NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 16>
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.O.S
    Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:24am
Finally got a chance to bring the Mustang out for the fist time this year. Adjusted the timing and tuned in the new Holley 4 barrel. Just before we were ready to leave I decided we should see what she would do at WOT. Everything was running great, engine sounded beautiful. Had her at WOT for probably less than 10 seconds.

Went back to idle, looked at my temp gauge and it was almost maxed out! Opened up the box and the entire bilge was filled with water! I turned on the pump and headed for the ramp before we sank, water just kept flowing in. The temperature was moving down as we were moving, and moving fast, water was going everywhere.

To shorten the story a bit, we set her on the ramp while I got the truck backed down and pulled her out. I'm thinking hose blew out, hole in the bottom, who knows. All the hoses are intact, as they should be since they are new. Finally I noticed something sitting on top of the starter. It's a plug! From the engine block. Popped right out.

I never even new it existed. I guess the pressure from WOT and the fact that it looks pretty old just was too much for it. Well I bumped the engine to see if it would turn over and she wanted to start right up. But I didn't. So there was hope. Until I got home and checked the oil. It's white. I pulled off the flame arrestor and water was dripping out. My guess is with the water flying around in the engine box it sucked it right in.

Well hell. What do I do now? Is there any hope or did I kill the H.M.? Is there anything I can do right now to minimize the damage? Drain the oil? The manifolds where hot, water sizzled off of them.

And what is this plug I knew nothing about? Never saw a reference to it in the manual.

Anyway, bad day, thanks for any help!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:31am
Have you tried calling Jim ar Greg?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:32am
I'd change the oil, replace the plug and get it running. It sounds like a freeze plug that pulled out? I had that happen once, but caught it sooner. I had slowed down to an idle and noticed the bilge pump come on. I never did find the plug or figure out why it came out.
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:43am
My first guess is that a freeze plug popped out. If the engine block area that the freeze plug sits in isn't too corroded you should be able to put a new one in, and since one popped, you should replace them all. They're $4.50 at SkiDim. Getting them in is a fine art, there are plenty of tips in the forums. As far as potential damage, very hard to say. Like you said, plenty of water splash under the cover would have found some getting in the intake, but it shouldn't have got into the oil. Definitely get it dried out and drain the oil if you think there's water in it. Keep asking questions here, these guys are awesome, helped me every time.
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:46am

There's the plug.

Is the oil white from water? Does it even make sense that water would get into the oil from the intake? Would it not go straight to the combustion and vaporize? Or did I blow my intake gasket?

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:48am
And how fast should I be moving on this? I'm sure I'm not going to get to anything till tomorrow after work.

MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:57am
That doesn't look like a freeze plug. Most freeze plugs are brass (marine use) and need to be carefully driven into the block. That plug looks like a home remedy substitute. Go to www.skidim.com and look under 'engine-block related for a pic. I wouldn't stay up tonight to do it, but as soon as you can tomorrow would be best.
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:57am
It just hit me. The oil pan was completely submerged in water and I have an oil leak towards the rear. It's either the oil pan gasket back there or the rear seal. My guess is that's how the water got in.

Thanks for the help guys , I'm calmly freaking out.
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:00am
At least you weren't in salt water...........
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:11am
I'm asking because I don't know, but should the trainy be a concern also if the boat had that much water in it?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:26am
Thats one of those cheap quick fix freeze plugs. Drain the oil asap, refill,pull the plugs put some oil in the cylinders and turn it over to coat the cylinder walls.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:40am
Go get another temp freeze plug for now,and get it running as soon as you can. Keep an eye on it in case it's still taking on water and see where to go from there.You might have to change oil a couple of times. One of the worst things to do to a motor, no load,cold oil, and wide open, but you know that... now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:53am
Yeah, that freeze plug is a back-yard mechanics quick fix. You tighten up the nut and it expands the rubber to form the seal. We got guys that come in all the time to get those for their 'hoopdees' Change the oil a couple of times and check that tranny fluid too!That motor is rock solid, wouldn't worry about her.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 3:25am
Thanks guys, I'll change the oil as soon as I can. How do you think the water got in there? Could I be right about the oil pan? Talked to my dad and he doesn't think that much water would have gotten in in that short of a time unless I blew a head gasket or cracked the block.

I understand the freeze plug now. Thought that expanding rubber one seemed like a bad idea, I'm surprised its just now coming out. How do I replace with a metal one? Rubber mallet? Skidim says to freeze them first.

If I'm going to flush the oil a couple of times, can I do the flushing with a cheaper oil, or do I need to use the VR-1 for all of it?

Thanks again!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 8:49am
David,
Go with some cheap oil for the flushing. Run it for about 10 minutes till it's up to temp and change it.

Someone at Skidim must be smoking something again. Brass has a very high thermal coefficient close to aluminum. IE: it transfers heat/cold very well. Put the core plug in the freezer and by the time you get it to the hole it will be warm!! Do a "how to search" on line. I remember seeing a real nice tutorial with pictures on the install.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 10:40am
David - Use some locktite sealant on the freeze plug when you install it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 10:51am
If you had water on sizzling on the exhaust manifolds then it got pretty hot. Possible scenario-core plug popped messing up the cooling, it got hot and maybe blew a head gasket?

Hope not, good luck.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 11:12am
I found some info on installing the plug. Of course this plug is right over the starter. Even pulling the starer it will be hard do drive a plug into. Wondering if I would need to pull the engine?

A compression test should tell me if I blew a head gasket right? Being that my manifolds are aluminum, wouldn't they get hotter quicker than the cast iron?

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 2:30pm
I do not understand how you could get enough water to turn the oil white just from a bad rear seal or oil pan gasket. Unfortunately, I think there are bigger problems in there.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 2:57pm
I was thinking the same. Going home at lunch to test the compression. See if I blew a head gasket. If that's the case, is there a reason to change the oil? What would the next step be? What does a head gasket job usually cost?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 5:25pm
Compression test is done.

All between 110-130. Median being 120. Cylinder 3 was the lowest at 110 and it's opposing cylinder, no. 7, was 130.

Spark plugs looked great.
The oil level on the dip stick seems to be right at where it was before I went out. But white of course. There is also white oil under the oil cap.

What do you fellas make of that?

What do y'all make of that?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 5:38pm
David,
How "white" is the oil? Can you describe it? Does it look like it blended with the oil meaning you have lots of water or is this just white on the dip stick and under the fill cap.

I'd change the oil and see what it looks like.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 5:51pm
It has that curdled milky white look. When I pull the dip stick, I don't see any signs of "regular" oil. All white. As is under the oil cap and pcv valve.

I have not had time to dig any deeper than that. I will flush it after work and post the results.

Is it possible to blow the intake gasket and get water in the oil from there? What if I screwed up my installation of that? There was no water in the oil after I ran it in the driveway, but this was the first time under load.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 6:18pm
running it under load wouldn't have blown the gasket. Flush it out but new oil in run it at temp in the drive check the did stick ever so often and if it starts looking milky again turn it off and find a new block to rebuild with.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 12:15am
Here's what's coming out.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 12:23am
Could the block have frozen?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 12:40am
Vondy post a pic on your spark plugs too see how good they look please.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 12:45am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

running it under load wouldn't have blown the gasket. Flush it out but new oil in run it at temp in the drive check the did stick ever so often and if it starts looking milky again turn it off and find a new block to rebuild with.

And this is why I would not spend too much time repairing that freeze plug,just go get another of what fell out for now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 1:47am
I'll post a pic of a plug tomorrow, done for the night. All of them were dry and clean.

I don't think the block would have frozen. I drained her before any freezing weather hit. Also, when I installed the carb, she ran for quite a while in the yard while tuning her. The oil was fine then.

All I got was the oil drained tonight. My pump takes forever and never get's it all. I have to drain the rest into the bilge with oil absorbing towels below. I have a drain hose but realized there is no possible way to get it installed with the engine in the boat. So tomorrow I hope to put some fresh oil in and start the flushing process.

Gary I got a new rubber freeze plug in place for now.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 2:42am
if the plugs are dry I dont think you have a cracked head or cylinder.. you could pull the intake and inspect there for leaks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 16>
  Share Topic