NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Question?
    Posted: May-03-2010 at 11:34am
I took the boat out yesterday for the first time this year. It ran perfect except for when came into the cove and we were idling around waiting for a dock space it acted like it was loading up. When you put it into gear it would stumble and try to die (and did twice), but when I put it in neutral I could clean it out but it didnt act like it was loaded up. What should I have the idle set at? I also wanted to know if anyone has used an Edelbrock carb on a boat? We use these on our hot rods and they work perfect.   Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 11:54am
I'm not a technical/mechanical expert but I will share that my 76 tique with a 305 OMC came to me with an Edelbrock 600 cfm. (not factory...someone added it along the way) I like it. I find it to be much less fussy than the holley on my prior boat. I am not one to tear into things, but I have torn into this to clean it up...the innards are much simpler.

The 600 cfm marine model is No. 1409.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:17pm
Unless that carb is very level, it will run like azz.

And stick with the marine stuff, you don't want to explain to your guests how you saved $100 too bad their face is burned off.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by rman56 rman56 wrote:

I took the boat out yesterday for the first time this year. It ran perfect except for when came into the cove and we were idling around waiting for a dock space it acted like it was loading up. When you put it into gear it would stumble and try to die (and did twice), but when I put it in neutral I could clean it out but it didnt act like it was loaded up. What should I have the idle set at? I also wanted to know if anyone has used an Edelbrock carb on a boat? We use these on our hot rods and they work perfect.   Thanks

I wouldn't get excited about just yet, you most likely have a little water or bad gas left in the tank, run this tank out and add a tank of premium next time and see if it goes away, idle should be about 600-650 in gear.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:12pm
I thought of that after the fact there could be a little something in the fuel. It has been a long winter! Iam going to take it out again and put new gas in it before we do anything.
1983 Ski Nautique
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 3:00am
If you are running a Holly it sounds like a leaking power valve.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 11:45am
Yes still running the original Holley
1983 Ski Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 3:17pm
Ours was being kind of like that...we had a carb rebuild done and also had the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced. Exhaust was leaking through those and coming back up into the carb, or so the mech said. It runs like a fuel injected motor now.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 4:38pm
I never thought of checking the manifold gaskets. I guess that could cause that. I may start with a carb re-build and go from there. Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 4:48pm

I never thought of checking the manifold gaskets. I guess that could cause that. I may start with a carb re-build and go from there. Thanks

I would suggest you try a fresh tank of gas before you start messing around with the carb and everything else creating problems. Going in blindly isn't the smartest of approaches for a very minor common complaint first time out after a lay up.

An exhaust leak isn't going to cause this type of problem, you would have to have a huge hole in the manifold blowing directly into the carb for this to be a problem, beside you will hear an exhaust leak and smell an exhaust leak too so unless you hear one or smell one leave it alone. Now if you want to start running in cirlces like a dog does ...... you can.... but I would wait.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 4:55pm
Well good point, I dont want to make a simple fix turn into having a bad summer at the lake!
1983 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 4:58pm

Well good point, I dont want to make a simple fix turn into having a bad summer at the lake!

smart choice
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 5:08pm
+1 on what 79 said. You may want to make sure the choke is turning off all the way.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 5:10pm
Yep agreed with the fuel thing first. Didn't mean to tell you to change the gaskets right away, if that's what it sounded like, Sorry! We also put a new electronic choke job on our carb during the re-build. Could have helped as well...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 5:16pm
I will also check that too. Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 5:19pm
Where I am we dont get much cold weather in the summer, so you really dont need much choke activity. The stock setting tends to keep the choke on too long for me, so I have it turned down a couple of notches. I just wish it had a little more idle during warm up, but all the Holley marines I have seen do not have a choke fast idle adjustment. I guess that is for some safety reason.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 6:55pm
I been told that the choke is open at first when cold, then once the boat heats up the choke closes.
Hey Chris, the top of the carb, you can take the top of the carb off to see in there.You will see fuel correct. How much do you want to see in there? I bet with my little problem, my boat is getting to much fuel when it is hot. The hard cranking problem. We will see Wednesday, I am heading to the lake then.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I been told that the choke is open at first when cold, then once the boat heats up the choke closes.

Must be why yours is so fast!
Greg

86 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Tuffy!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 8:12pm
That has nothing to do with speed.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 9:04pm

LMAO

skicat 2001, no it's just the opposite, closed when coldopen when hot
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

LMAO

Well Lee, are you bringing that fast boat to GL or not?? I'd like to see you run with the big boys!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

LMAO

Well Lee, are you bringing that fast boat to GL or not?? I'd like to see you run with the big boys!!

I never said I was the fastest boat,you guys need to listen.I just said mine runs with best of them. Which could mean that not the 454's or the one's that have dumped lots of time and money in there's. Not bigger heads, and all that fancy ***************. But for a bone stock 351, mine is very healthy. I am not that stupid to even think of saying some of these Nautiques on here, that I can out run them. I know I get laughed at. I have a good mechanic in Austin that is a friend of mine, and knows my boat in and out.He has told me many times that it is one of the best looking and running Natiques he services.
I am so sorry guys you meet a very confident person. All I want to do is fit in on here.I am not a mechanic, or very mechanical. If it involves some nuts and bolts, and a little muscle, well I am in. I love boats, I grew up on direct inboard boats, and love mine dearly.It is my first one, as I can see some of you guys are die hards and own several generation CC.I am think you guys are great, but damb, can I get some help when I ask a question. Instead of being bad mouthed and cut down. If not, that is fine, I can take my Nautique problems and enjoyment elsewhere. I do not want too, this is the best site. I hope we can all get along and one day we will all get to sit down and drink a cold one and talk CC.

Lee
"SkiCat 2001"
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2010 at 11:58pm
Well Lee from being around here for a while, I can tell you coming on here being cocky not confident will get you where you are here today. All of the guys here are great to help out, but when you open the door to get hammered like you have, look out. Relax, ask questions, give opinions, have a great time, just loose some of the my d__k is bigger than your d__k attitude & learn from some of the best resources of Correct Crafts around (not me by the way). Now, if you make it over to Atlanta I will let you buy the first round!   
Greg

86 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 12:58am

Well Lee from being around here for a while, I can tell you coming on here being cocky not confident will get you where you are here today. All of the guys here are great to help out, but when you open the door to get hammered like you have, look out. Relax, ask questions, give opinions, have a great time, just loose some of the my d__k is bigger than your d__k attitude & learn from some of the best resources of Correct Crafts around (not me by the way). Now, if you make it over to Atlanta I will let you buy the first round!   

Sounds great! I will be more on the humble side and enjoy yalls company. I apologize ski for the comment, some people just think they know it all. Hey, no prob on the drink, I have family in Meritta GA, and go to Lake Lanierr all the time. Long as you drink coors light..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 8:56am
Oh no, another Coors lite drinker. Lee, we'll have to get you together with HW!!

Regarding you're getting upset with some of our comments, maybe we should have used some more of the emoticons however, Greg said it very well. Also, you are not the first person to come on site, start talking about how fast there boat is and then get worked over.

Regarding that race. We would never expect you to run agaist a boat that's had mods done to it. It would be a equal hull and engine just for your education. BTW, those boats you've run and end up looking at your transom, what are they? Equal or Rowboats?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 10:57am
Do you get an "open container" ticket with a Coors light?
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 12:59pm
Did I miss something here? How did this post turn into a pissing match?
Bottom line is if you have a Holly and its running rich first check the Power valve if its good check the float level. As for speed my 89 351 does 42 mph and the 08 350 does 39 mph both are stock. Definitely not the fastest but more than enough for all the water sports we do.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 1:33pm

I never said I was the fastest. I just dump lots of money in big and fancy bone, mine is very healthy. I am not that stupid to even think of saying I get laughed at.

I am so sorry guys you meet a very confident person. All I want to do is fit in a mechanic. If it involves some nuts, and a little muscle, well I am in. I love mine dearly. It is my first one, as I can see some of you guys are die hards and think you guys are great, but damb, can I get some mouth and enjoyment. I do want too, this is the best site. I hope we can all get down and drink a cold one and talk CC.

I don't typically talk CCs when I'm gettin' down, drink cold ones yeah.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:08pm
Ryan,

You might pour in a can of Seafoam too. That stuff seems to work pretty good to clean things out a bit.

Sheesh, y'all are harsh sometimes ;-)

And, what's wrong with CL?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic