Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Runs Perfect for 45 Minutes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Runs Perfect for 45 Minutes
    Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:06pm
After about 45 minutes running, my 1973 Nautique with a 351 sputters and then dies and will not start back up. This happens every time the boat goes out. I believe this has been a problem for years, however, I haven't noticed it much, since it is usually run for about half an hour at a time. The fuel pump recently quit working and I had it replaced. I was hoping the new fuel pump would solve the problem. When it breaks down, I usually get it back to shore. After about a half an hour, it starts back up and runs normal again. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could direct me on how to troubleshoot.
mma3447
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 10:29pm
All I can say is check the plugs, carb, spark, ETC... Maybee the fuelfilter needs to be changed. Once the debree and sediments have setteled over a period of time, MAYBEE it takes that about of time to clog the carb, jets! who know.     Trial & Era
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 10:15am
definitely check the anti-siphon valve on top of the fuel tank, take apart and clean
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:47pm
mount the coil vertically and don't have it laying on it's side.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

definitely check the anti-siphon valve on top of the fuel tank, take apart and clean

I guess that this is your issue. My 78 did pretty much what you describe and it's anti siphon valve was full of crap.

For me the problem got progressively worse every year I had it until I cleaned the valve out. At that point I had already swapped heads, intake and all that assuming my issue was a gasket leak or some other issue.

I tried a new fuel pump and that didn't correct the issue either. If it can't get gas to it, it won't matter if the pump is good.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 3:01pm
I will definitely check the anti siphon valve. Thanks.
mma3447
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by mma3447 mma3447 wrote:

I will definitely check the anti siphon valve. Thanks.

after you find out this isn't the issue and the problem occurs again, put you hand on the coil and tell me how hot it feels, try not to get burned. Then I explain to you your problem.
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:00am
Thanks for the advise regarding the coil. I will check it out this weekend.
mma3447
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:43am
I'm voting on the coil as well, had a similar problem 3 years ago with another boat. We would run down to pick up a friend, and once he got in the boat like clock work it would start running poorly, turned out to be a bad coil.
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 9:26pm
It took about an hour before breaking down. The coil was burning hot. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and started back up and it ran fine for the five minute trip to my dock. How do I fix?
mma3447
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:21pm
New coil, but I'm sure there will be some further explanation as to why and I curious as well.
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:34pm
I replaced the coil once before. It may have been five years ago, though. I see that some other boats have a bracket that keeps it a little further away from the engine. Should I consider doing something like this. Or maybe, a high performance coil?
mma3447
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:41pm
Well, definitely don't get an Accel brand coil. Those are junk. I had one in my martinique and it totally crapped out after about a year or so.

This really does sound liek a coil issue, especially if it runs fine all through the rev rang until it stops running.

Try pullinga plug wire and put a spare or known good plug on that wire and cround it to the block. if it still sparks after the boat won't re start, then it's not in your ignition.

I just mounted my MSD coil vertically because the original coil bracket that held it horizontally broke. I was able to bend the old bracket straight and use a hose clamp to secure it pretty much straight up and down.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 12:06am
I will give it a try. Thanks.
mma3447
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 10:35pm
79, would an Accel 8140 coil work fine without the resistor on a Prestolite convertion?

The spec for the 8140 are:
Primary resistance: 1.4 ohms.
Secondary resistance: 9.2 k ohms.
Maximum voltage: 42 k volts.

Picture that instructions are confusing for many of you, how they are confusing for us foreigners.

I get a tach miss from time to time since the convertion. I feel something in the electrical system is not right. Also coil started leaking.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 12:53am
I have an Accel coil and it's about 10 years old. It's the coil they make with a gel instead of oil, it's made for high vibration and heat. I haven't had any problems with it.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

mount the coil vertically and don't have it laying on it's side.

HHHHMMMMM Why and who would have ever predicted the coil was the issue.

Most coils are oil filled, lay them on there side the windings get exposed internally, that section gets hot expands, contracts expands contracts and then it breaks.

Get a epoxy filled coil no issues. If you shake your coil and hear fluid moving you need to mount it vertically.

If you have to mount it horizontally then the tower end should be tilted up as much as possible so the air pocket internally is not exposing the windings internally and the coils life will be much longer if you do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

79, would an Accel 8140 coil work fine without the resistor on a Prestolite convertion?

The spec for the 8140 are:
Primary resistance: 1.4 ohms.
Secondary resistance: 9.2 k ohms.
Maximum voltage: 42 k volts.

Picture that instructions are confusing for many of you, how they are confusing for us foreigners.

I get a tach miss from time to time since the convertion. I feel something in the electrical system is not right. Also coil started leaking.

should work fine.

I used this coil on mine

another very good choice to use

beyond those they're all pretty much the same.

FYI my buddy Mark uses the MSD coil listed above on his dyno'd 800hp+ 542's in his Nortec.
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 6:32pm
I am a little lost with this tech talk about coils. So, correct me if I am wrong. If it is determined that the coil is my problem, which can be confirmed by the spark plug wire test described earlier, the easiest fix would be to replace with a gel or epoxy filled coil that can handle higher heat. I am guessing that the thicker viscosity will also keep the windings covered when the coil is installed horizontally. This sounds easier than replacing with an oil filled coil and figuring out a way to mount vertically. Am I on the right track? If so, it sounds like an Accel 8140 coil could work for my 73'. However, how can I determine which coils will work? Which would be the best coil to use for this application?   
mma3447
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 6:39pm
I would just a get a new mounting bracket at a local autoparts store and mount you current coil vertically and spend less than ten bucks to fix you proplem and I don't recommend the 8140 coil for marine use.
mma3447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mma3447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 6:43pm
OK. Thanks.
mma3447
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 6:46pm
gringrit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gringrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2010 at 5:10pm
My setup has an Accel 8140 with no ballast resistor also. The fella I bought it from did not connect the purple wire from the voltage regulator to anything. Is this correct?
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 2:54pm
It has been awhile and I forgot my username/password. I mounted the coil vertically and run for about 20 minutes. Shut down completely and has not started since. Getting fuel to the carb. No spark coming from the coil. Tried two coils. Confirmed that the low voltage wires that connect to the terminals on the coil are supplying 12 volts. This is a 73' with a 351. The points have been replaced with a breakerless conversion. It appears that the breakerless conversion is not telling the coil to fire. Does this sound correct? How can I determine if the breakerless conversion is "bad"?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

How can I determine if the breakerless conversion is "bad"?

Ground the (-) coil wire & then see if the coil produces a spark when you unground it. That's all the points or breakerless circuits do.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic