NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

76 Mustang or Classic CC Needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 76 Mustang or Classic CC Needed
    Posted: May-21-2010 at 5:20pm
Hey guys.Helping out a friend.He's looking at a 76 Mustang with a 305,and a 12 x 14 prop. He says it idles and runs fine, just doesn't get over 3500 rpms.
I told him it's overpropped. He says it does have some stringer rot.
It's at a local marina here,some of you might notice the marina,but the kicker is they want over $5k for the boat.
Any thoughts?

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 5:24pm
looks real clean to me, sure it's a 305? bet it's a 302 ford motor. BTW the boats been painted too, notice the strips are not orginal should be outlined and they are solid, bet the hull has been painted too and wasn't wet sanded or re-gelkoted.

Stringer rot, 2k plus to fix it, so have them fix it, then give them the asking price.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 5:40pm
While it is a nice looking boat, especially the interior. I would say $5K is over-priced, particulary with the known stringer issue. With that, and if you could verify that with a new prop it would do ~4400 rpm, I would say $3500, but, again, thats just my opinion. May be worth more to someone else.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 6:03pm
Chris,
I'm just wondering why you feel it's got the Ford and not the GM engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 6:34pm
My 76' Tique had a 305 Chebbie..

Marty, such a shame to partially restore the boat and leave the guts a mess... To bad. Unfortunately $5K with stringer issues does sound a bit steep. Nothing over 4G I'd say only because it really does look nice..

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 7:40pm
"some" stringer rot is stringer rot. Of course the seller is going to down play it. Surely it could be over propped, but that's an easy thing to check.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 7:52pm
If the boat still has the original Teleflex MK-27 Tachometer in it, That could very well be the 3500RPM problem.

PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 11:14pm
Marty, If it is a prop isuue, the marina should be able to put the proper prop on it and then take it out and see if the boat performs as it should. Then you have the stringer rot, as Chris stated probably 2K to fix. You should probably have him take his time looking at this one and really see what he will be getting in to. They are asking over 5K and even though it looks nice; look it over very closely before jumping on it. It seems high for an older boat that you know will need some major repairs.John.
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 12:48am
Marty,just joined the forum, thanks again for all your kindness and the phone call this afternoon. My quest has begun for a classic CC

kent
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 12:50am
I'm saying 305 as the distributor is located at the back of the engine, not the front
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 12:53am
Thanks to all for the reply All guages look original, including the speedo which showed about 33-34 mph at 3500 RPMs
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 1:58am
OK guys- go easy on 'the Lake Rat'. He's a newbie, and in the market for a Classic CC-just to ride around in and enjoy. No skiing ,tubing,boarding,etc., just riding in style with the top down.
So if ya got any markers available or know of an available boat ,let him know.
Let's welcome Kent into the CCFan family,and yes it's a small world, turns out he's like 2cd cousin's with my son-in-law,Brent Yates--and the real kicker--He lives beside the owner of that 65 Sportsman!
I told ya'll I had an ace-in-the-hole .
The quest has begun---Eric Clarke get your checkbook out
66 Skylark
93 SN
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 11:01am
What ever happened with the 65 sportsman?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 11:53am
Gary smith, aka Farmer, had a restored boat like that for sale awhile ago. You ought to chech that one out.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 9:49pm
Kent,
I'm glad you found us. I'm also happy to hear that Marty called and did the "up close and personal" welcome. I know you'll find a boat but it's great we're involved to get you any extra help.

The Mustang above sure looks pretty but it may be only "skin" deep. Some more investigation is needed. Somethings going on with the low RPM. Yes, the prop pitch may be on the steep side but it's unknown until a accurate engine RPM is determined. Just like Al said, the old Teleflex's weren't the greatest!! The marina should get a shop tach on it plus that GM should realty crank!!

Since you've talked with Marty, I'm sure he filled you in about the good old wooden stringer problem!!! Still, feel free to ask any stringer questions (our any other questions!!).

One last thing, Marty asked the guys to be gentile. Well, it's well known that one of our members Chris (79nautique) can be rather "abrupt" with newbees so if he goes after you, I'll drive over to Indiana and have a word with him!! I sure wouldn't want to get physical because his arms are thicker than my neck!!    He's cool just doesn't come across that way at times!!
Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 10:33pm
Peter,

Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad I found CCF, I know just enough about these boats to be dangerous (to myself and my pocket book!)

I'm looking for a nice classic CC that I can use and care for for many years.

So if anyone here can offer advice, however how blunt, I will be grateful.

Marty has been great and I know we will hook up down at the local lake in which my family has had a cabin for over the last 40 yrs.

Now that I've decided to add a cc to the family, I'm excited to find just the right one.

I'm not feeling good about the 76 I've looked at, seems the dealer selling it lacks knowledge and doesn't seem interested in addressing the problems I've already noticed. I think I will continue my search and not snap up the first one I see.

I do love the look of this boat, seductive for sure.
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 12:18am
Kent

I'm sure the dealer knows whats going on with the boat. They are just looking for an uninformed buyer. It is a sharp looking boat to the untrained eye.

David
86 Martinique
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 1:21am

Someone once told me, you will find the right boat in due time.
Or the boat will find you.   "Waiting on the Doc"

That's how I bought my 72 Mustang,   one year ago next weekend.

Welcome to the site..

Dave
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 11:13am
maybe all the water down in wont let you get over 3500 rpms, that, and the engines a little tired???? i know or knew, well know a group of guy's that changed the height of the bootstripe so the Coasties wouldnt know they were carrying a heavy load...
"the things you own will start to own you"
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:00pm
Well guys, called Kent up today, told him to meet me at his Badin Lake Bungalow, and we'd go for a ride in the 66 Skylark.

Man you'd think it was his birthday today
We had a nice day for a boat ride and talk. He'll probably get on here later and tell ya all about it,

Gotta Go LOST is fixing to come on!

Marty Mabe
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:47pm

66 Skylark
93 SN
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:41am
Marty,

Great meeting you and the Mabe clan down at the pond this afternoon, the Skylark is sweet and a special thanks for letting be behind the wheel.

We will certinly get together and throw something on the grill this summer, hate I was running short on time today ugh!

Thanks again! and my quest for my cc continues.

Kent
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 11:15am
Oh, Before any-one asks, No that isn't his place, Just saw it on the Lake and had to snap a pic
66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 11:18am
Marty,

Is that your new lake house!!!!!!!!!

Donald
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 11:31am
Oh NO
Those rocks are neat- but are Fake. They're HUGE!!!!

It's a shame too,that any new developing property there can't build a boat-house, not unless it was there allready, but then it still has to be approved and some have been turned down, so they just let there's rot down.Also new law from the Alcoa people, all sides had too be taken off your boat house, just incase of a fire so the fire-boats could see what they're fighting.
Million dollar homes down there with no boat house. On the water that is.
66 Skylark
93 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic