NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 16>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 3:04pm
David,
If you do find water on the exhaust side of the manifold, the next step is to pull the riser elbow off the manifold. Use patience and plenty of penetrating oil with those aluminum castings. I have first hand knowledge that the riser elbows have a thin weak spot that can crack out from improper draining but also burn through with age and or overheating. You'll see 2 plugs at the bottom of the exhaust elbow next to each other. One goes to the exhaust and the other to the water jacket. The bad spot is inside right in the area of those two plug holes. How's your TIG welding?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 3:10pm
Vondy if you're bored at work here's my msn. Luchog01@hotmail.com
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 3:14pm
Thanks Luchog, I'm not actually bored, busy in fact, just trying to keep the positive thoughts flowing. If I do get some downtime I'll IM you.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 11:11pm
OK, if I did this right, that exhaust manifold has a leak. I put the riser higher than the intake hose, filled the hose until I could see water in the riser drain plug hole. Water came out of number 1. The lowest. And all of them if I leveled it out.

So, if I did it right and my exhaust manifold is leaking, is it possible that's it or do I need to keep digging deeper?

Damn I really like the look of these manifolds, hope I can repair or find some more. It really makes the H/M.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 2:06am
Got the bolts loosened on the manifolds, of course they won't come apart. Any hints on getting the risers to separate? I was thinking about using a putty knife and slowly digging away at the gasket.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 9:26am
David,
It sounds like you did the water test correctly as long as you didn't get the water high enough for it to enter the exhaust cavity via the ports in the riser elbow. These are the holes between the water jacket and the exhaust side where water enters the exhaust stream. It's why Chris told you to raise the riser elbow end higher.

Good you have the bolts loose. Try running them out against the elbow to the point where they start "jacking" against the elbow. Don't put too much pressure on them. You don't want to damage the aluminum threads is possible (they may not be in decent shape now). Then go at it with a putty knife. Then a wood chisel. If you damage ether face no big deal because I'd say they are going to need refacing anyway.

When you get them apart, you'll need to see if it's the manifold or the riser. Stand the manifold on end hose side down and fill the water jacket up to the top (elbow flange end).

Take a close look inside the elbow near the two plug holes I mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 11:02am
So what do you guys think? Are we looking for two problems? Could that much water possibly get into the oil from the leaky manifold?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 11:37am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

So what do you guys think? Are we looking for two problems? Could that much water possibly get into the oil from the leaky manifold?

This question is really still up in the air!! Just as Lunciano said, it's hard to imagine you'd get that much water past the rings. However, I have no idea how much water it really takes to turn oil as milky as you found yours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Good you have the bolts loose. Try running them out against the elbow to the point where they start "jacking" against the elbow. Don't put too much pressure on them. You don't want to damage the aluminum threads is possible (they may not be in decent shape now). Then go at it with a putty knife. Then a wood chisel. If you damage ether face no big deal because I'd say they are going to need refacing anyway.

David, This is great advise and in a perfect world will work BUT I've taken a set of H/M's apart that looked about as bad as yours do and do yourself a favor and drop them off at a machine shop that is better equiped to do this job. I tried everything above but what happens is even if you get the putty knife between the riser and the manifold they will still not want to come apart because the bolts are corroded in the flange holes.

I ended up cutting mine off and then had to drill and ez out the studs out of the manifolds, on some of them that still didn't work so I had to step up my drill sizes and then run a tap down the holes . It all worked out fine but you will spend hours on them and make a bigger mess of them than you can imagine. If you don't have the tools this is a big PITA.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 12:52pm

This question is really still up in the air!! Just as Lunciano said, it's hard to imagine you'd get that much water past the rings. However, I have no idea how much water it really takes to turn oil as milky as you found yours.

Hum....    Should I pull some more parts off or fix the exhaust and see what happens? I like the idea of borrowing another manifold but I don't know anyone. Might have to give Ryan's buddies a call.

Just thinking out loud here.....
Perhaps the manifold has been leaking for a while, giving me some starting problems as some have mentioned. I did have to open up the throttle to start after sitting on Sunday's trip. I figured I just did not have the carb tuned in yet.

Maybe the overheating compounded the problem to the point where much more water got into the cylinder. If I shut the boat down and it happens that that cylinders exhaust valve is open then the water could have pooled into the cylinder. Again, not knowing if it's enough to milkshake the oil.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 12:55pm
[/QUOTE]

David, This is great advise and in a perfect world will work BUT I've taken a set of H/M's apart that looked about as bad as yours do and do yourself a favor and drop them off at a machine shop that is better equiped to do this job. I tried everything above but what happens is even if you get the putty knife between the riser and the manifold they will still not want to come apart because the bolts are corroded in the flange holes.

I ended up cutting mine off and then had to drill and ez out the studs out of the manifolds, on some of them that still didn't work so I had to step up my drill sizes and then run a tap down the holes . It all worked out fine but you will spend hours on them and make a bigger mess of them than you can imagine. If you don't have the tools this is a big PITA.

[/QUOTE]

Good point. Is there a lip between these too joints are is it a simple butt joint?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 1:01pm

[/QUOTE]

Good point. Is there a lip between these too joints are is it a simple butt joint?[/QUOTE]

butt joint
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 1:33pm

[Hum....    Should I pull some more parts off or fix the exhaust and see what happens?

Well, that's really up to you, you could repair the manifold (if repairable) and test again, if it doesnt go well, start tearing into the manifold and head.

If you happen to take the head out, you should consider checking the valves and seats for that cylinder, since they worked on heat and water they could have suffered and may go out anytime. I was lucky enough to have a valve seat fall and go out through the exhaust, but a broken piece of metal could really make a mess in there.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 1:34pm
Alan,

I looked back at an old post of mine and found a pic you posted.

My post was about a leak at this joint. Don't know if that has anything to do with my issue now.

I also found some post back in 2007 stating that H/M was recasting these manifolds. Does anyone know if this ever came to be?

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 1:53pm
David,
I haven't heard anything more about them remaking/casting manifolds. The last I heard was they were running into some manufacturing writes issues preventing them from proceeding. I think it was Reid that commented on that.

I happen to be a firm believer in Kano labs Kroil/AeroKroil It's been around for years!! I have never found anything to compare to it. My current project with the Flexifour needed lots of it! If you've been following the thread, remember it was totally locked up and felt it was under water for some time, not drained and then left out in someones back yard. In desperation, I ran and got a can of PB Blaster because some swear by the stuff. Nothing!! I then ordered some Kroil (it's only available direct by phone or on line), got it, sprayed it down the cylinders and was able to break the pistons out of the bores!! The PB Blaster I ended up using as a honing lubricate when I did the block bores. That's all I feel it's worth. BTW, it's more expensive than the Kroil!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 2:10pm
Thanks Pete, just might order some. Good to have around.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 2:28pm
vondy reading again... I have my serious doubts you performed the leak test correctly...

I will suggest again... you lay the manifold over as it is positioned in the boat (front slightly up, runners down) and send pressurised water in it through the water inlet.
it's a 5 minutes test all you need is a garden hose held by hand.

This way we'll make sure you are not opening the exhausts for nothing.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

vondy reading again... I have my serious doubts you performed the leak test correctly...

I will suggest again... you lay the manifold over as it is positioned in the boat (front slightly up, runners down) and send pressurised water in it through the water inlet.
it's a 5 minutes test all you need is a garden hose held by hand.

This way we'll make sure you are not opening the exhausts for nothing.

Your saying with the risers facing down right? I did not do that. I did 79's way. I'm not sure how water could be getting into the exhaust chamber without me having a leak of some sort.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 3:05pm
if you overfilled, water from the riser would have passed over and into the fumes chamber. Maybe you did it right, maybe you didnt.

the leak could be anywhere inside the manifold inner sleeve, it is because of the engines angled position on the boat that water exits through the 4th runner, If you find you have a leak, after you pull the riser apart, you try 79's method and visualize where it's happening.

So again, place the manifold horizontally or slightly angled with the front up and the runners down (as in the boat) feed it with a garden hose through the water inlet and watch for water coming out ANY of the runners. Do it somwhere you dont mind the water coming off the back.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 3:27pm
Here's a rough illustration of what I did. Even if some water at the riser exit pooled over, it would have been a lot to make it back up the riser and into the manifold. I slowly filled it, no pressure, and stopped when I saw it crest at the upside-down riser exit. And it was full of water, not just a trickle.

So my guess is there's either a crack in there or the gasket between the riser and manifold is completely blown out internally.

Either way, I have dug enough of the gasket out trying to separate that I don't think there is any turning back.

Keep it coming guys. And tell me if I'm doing anything wrong in these procedures.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:06pm
If your illustration is correct it's not the #4 cylinder it's either #1 or #5 depending on the side you pulled it off of.

get the halfs separated, plug the endlet hoss, stand it on end and carefully pour water down the jacket if you see any water in the center exhaust section they are cracked, don't need pressurized water to find that out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:11pm

David,
It sounds like you did the water test correctly as long as you didn't get the water high enough for it to enter the exhaust cavity via the ports in the riser elbow. These are the holes between the water jacket and the exhaust side where water enters the exhaust stream. It's why Chris told you to raise the riser elbow end higher.

Seeing your sketch, just as Luciano, I too am now worried that you didn't get water into the exhaust side per the above. Look down into the elbow if you haven't already. You'll see the ports. That's were you do not want to get the water level high enough for it to enter the exhaust side.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:42pm
79, water would come out of all of the ports if i tilted it just right. It just came out of 1 first because it was the lowest. The number 4 cylinder was the wet one.

Maybe I am not explaining what I did correctly. Or perhaps I am just not understanding you all. So here is an updated illustration of how I thinking this thing works. The orange area being the exhaust passage where no water should be. Tell me if I am correct.

If I'm thinking correctly, the water enters the front and does not exit until it gets to the very end of the riser. So if I fill the water jacket up to the end of the riser, without going over into the exhaust passage, then there should be no water in the exhaust passage unless I have a leak. Right?

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 5:07pm
yes that is true you should leave it about 1/4" short, just make sure that it didn't spill over the wall from water pressure as it was being filled, but if your getting a steady stream going out you should be able to see the level go down as your looking in to the riser's opening and at some point it should stop leaking once the water level matches the cracks level, so try driing it out and if more water keeps coming out then you have a leak internal to the manifold.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 5:23pm
There was really no pressure. I used a funnel and slowly filled it, watching the exit until the water approached, but did not go over.

I assume the other method would do me no good now that I have started to pry the pieces apart? So once I get them apart I'll test each half.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

If your illustration is correct it's not the #4 cylinder it's either #1 or #5 depending on the side you pulled it off of.

get the halfs separated, plug the endlet hoss, stand it on end and carefully pour water down the jacket if you see any water in the center exhaust section they are cracked, don't need pressurized water to find that out.

keep in mind that once water gets in the exhaust chamber it will exit the manifold through the lowest runner, in the engine it's number 4, but in the bench it could be any depending on how vondy placed it for testing.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 7:18pm
My brother, dad and I are trying to get this thing apart. No luck. Seems as though there is a "rabbit" or lip in the joint rather than a butt joint.

We read and old post where someone mentioned the PCM manual listing the top 10 reasons water get into the oil and cracked exhaust manifold was number 1.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 9:16pm

We read and old post where someone mentioned the PCM manual listing the top 10 reasons water get into the oil and cracked exhaust manifold was number 1.

I think we all really hope it is just that...
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 10:20pm
We have a mechanic friend here who says water will get right passed the rings and it only takes a bit to milkshake. Thats what he says at least.

Still no luck getting it apart. Probably going to a machine shop.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 10:52pm

We have a mechanic friend here who says water will get right passed the rings and it only takes a bit to milkshake. Thats what he says at least.

are you trying to convince us or yourself?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic