.So I had to start the 'punishment' as Randy calls it on the 93.
And again, the son-in-law was supposed to help but skipped out saying he had to go look at a car. He's getting a Nissan Armada now., well it'll be my daughter's.
So 6 hours straight of wet-sanding Saturday the 1st with 2000 grit 3M only.Probably will wet-sand again Sunday the 2nd, Only the Purple, then maybe start with the compounding and buffing.I might be done with it this weekend.My hands are all cramping so if I misspell something, so be it.
   If it turns out OK, and this person gives it the OK, I'll let you know why this had to be done right away.(No Donald, I'm not selling it!)
Although I was offered $8500 for it the other day.
Here's a few pics:

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2010 at 11:21am
Randy, Nice job ! Boat came out looking great. Thanks for posting in such detail as I am contemplating wet sanding our 1977. You can definately be proud of your work. John.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 11:37pm
Wow what a post Randy. You left no detail out I would think. Boat looks just awesome. You gotta feel great about it and Linda must be very proud of you.

Whole thing written like a true engineer.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 7:51pm
Great job, Randall
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 2:39pm
Great write and and a great job. It is definitely a lot of work restoring gel like that. I did mine last year. Now all you have to do is maintain it well and it will keep it's shine.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 1:44pm
Boat looks great and your trials and errors will help the entire community. I am getting ready to wet sand my hull and repaint the waterline and replace the decals. Thanks for a great write up!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic