NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 16>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 8:16pm
Dave,
As long as your surfaces are machined up clean, I'd go with the 1/16". That's what I bought for all around gaskets for the Flexifour project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 11:24am
Well the Kroil would not free them up so I finally broke out the hack saw. Sure enough, a leak about half way down.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 11:50am
David,
The eroded burnt through area is where its expected to be which is opposite the exhaust inlet port. As mentioned, with the loss of cooling it doesn't take much to do the job on aluminum manifolds. I suspect the other 3 areas are eroded as well.

New manifolds or sending them out for repair will be the next step.

Sorry the Kroil didn't work but at least you now have it for other projects.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 12:43pm
I'm sure I'll find plenty of good uses for the Kroil.

I sent an email off to your guys at Crow to enquirer about price and time line. I suspect the location of the crack is unreachable to the typical welder?

Now, before I spend money on repairs I guess I need to think about a few things like....

Is the cost of the repair worth repairing or do I spend money on new ones, or find some good used ones?

Do I check out the rest of the engine before I spend any money at all on the manifold? I can always pull the intake without any real money loss.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 3:01pm
Got a quote from Crow for $75 to do a full evaluation. Probably $500 to fix if doable.

Guess I'll start looking for some used ones. Might have to find some used PCMs in the meantime. That is if the rest of the engine checks out. I think it's time to pull the intake.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 3:44pm
I would wait on the intake, it was fine until it got hot.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I would wait on the intake, it was fine until it got hot.

hum.....

The intake may not have been fine until it got hot because the first time I used it was when it got hot. I was thinking about pulling it, if it's obvious that it's the problem then there's a good chance that plus the manifold are the only two problems. If it's not obvious then the problem might be deeper. At that point I may not want to spend the money on the manifold.

I'll do a little more searching before I pull it, maybe I can come across a used exhaust manifold on the cheap to test her out with.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 4:14pm
you ran it in the drive long before you but it in the water, and if the oil looked good before the on water test then I doubt the intake is an issue.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 9:44pm
It would be a matter of how much time he ran it on dry, I think he didnt even gave it time to warm up. Dont you think?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 1:24am
Dave get on here and ask if someone has any,someone just sold a pair for 100.00. Would not hurt to ask
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Dave get on here and ask if someone has any,someone just sold a pair for 100.00. Would not hurt to ask

That's a good idea Gary. I've been calling around town, all I can find in the used market so far is Mercruiser manifolds.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 3:08am
These look quite a bit different than mine. Wonder if they would work?

HM
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 4:25am
I don't think those would be any issue to mount up. The worst could be a different length of hose to the fronts, and the back, but I bet that the old hoses would reach.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 9:07am
Dave,
I spotted those manifolds on ebay too. They may have come off a H/M engine but are not the same. They look more like Edlebrocks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 10:57am
Dave! good luck finding a set. those things are rare as chicken teeth about a year ago i bought 2 perfect sets of H M manifolds for 900 bucks off part for sale off CC fan. If you cant find a pair let me know. I have a set that have been repaired on the outside and been pressure tested to 15 psi I would let go, if ya want to take a chance. Jeff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:10am
Definitely not the same. I do have a lead on some. Contacted the guy selling that previously mentioned HM engine on ebay. He claims to have some. BTW, he wants $2,500 for that engine. Sounds a bit steep to me.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Dave! good luck finding a set. those things are rare as chicken teeth about a year ago i bought 2 perfect sets of H M manifolds for 900 bucks off part for sale off CC fan. If you cant find a pair let me know. I have a set that have been repaired on the outside and been pressure tested to 15 psi I would let go, if ya want to take a chance. Jeff

Just sent you an email Jeff.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 4:01am
Sorry Dave! just got your message, give me a ring 269 506 1249 Jeff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:08pm
I will be getting a pair of HM manifolds soon thanks to Jeff here!

My plan is to replace the bad one, change the oil and filter, let her run and see what happens. If there is still water in the oil I'll pull the intake, which will hopefully be the problem, and replace the gasket, RTV, making sure everything is done correctly.

Looking for a few opinions.

I'm thinking about just replacing the known cracked manifold for now. Any reason I should not put both on?

I'll be reusing my risers. The one I have removed is somewhat roughed up from removing it from the manifold. Can I get away with filing out any rough spots and using a thick gasket? Or do I really need to get it machined a this point?

Do I need a new manifold gasket to the heads?

Any idea the torque specs for the bolts?

Thanks guys!
Shooting to have this baby up and running by July 4th.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:50pm
David,
I would put both manifolds on you're getting from Jeff. With the loss of cooling water and the burn through on the one side, you don't want to take the chance that the other side is ready to go as well.

When you get the manifolds, take a look at the mating surface condition (riser elbows too). Then take a flat file to them and see how well they clean up.
EDIT: Besides the gaskets, I'd get some Permatex non hardening #2 "form-a-gasket" on both sides. I would not use RTV on them.

Considering the cost is pretty low on engine/manifold gaskets, I'd go with new ones.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 10:46pm
Pete I just got in some of this ARAMID/BUNA-N GASKET. Any hints on cutting this stuff? I've never messed with it before and was surprised to find "floor tiles". I can imagine making a template and using a drill and exacto to cut.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 10:59pm
David,
The outside is easy with a scissors but inside holes get harder the smaller they get. For round holes for bolts a gasket/leather punch works great but in a pinch, get a small pipe nipple. 3/8 pipe works for 3/8 bolts great. Grind the end to a sharp edge, place the gasket on a block of wood, center the pipe nipple over the hole you want to punch and wack it!!! Now, you have the oval shaped water jacket holes - I'd hole punch the ends and then cut hole to hole with the scissors. Clean up on rough inside edges I use a small sanding drum in the Dremel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:00am
Great ideas Pete!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 12:02pm
David,
With the exception of the outside of the gasket, all the holes inside can't be traced. You're going to have to get the kid's compass out and do some layout work! Lay out one, cut it and if it fits then use it as a template for the second.

Are you going to change out both manifolds right away?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 11:34am
I guess I'll change the bad one first and see how deep the problem goes. Then if all is well, change the other.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 1:27pm
Thought I would keep y'all updated.

I'm at a standstill again. Never received the manifolds Jeff was going to send me and I can't seem to get a hold of him. Not bad-mouthing him mind you, he could be out of the country or something for all I know.

I was shooting for getting the Mustang back on the water by the 4th. Not sure where to go from here. Do I spend $500 to have the Crow guy restore the cracked one? That sounds OK but what if the problem is deeper, then I just spent $500 on one manifold I can't use. And for that price it almost makes sense to buy two new ones, but them they would not be the cool HM ones.

This guy still has these for sale,
manifolds
I asked him for more info and pics. They do look like Edelbrocks but the logo on top almost looks like it says HM. Not even sure if they would work. Don't know how much he wants for them either. He asked me what I would give for them.

Anyway, before I would spend $500 or more on manifolds I would pop off that intake and hope it's the water in oil problem. If it looks OK then I would probably not spend any real money on manifolds for fear of deeper problems.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 9:07pm
Any idea if these would work for a temp solution?

Glenwood
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 11:39pm
Don't see why not.Not sure how the water hooks up,there must be another fitting on that front cover. Pete would know how to connect them up. New ones are $640.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 12:10am
That would be a nice cheap solution if they would work. I can't see why they wouldn't work either, unless they are too wide or something.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 3:16am
These have relisted as well.
HM
They are apparently HM.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 16>
  Share Topic