NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet sanding...purgatory or punishment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 10:15am
Gary, you're boat looks great. How many hours did it take to bring it back?   FYI, N3 sells the original gas filler and cap.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2010 at 10:37am
Gary,
that is some very nice work!

I made a parts and material list for the work I've planned... Holy cr@p, I thought it would never end .

At the end of next week, she's going to the upholsterer to get a new interior. After that she's getting a new cover.
I plan on using the old cover on her while I sand and buff the hull, so there won't be too much mess getting inside of the boat.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 12:09am
Thanks guy's.As you know 1st hand Bruce it takes alot of time and I didn't keep track. The sides still show the "weave" of the matt tho,and in those hollows the color is still alittle off,it's very hard to sand out.I don't think Kristof's boat will have that problem.
Thanks for the gas filler tip Bruce,I see it now on their web site.Hollywood told me about the front chocks in case you need some.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 8:09pm
Kristoff,
Please do not just start sanding with 600 or even 800 on that boat !!!! If the boat isn't heaviy scratched and is just faded, simply take the wool pad and some compound to it... You want to work to where you just get the color back and stop, because if you start with the heavier grit, you're going to have to go over it until you get to at least a 1000 before you hit it with the pastes...

I'd start with the liquid cutting compound and then the finese-it product and see if theat gives you the result you want, if not, then hit it with 1200 and so forth....

No need to put deeper scratches in the gel right off the bat.. just remember what's being said around and corners, as they will burn pretty quick...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 8:20pm
Gary, thanks. I ordered some.

Kristof, my son buffed an 88 Malibu Skier this past summer. The boat still has a good finish, but was starting to dull and had areas that had faded. He spent a day buffing with the 3 compounds and then waxed with Collintes and it brought it back like new.

When he did our Mustang, I'm not sure how he decided how far back to go with the sandpaper.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

If the boat isn't heaviy scratched and is just faded, simply take the wool pad and some compound to it... You want to work to where you just get the color back and stop

Moj, I agree that you definitely dont want to go any coarser than necessary- remove the least amount of material possible. However, Ive never had any luck restoring color with just compound alone. 3M SD is the most aggressive compound Ive found and it will remove some oxidation, light scratches and obviously restore the shine- but its not enough to bring back a color that is faded. I had to wetsand down to 320 on my '90 to get the deck back, and areas of the Tique took 220 grit. Thats not to say I didnt try the buffer first!
gpax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2014 at 11:30am
So I'm a little confused on the product list.
I ordered all the 3M products listed and I actually got them all for under $100 on amazon with free shipping with my prime account.

Now I need to order the buffing pads and the backing plate but when I click on the link it doesn't look like they have the same model numbers listed on the website that you have listed. Am I missing something? I know this is an older post so numbers may have changed. Any help would be great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic