NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring an old boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring an old boat
    Posted: June-02-2010 at 6:22pm
I want to add a bilge pump to our Mustang. Currently all the original wiring is hooked up and appears to work. There is a wiring harness off the engine to the gauge panel. There are no fuses or a ground bar. Rather than mess with the old wiring, I am planning on running a 12g wire from the battery to a small fuse panel that I will mount under the deck. Does this sound like a good idea and how do I set up a ground?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 6:40pm
so you currently don't have a bilge pump correct? seems odd thought all mustang models had one. If it currently has one then just use those wires. Now if there isn't one then I would just use an inline fuse holder to the circuit, tap the pos off the back of the motor and then ground through the dash's ground curcuit.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 6:52pm
Bilge pumps were optional on the old boats. Hard to believe no one ever added one during the past 40 years, but they didn't. Seems like all the grounds go to the back of the tach, (there's only 3 gauges and the running lights). When you say back of motor, would that be the solinoid?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 6:59pm
or the breaker
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 3:34pm
I'm actually thinking about rewiring my mustang, any ideas as to where i can get a wiring diagram, would be especially helpful for the dash, because it's a mess behind it.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 4:42pm
I have a hand drawn one that I could scan and email to you this weekend. Mine was a mess, also.   I used the original wire harness and a Blue Sea fuse box to run everything through. Attached it to the back of the dash on the passenger side. It includes ignition, volt gauge(not amp), oil pressure, fuel, water temp, tach, bilge pump, lights, blower, and heater switch.   

Let me know.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 5:08pm
or they could just go to the self serve line and download the files from the reference section of this site, it has all the information you'll ever need to re-wire the engine or dashes.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 10:13pm
There aint no download files for the old boats. That would be too easy.

Wakeslayer, I don't know if I'd own a boat without an amp gauge. Why'd you go with volts?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 11:13pm
It's inside the 1968 interceptor manual.   May have a slight variation on tracer colors.   But, basically all there.

AT
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2010 at 9:31am
Thanks, Al. There's a number of different diagrams for the dash and one that looks close to mine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

There aint no download files for the old boats. That would be too easy.

if you actually read the manual you might find the information on page 22 of the PDF file if you did
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2010 at 11:35am
Page 20 has a good diagram that gives me a basic idea. I've got a 66 boat with a 64 engine and was looking in it yellow Interceptor manual. No exageration, I have read than manual 500 times.

Simple question for verification. It looks like for the fuel gauge I can hook into the positive side of the ignition so that the gauge switches on when the key is turned on, and for the bilge pump I can hook onto the battery side of the ignition with a fuse?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2010 at 11:58am
the bilge should be hot all the time regardless of the key postion as well as your lights, It's a good idea to use a float switch with the bilge pump as well. All of your gauges you'll want to wire to the ignition/run side of the key switch, less amp meter if you use one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic