NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring harness

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tutor turtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tutor turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring harness
    Posted: May-17-2010 at 12:51pm
On my 1983 2001, the 8-way engine harness plug appears to be getting flakey. I am seeing a 2 to 3 volt difference between the battery level and everything after this connector, including the ignition and dashboard.

If I cycle the connection, I can get everything working for a while.

It looks to be a major project to replace the whole wiring harness, is there anything that can bring the contacts back to life?
Tutor turtle
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:30pm
Steven,
To avoid you having to go through the whole thread, I just copied and pasted the following from a recent post.

"Post Options Post Reply
Quote 8122pbrainard
Edit Post   Quote Reply Posted: 13-May-2010 at 10:52am
Originally posted by grose

no power to the dash problem fixed. after a lot of testing, all it took was unplugging the wiring harness on the back of the engine an plugging it back in. just a loose connection. unplugged again and took a small screwdriver into the female end and closed them up just a little to get a tighter fit and we're good to go.

Greg,
I highly recommend to go after this connector again in fact, any connectors and terminals. The last one I opened up was on my Tique due to a voltage drop issue. I found nothing but green (copper oxide) inside. By cleaning all the plugs and the connections up, I eliminated 1.3 volts of power drop. Get inside each female socket with some "scotch brite" rolled up or use a small wire brush on a Dremel tool until all the corrosion is gone. Then and very important is to use dielectric grease when you put them back together. I have seen these plugs literally burnt up due to corrosion/resistance and the resulting heat."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tutor turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:52pm
Thanks brainard, I figured someone had to have seen this before and had a low-cost solution.

I've cleaned the male contacts, but the sockets are gunked-up and (as the previous poster noted) a little over-expanded. It looks as much of a poor grip issue as a corrosion one. But it's nice to know it's fixable.

This should do the trick, thanks again.
Tutor turtle
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:36pm
I fought the same problem for years, voltage drop at the plug/socket. I went cheap for a while, cleaning contacts, etc., then bought a bunch of proper marine grade wire and did everything point to point about 2 years ago. No problems since.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tutor turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 3:45pm
That is certainly is the surest solution.

I was thinking along the same lines, my only reservation to that solution is: Can you think of any instance where I would need the "modularity" of being able to separate the harness?

The only thing I could think of was, If I had to remove the motor (a very unlikely event) in which case I would ether label the individual wires, or disconnect them at their source/destination.

What gauge are those conductors? I'll have to gather my stock before I leave home, the boat lives two hours north, up in Gods country, where the few stores that do exist, have little useful stock for ski-boats.

Am I missing anything?

I have a friend who works for Chrysler. They employed a Hall-Effect sensor for the throttle position, whose output was in the micro-volt range. No matter how clean the connector looked, it only took a little resistance to alter the reading and cause drivability issues. The TSB (technical service bulletin) specified: snip off the connector, solder the wires. It worked every time.

Much Thanks-
Steven M
Tutor turtle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic