Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling System Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooling System Questions
    Posted: May-26-2010 at 12:16am
I have several questions pertaining to the cooling system on a '95 SN, PCM 351.

1) Engine has a Sherwood RWP. I replaced the impeller over the weekend, but had a hell of a time getting the impeller off the RWP shaft. The old impeller was in good shape, I just replaced as part of routine maintenance. I ended up clamping the pump/pulley assembly and going at the impeller with adjustable pliers for some time before I finally got it off. Are there any tricks to making this job easier? Is there anything that I can do to make the next imeller replacement easier, i.e. is the shaft or impeller bore supposed to be lubricated or anything, and if so with what?

2) After impeller replacement, I started the boat using the "suck water from a 5 gallon bucket" method, NOT direct connect to a garden hose. I let engine idle. I noticed a water leak in the 1" ID hose that runs between the trans. cooler and RWP (1"x4', PCM P/N R045004 that runs from the left rear of engine to right front). I found a hole in the hose, but what I don't understand is that it was more than a leak, water was spraying out of the hole. I mention again that I used the suck from a bucket method and that this hose is on the suction side of the RWP. When re-installing the RWP, I thought I may have installed it backwards, as it can be easily reversed, but according to the manual and from what I can tell, I have the RWP cam installed on the correct side. It was pulling water from the bucket as expected.

Why would water be spraying out on the suction side of the hose? If anything, shouldn't the RWP be sucking air from the hole, instead of spraying water out? What is going on here?

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 2:25am
I do believe you have everything hooked up correctly. I'm not sure if the pressure inside the supply hose could possibly be higher than the atmospheric pressure??? Common sense would think it would suck air, but there may be some type of physics here that we don't understand. If it's sucking water fine, and your getting ideal temp conditions, just take it as magic...
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 1:22pm
your diagram just doesnt look quite correct, unless im wrong i put one blind on a boat with the same rotation but the inlet and outlet flipped 180, you could be right, I wont know till i fire the boat
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 1:35pm
I believe he has it correct. Mine is that way. Also, I looked at TRBenj's pics on his motor upgrade and his is the same way as well.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 2:04pm
the diagram is wrong, get your Physics book out you tools

if your thought is that it flows straight then the diagram is ?

if your thought the flow goes up and around then out the diagram is ?

So which one is correct?
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 2:42pm
I would say this drawing is accurate. Water flows around, then the fins are compressed against the cam, forcing the water out the top.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the diagram is wrong, get your Physics book out you tools
if your thought is that it flows straight then the diagram is ?
if your thought the flow goes up and around then out the diagram is ?
So which one is correct?

??????
How a rubber impeller pump works by Depco pump

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:40pm
I knew you would find a diagram for them Pete
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:44pm
79, you need to get yourself a new map.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

79, you need to get yourself a new map.

Josh,
Just a map? I was thinking more in line of a new physics book he mentioned!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 5:21pm
Map was a reference to the physics book. That was a line from the movie Tommy Boy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

Map was a reference to the physics book. That was a line from the movie Tommy Boy.

Sorry but I didn't see the movie so I didn't catch on! In fact, I don't remember the last movie I went out to see. I'm ether too cheap or frugal and wait until they hit one of the movie channels!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 6:04pm
I highly recommend you rent Tommy Boy. I'm sure someone you know has a copy. I've seen it a bunch of times, and every time is as funny as the first.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 1:41pm
water tested last night and everything was fine    I bought a new hose but did not install yet   I duct taped the heck out of the original one   my diagram is correct with flow in around and out, not straight through that is what my engine manual seemed to indicate and was confirmed by the Depco pump info   I have a physics book for sale if anyone is in the market for one      thanks for the feedback guys

I would still be interested in knowing if anyone has any advice on impeller removal and techniques for re-installation to make the next removal easier, or is it just a bear each and every time around?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 5:55pm
Haha, I think engineers are stereotypically the cheapest individuals you can find. I find that while I am extremely cheap, when I do actually spend money, it's usually on a big ticket item. My spending pattern is more like a step function, instead of a linear one.

I have seen Tommy Boy though, and I agree it's a good one.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic