NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Did I miss something here? How did this post turn into a pissing match?

Michael,
You did miss something! You haven't been paying attention! Lee's been making some statements about other boats owners always seeing his transom because his boat is so fast. Then when the small minor detail of his choke not working came up, the comment was made "tongue in cheek" about that being the reason for the speedy boat!!!

Pissing match? I don't see it that way. It was just some poking on the speed subject and explained as such. You know how the speed subject gets here!! I feel Lee understands that now as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 3:06pm
I might try the Seafoam to clean it out. I was talking to DIM and he thought I need the change the filter in the fuel canister. Thats the one thing I didnt even think of. Thanks Ryan
1983 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by rman56 rman56 wrote:

I might try the Seafoam to clean it out. I was talking to DIM and he thought I need the change the filter in the fuel canister. Thats the one thing I didnt even think of. Thanks Ryan

if your refering to the fuel and water seperator then yes that needs done as well.
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 8:46pm
Since owning my boat I have never considered it a speed boat. 12 year old kids around here fly past you at 65+ on their jet ski's. The mere 42ish is laughable compared to them. In my eyes 75+ if fast on the water. Aren't theses tow boats by the way?
87' 2001
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 5:37pm
Hey thanks guys! No pissing match, this all for ***************s and giggles. My little problem I think of the hard starting when hot is from not being tuned. I think one or maybe more our not firing properly. Wires may corrode through sitting over time. Which cause miss fire and and takes a full charged battery to the limit. But my boat runs real good out of the hole, and top end, just couple niches in the starting. I get it worked out.

It is a "open" ticket anytime on that coors light..

We talking speed for fun, can I cheat then? Can I borrow my friends Baja 332 with twin 502's, supercharged. He run up there about 80+..   
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 5:41pm

Stay away from all that additive stuff my friend. I have been told, Seafoam, Marvel Mystery, All the carb junk by STP, or the all the other brands to pour in your gas tank will mess a 4 barrel carb in no time. The only stuff I have been told to pour in there is 89 octance gas, and Stabile and that is it.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 5:54pm
Thanks for the heads up!
1983 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Stay away from all that additive stuff my friend. I have been told, Seafoam, Marvel Mystery, All the carb junk by STP, or the all the other brands to pour in your gas tank will mess a 4 barrel carb in no time. The only stuff I have been told to pour in there is 89 octance gas, and Stabile and that is it.

Lee,
You have been told but no first hand experience!! I've been around for a little more time that you have and do have the first hand experience. While I generally agree that additives are not needed and should be avoided, that's not the case with the Marvel and the Seafoam. They happen to be the only two "snake oils" I strongly believe in. BTW, You being so young, you may not have even heard the term "snake oil"!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 6:18pm
IMO, I would start with the basics...timing points, plugs wires etc. Cheap fuel will also cause hard starts. If you are running low octane you may need to turn down the timing a bit to compensate. Be methodical about the process to avoid shooting in the dark.most folks just start turning screws without checking the basics.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 6:21pm
The last half tank was 87 octane, is that too low for these boats?
1983 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 7:01pm

The last half tank was 87 octane, is that too low for these boats?

Yes sir, I ran for the first 3.5 yrs with 87 and got a carb prob from it. I been told run the middle grade works wonders, and keeps the carb running alot cleaner, doesnt gum up as much..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lee,
You have been told but no first hand experience!! I've been around for a little more time that you have and do have the first hand experience. While I generally agree that additives are not needed and should be avoided, that's not the case with the Marvel and the Seafoam. They happen to be the only two "snake oils" I strongly believe in. BTW, You being so young, you may not have even heard the term "snake oil"!!!

Pete,
So you like the snake oils.. Those make the internal parts of your boat run hotter, and eventually you will hear pings, and noise probs. I been told by some old guys and young guys to stay away. I have a bottle of Seafoam in the garage, thinking of using it to give itt a try if you think it will help.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

IMO, I would start with the basics...timing points, plugs wires etc. Cheap fuel will also cause hard starts. If you are running low octane you may need to turn down the timing a bit to compensate. Be methodical about the process to avoid shooting in the dark.most folks just start turning screws without checking the basics.

I think hard starts comme from those probs. I had my boat tuned in 07, and have learned now that it is a 2 year job. I think those points, condesor and wires, plus your timing get way off..

What screw is that is bronze and very little for a flathead screwdriver right underneath the carb?
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 7:51pm
Our 1200 hour 351 has run the exact same way for the last 800 hours we have owned it. Only 1 plug change and rotor change, and 1 carb rebuild for the sake of speed, didn't happen though. Oh, and I replaced the impeller after the first 400 hrs because someone gave me one (that was already 10 years old). A little SeaFoam over the 4 month winter layup is the only "additive" she gets.

Pete, I just used some Snake oil last weekend!

I been told by some old guys and young guys to stay away.

So what is prompting you to now want to use this snake oil? With the right concentration of SeaFoam and aviation fuel, you will break 50 mph!

I have a bottle of Seafoam in the garage, thinking of using it to give itt a try if you think it will help.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 7:52pm
the secondaries throttle stop adjustment screw?
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 7:57pm
I think for starters I will fill the rest up with 89 and see if it helps. Where do you buy Snakeoil?
1983 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

the secondaries throttle stop adjustment screw?

What is it's primary function?
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 10:19pm

I think for starters I will fill the rest up with 89 and see if it helps. Where do you buy Snakeoil?

Stick with 89, you will see a big difference. Main parts will not where out as quick. You will see a difference at the pump but that is about it..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Our 1200 hour 351 has run the exact same way for the last 800 hours we have owned it. Only 1 plug change and rotor change, and 1 carb rebuild for the sake of speed, didn't happen though. Oh, and I replaced the impeller after the first 400 hrs because someone gave me one (that was already 10 years old). A little SeaFoam over the 4 month winter layup is the only "additive" she gets.

Pete, I just used some Snake oil last weekend!

[QUOTE=skicat2001]   
I been told by some old guys and young guys to stay away.

So what is prompting you to now want to use this snake oil? With the right concentration of SeaFoam and aviation fuel, you will break 50 mph!

Hollywood I like you and but that wuz wrong..
Seafoam i am going to give it try. You old timers know your stuff so I better listen..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 10:36pm
it is to prevent the carb screens from sticking into the bores
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 10:55pm

Hey thanks.. So where is the idle adjustment. Is it hard to do.. I would like to adjust mine about 200rpm
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 11:08pm
Also says on this Seafoam can that you can pour it into the oil? Is that right.. Wow! I might have to add one more to my repertoire..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 1:19am

Hey thanks.. So where is the idle adjustment. Is it hard to do.. I would like to adjust mine about 200rpm

Listen, no offense, but if you are having trouble figuring out the idle screw, I would suggest doing some reading on Holley carbs and familiarize yourself before you start adjusting. Go to Youtube and type in Holley carb adjustment. You should come up with some videos from Holley that walk you through adjusting a carb properly. Here is a link for idle speed:

holley
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 2:35pm

Also says on this Seafoam can that you can pour it into the oil? Is that right.. Wow! I might have to add one more to my repertoire..

If your about due for an oil change then add some and run it for the week-end and change the oil and filter otherwise don't add it to your oil.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Listen, no offense, but if you are having trouble figuring out the idle screw, I would suggest doing some reading on Holley carbs and familiarize yourself before you start adjusting. Go to Youtube and type in Holley carb adjustment. You should come up with some videos from Holley that walk you through adjusting a carb properly. Here is a link for idle speed:

holley

Thanks Ernest.. Watched that video great stuff.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

If your about due for an oil change then add some and run it for the week-end and change the oil and filter otherwise don't add it to your oil.

Chris I am not due yet. But I will pour that seafoam in the gas tank next time I get gas.. Curious if how it will do..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:23pm
pour half the can through the carb with the engie running increase the rpm to about 2000-2500k as your pouring it in and keep up the rpms until all the smoke clears from the exhaust, then pour the rest of the can in the tank now you cleand the top-end of the engine and the rest in the tank will take care of the carb internally.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:32pm
Specify "can" because the Murray's by me only carries it by the gallon!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:45pm
Seafoam is sold in 16 oz can at O-reilly's
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

pour half the can through the carb with the engie running increase the rpm to about 2000-2500k as your pouring it in and keep up the rpms until all the smoke clears from the exhaust, then pour the rest of the can in the tank now you cleand the top-end of the engine and the rest in the tank will take care of the carb internally.

Chris,
Ok, so take the wing nut off the top of carb, pour inside and the rest go in the tank. After watching the video on adjustin the idle, does it need to be in gear, or do I need to pull out the neutral pin while adjusting the idle.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic