Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pressure 318 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chuck Arney View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Arney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pressure 318 Chrysler
    Posted: May-29-2005 at 10:10pm
We've had our '68 SN out three times now. It has a 1968 318 Chrysler. I changed the oil and filter before we took it out the first time. Oil level is good on the dip stick. Oil pressure is fine when the boat is up and running, but when you bring her back down to idle speed the gauge maxes out on the high end. I took off again and the gauge went back to normal. This pattern repeated itself everytime. Any thoughts?
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2005 at 12:00am
Generally the oil pressure sender is at fault when this happens. At low pressure it has a short. At a cold idle, the oil pressure is higher due to thicker oil. Ive changed a few with exact symtoms.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 8:59am
Put on a mechanical guage and check to be sure, oil pressure should be at least 10 lbs for every thousand RPM. Good oil should stay the same pressure after running hard or slow. I use 15-50 Mobil 1 and it nevers change for hours and hours.
Most straight weight oils wil drop and not hold   good pressure after hard running. However if your engine has excessive bearing wear, rods, mains or cam and or pump nothing will stay constant.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic