NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 in the Diaries

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 in the Diaries
    Posted: May-10-2010 at 4:40am
Has the fiberglass pan trailer. Looks like it would be a nice project.

$1100 in the diaries.

1980 in diaries with pan trailer

BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 10:33am
I thought the same thing! That would be a nice snag.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 11:14am
Yes, I would love to have the trailer. Too bad it is so far from me.

Donald
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 11:34am
Hell, thats damn near in my back yard. Just e few minutes from the house. I can go by there take a look / pictures if someone was interested?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 11:56am
That would be a good start to a v-drive conversion. Wife or another boat? Another boat may be cheaper...
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

That would be a good start to a v-drive conversion.

what the hell are you smoking? better lay off of it while you have a brain cell left.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 2:51pm
....keep it original
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 3:02pm
Why do I get the feeling there maybe a few parts missing since the photo.

If I had a spare grand laying around, I'd be headed to Fort Worth.

AT
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 3:05pm
No offense 79, but I was very intrigued by formandfunction?'s v-drive conversion. I was just kidding to see what type of response that would get from some of the purists. I wouldn't think of doing it to my '90, but I'd love to be part of a big customization project like that.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 3:18pm
Nice...
how much the trailer it self..probably close to 1k..so the boat its actually for free...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 3:46pm
How's that collection coming along Pete?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 3:56pm
Talk to owner, he said some guy from Georga has made him an offer but.......If someone wants me go go by there and take some photos, I'm about 20 minutes away.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 3:58pm
Wasn't Me! Better check with BuffaloBFN,Jimsport or clarkebar. Any you guys headed out west?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 4:02pm
Said his name was Stan.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:24am
Heres how smart I am...had one of those trailers under my '78...hated it...could not get under the boat to wax the bottom. Was so glad to get rid of it when I bought my '81 from my brother. Sure wish I had that trailer back now...especially after I saw what Alan made his look like.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 11:15am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

what the hell are you smoking? better lay off of it while you have a brain cell left.

Just curious why you had that reaction Chris. I realize its not original and all that, but I think the two v-drive conversions we've seen have been pretty cool projects.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Just curious why you had that reaction Chris. I realize its not original and all that, but I think the two v-drive conversions we've seen have been pretty cool projects.

Cool is in the eye of the beholder.

Speaking of VDs, Larry you guys didn't cover up that wreck too well. I saw it 2 weeks ago and it looks worse than ever.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 1:47pm
Chris can speak for himself.

I did have the thought myself that this particular setup would not be a good candidate for converting to a V-Drive. I have my doubts that the 1980 hull would make a good VDrive. Potentially, it could be very fast in a straight line, but I would guess it would handle poorly, and I don't think it would be very good for skiing or wakeboarding in a VDrive configuration.

Also, there would be a lot of fabrication involved moving that fiberglass pan around to accomodate the axle move on the trailer.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 2:28pm
Well, most here know me well enough to know I had the same reaction to the V drive conversion!!! Not on a classic boat like that. I'd rather see someone start with a Bayliner I/O!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 3:25pm
what is a v drive conversion not a I/O and not a shaft like mine? whats the purpose and advantage disadvantage
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

what is a v drive conversion not a I/O and not a shaft like mine? whats the purpose and advantage disadvantage

Peter,

A couple of guys have taken their 2001s and turned them into v-drives, like the newer, bigger wakeboard boats: engines turned around, slid to the back, shaft goes out toward the front, through a v-drive and then out the normal place.

Form and function is wrapping up his project, long thread on it here and a fellow who goes by 84 resto did the first one, documented on "the2001" site. Advantages? You would have to ask them, but I guess they are going for the larger v-drive wake for wakeboarding, plus it makes for better use of space in the boat. Top one is 84resto's bottom one is form&functions.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 3:55pm
nothing like screwing up a good boat, good luck selling it one day, value goes to zero after the conversion.

just not worth the time and effort to redo the stringers, relocate gas tank and destroy the boat's value, oh and the pylon sticking up like that really cool if your a tool I guess, but POS comes to mind for me.

better use of space? being on top of each other now, guess they're midgets too. Butt ugly IMHO and a waiste of money that you'll never get back out of it.
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 4:00pm
Chris,

Tell us what you really think.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 4:08pm
Well then my suggestion to you Chris, would be to not do it. However, maybe its what these guys wanted to do for themselves, and didnt mind spending the time and money doing what they wanted to do for themselves. Maybe they didn't do it to sell it, maybe they did it to use it. I don't think its that much different than guys making hot rods out of 30's or 40's vintage cars or chopping a motor cycle.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 4:11pm
or George Barris turning a Corvette or a GTO into a station wagon...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

or George Barris turning a Corvette or a GTO into a station wagon...

and did you see how little money he got for those customs at Barrett-Jackson? And how much more the 30's and 40's resto mod's sold for? three four five times higher? Class and taste isn't something everyone has or this example either.

to each there own, if their happy great, hope it turmed out the way they wanted, just not my cup of tea. Weather they want to or not I feel they will be holding on to the boat for quite some time or will be taking a hugh loss to unload it, then again maybe 75 can bail them out and be stuck with it.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:05pm
I'm still a fan of good ol customization. There are many cars/boats that I've seen customized and appreciated, even if I would never do the same thing to my own property. Here is a perfect example of something I would never think of doing to my own boat. Camo Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:12pm

... just not my cup of tea. ... then again maybe 75 can bail them out and be stuck with it.

Didn't say it was or wasn't my cup of tea...just saying everyone here is entitled to have their own tea however they want it without having someone tell them they can't have their tea that way, or that they are wrong, stupid or bad for having their tea that way...which is different from saying I don't care to have my tea that way...big difference, one that is overlooked around here on ocassion.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:13pm

nothing like screwing up a good boat, good luck selling it one day, value goes to zero after the conversion.

just not worth the time and effort to redo the stringers, relocate gas tank and destroy the boat's value, oh and the pylon sticking up like that really cool if your a tool I guess, but POS comes to mind for me.

better use of space? being on top of each other now, guess they're midgets too. Butt ugly IMHO and a waiste of money that you'll never get back out of it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 5:16pm
Customizing brings too much personal taste into it and most don't have the eye or creativity to pull it off and end up in left field like these three examples, nothing like turning a good design into a piece of junk because they are color blind and have no style or taste for what really looks good, If done right yes a real head turning can be made but everyone's not a Chip Foose or a designer either and that makes all of the difference and what works and doesn't work, and the 70's and 80's hulls are just too narrow to be a v-drive and look good well unless you like the trailer park look or don't care how stupid it comes across to others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic