Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tmacdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Change
    Posted: May-06-2010 at 4:19pm
I have a 98 Ski Nautique with a a GT-40 engine and am planning on doing a oil change. I looked in the owners manual on this site and it says to use 40w/40 oil in the engine. That seems like very heavy oil. Is that what everyone typically runs in this engine?
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 5:05pm
86 PCM 351 and I use Rotella T 15W-40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by tmacdonald tmacdonald wrote:

I have a 98 Ski Nautique with a a GT-40 engine and am planning on doing a oil change. I looked in the owners manual on this site and it says to use 40w/40 oil in the engine. That seems like very heavy oil. Is that what everyone typically runs in this engine?

Trevor,
You're just used to the colder climates and running thinner weight oils!

Nothing wrong with running a staight 40 but we have lots here that run a multi weight such as Valvolene racing 20-50. The most important thing over the weight is to use a oil that's got high ZDDP content to protect your flat tappet engine. Valvolene Racing (silver bottle) and Rotella T straight weights have it. The new oils do not have the ZDDP. I run the Racing 20-50 in all my boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 8:44pm
The multi-vis rotellas don't have the extra ZDDP according to some exhaustive research posted on this forum in the past. I've used the rotellaT straight 30w for the past 3 years with no problem. But, they've changed their packaging this year and are calling the straight weights "T1" or something like that. It may be the same with the higher ZDDP, it may not. Shell's website is not clear as to what's going on, so I'm planning to switch to the valvoline vr1 after this year. Mobil 1 also has a multi-vis specifically marketed with higher wear protection (ZDDP), I think it's the 15-50. I've never used that and am unaware of anyone else using it, but mobil touts it on their website.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 1:35pm
My boat is a '93 Sport with the Pro Boss, 351 HO carbed.
Bought the boat three years ago from original owner. Owners manual says 40w. Called the original dealer for recommendation after I had a difficult time finding the 40w (I now know where to look). Dealer said to use 10w30 and add STP to it.
Pete, any thoughts on that?
I will probably switch to the VR1 next oil change after taking your recommendation.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 2:39pm
The STP is supposed to have the ZDDP additive in it and there are other additives that put the zinc in as well. The STP is the cheapest so I wonder how much zddp it adds.....with the other additives (about $10/treatment), it seems like you are better off just spending a little extra and using the VR1 to begin with. The only issue with VR1 could be finding the viscosity you want. In the boat, I run the 20w-50 without problems but some other engines/applications may not handle the thicker stuff as well.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 12:33pm
VR1 is half off at auto zone now $2 a quart
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

VR1 is half off at auto zone now $2 a quart

geez that´s a steal!! I pay $11 here for that precious liquid
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SKI NH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKI NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 3:44am
I don't feel too sorry for you. I've been to Argentina and seen your women!
SKI NH
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 6:29pm
I have converted over to VR1 now, with the autozone promotion, I bought 2 cases so I will be VR1 for at least 3-4 years. Haven't changed yet, but debating changing again just to go with the VR1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic