Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Carb Gurus

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all Carb Gurus
    Posted: June-04-2010 at 11:00pm
Hi Guys, trying to decide whether to rebuild my current carb or spring for a new one. RH PCM 302 rebuilt by previous owner with an automotive block. Boat idles fine, runs ok at WOT (45mph on speedo), but has an intermittent miss in between 1800-2500 rpm and is lousy out of the hole. Occasionally sneezes and stumbles on hard acceleration.

Was going to rebuild but checked the list number on the Holley carb - LIST-6407. It appears to me after some googleing that this is not a marine carb. It is 450cfm. Not sure about jetting. Not sure what makes a marine carb vs automotive. So I figured I would post up some pics. Do you guys think this sucker is worth a rebuild? Skidim doesn't list a rebuild kit for this list #. Any ideas on what would work?

Thanks!!
Tom

YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2010 at 11:33pm
I'm no guru, but I'm guessing the guys are gonna whip ya for using this in your boat.

I'd definitely start saving for a remanufactured marine carb.
87' 2001
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2010 at 11:55pm
I hear you...feel free to burn me on the carb, but I can't take the blame, it was installed by the PO...

Found a couple of 450cfm marine holleys on Ebay for less than Skidim:

New 450cfm from Summit $509

Rebuilt Holley 450cfm for $250

The rebuilt one is an attractive price. What do you guys think?

I can see after looking at some marine carb pics that my carb is missing the j-tubes. What else am I missing? Is it possible/worth it to convert this carb to marine?

Thanks!!
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 12:01am
Marine versions don't have floats that can be adjusted externally, certainly an automotive carb you have there. The marine carbs have a few extra seals and gaskets that the auto doesn't. Mainly to prevent you from exploding.
Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 3:13pm
I got a rebuilt marine carb last year from National Carburetor via Ebay. It looked like a new carb when I pulled it from the box and performs flawlessly. I would recommend them!
Brian
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 12:59am
Thanks Brian! I ordered up the carb from National (via Ebay). Got it for $239 + shipping. Supposed to arrive this Friday. I'll post up some pics and a review once I get her bolted up. Hoping this cures my issues.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 10:12am
I just did an older Holley, it looked identical with adjustable floats and straight overflow tubes like yours, It had a Merc Tag on it so i know it was marine, I ordered the kit thru Merc and it included the secondary diaphram and the "adjustable floats"
so yes, that is a mrine carb
"the things you own will start to own you"
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 10:49am
I thought the only difference in Auto vs Marine on most carbs was the vent tubes. The marine being "J" shaped and the auto being straight up.

Is there any truth to that statement Eric? or do you know of other differences?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

Marine versions don't have floats that can be adjusted externally,

Not true. While most model holley's tend to not have external float adjust, it is not a mandate, and some brand new holley marine carbs can still be bought with external adjustments.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Chris4x4gill2 Chris4x4gill2 wrote:

I thought the only difference in Auto vs Marine on most carbs was the vent tubes. The marine being "J" shaped and the auto being straight up.

Is there any truth to that statement Eric? or do you know of other differences?

No. the throttle shafts are sealed to keep fuel from seeping externally under flooding conditions.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

Marine versions don't have floats that can be adjusted externally,

Not true. While most model holley's tend to not have external float adjust, it is not a mandate, and some brand new holley marine carbs can still be bought with external adjustments.

Yes, this is correct. Some older marine carbs have externally adjustable floats. I wasn't aware that some new ones have the external adjustments again. I just looked at Holleys site. looks like the 850 cfm ones do, and maybe others.
http://www.holley.com/types/Marine%204%20Bbl%20Performance.asp

J tubes, and extra seals that non marine ones don't have on the shafts are the main differences.

J tubes can be bought at DIM, I've not seen these anywhere else. That base plate is something that I've never seen for sale separately, at least not a marine one with the seals.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 1:45pm
Also, any 'universal' holley will never run the same as the application specific marine carb. The marine carbs and medium duty truck carbs, are designed internally for managing the best combustion temps and power under sustained high loads.

Therefore the PVCo's behind the PV are sized to be exacty 50% of the main jet size to deliver 25% more fuel under high load, for stoiciometrically correct a/f ratio under different conditions.

The PVCO's on the universal carb are way too big to keep amature hotrodders from fragging their engines and blaming holley. Thats one reason why they belch black when they stomp on it.

With a universal carb you can change jets all day and it wil still run like azz. Plus risk getting blown up.

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 2:40pm
This boat being a 76, that carb without the J tubes may be the original!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 2:09am
Hmmm, very interesting reading guys. Thanks for all the responses! I bolted up the new carb (from National) and put about 6 hours on the boat yesterday. Still having major issues. The top end is vastly improved but the boat now dies completely when you punch it.
She idles great, and if you throttle up slowly runs up to about 1500rpm, then sputters and runs erratically up to about 2000. If you punch it at 2000 rpm, she screams up to 4000+ and 40+ mph easily. Accel pump seems to be shooting ok.
Have checked timing, set at 10 ATDC at idle. Advance does not seem to move at all until about 2000 rpm, and then creeps up about 15 degrees. I am thinking distributor is the issue now. Can these be taken apart and cleaned up, or should I just look into a new one.
Or do you guys still think I have carb issues? The only mystery to me on this new carb is that it has a tube that comes out above the secondary diaphragm, labeled "return to fuel pump". Not sure what that is all about, I have it capped off.
The new carb does have j-tubes and non-adjustable floats. BTW I now have a (possibly original?) Holley for sale!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 2:34am
Any idea how many hours are on the boat? I would try cleaning and lubing your existing dizzy first. Im not sure how accessible the advance is?

I had the same problem with my 64...depending on how quick you gave it gas, the advance would sometimes hang up. I was able to lightly spray lube on it. Then kept working it back and forth. worked for me.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 2:40am
The other thing I just noticed... your timing is at 10 ATDC? .. dont know a thing about the Ford...but,seems a little late? should it be somewhere BEFORE TDC?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 10:47am
Thanks 62, your response got me to take another look at the timing. I discovered that my engine has a LH harmonic balancer on it! There were no marks to the left of TDC on the balancer (looking at the front of the engine), so I was in fact set at 10 ATDC. I measured an equal distance to the left of TDC and set the timing there. Not sure how to check total advance now. If I get some timing tape, is there anything special I need to know to get the marks in the right spot?

Also cleaned up and lubed the distributor advance. Ran the boat for 6 hours yesterday. Boat runs considerably better, but still dies on hard acceleration. I also did some fooling around with the accel pump cam and set it to shoot earlier. No real difference seen.

I am still thinking the problem is ignition related. The boat also now has an intermittent miss at 2000rpm or so, which is the same thing it was doing before I replaced the carb. I didn't notice that before I readjusted the timing. Not sure if it is related. I am going to triple check the firing order. Any other ideas?? Thanks guys!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 12:12pm
I'd say your distributer is still compromising your boating experience.

25 degrees total advance is about 13 shy of optimal for a 302. You shoudl be at 25 degrees by around 2000.

Just get a new Mallory, i think you won't regret it.

River Rat to Mole
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 4:52pm
What's the best source for a new distributor? Any opinions? I don't see one on skidim for the RH 302...not sure if I am looking in the right spot. Does anyone else carry these? Thanks!
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 11:44pm
Checked the firing order and it was good. Rechecked and measured timing and looks like I was getting even less advance than I thought. Only about 10 degrees.

Decided to pull the trigger on a YLM512CV Mallory from Summit, after doing a bunch of reading on here. Thanks to 79Nautique, TRBenj and others for all of the comments on other threads, very informative. I was tempted to go for the YLU optical pickup or performancedistributors.com DUI solution, but am feeling a little tapped out on the boat budget after the carb replacement. I can't afford to spend $350-400 on a distributor. Since this motor will be staying stock I just decided to go for the economical solution. Hopefully the advance will be right. Looks like I should have it for the weekend so we will see.

Thanks everyone for the help thus far. I am dying to get this boat running right. Took a ride in Mark Mel's boat last week and it just blew mine away out of the hole. It was like mine was running on 4 cylinders compared to his. Right now I can't even get up behind my boat on a slalom ski    Crossing my fingers this will solve the problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 10:01am
how are your accelerator pump settings, at times there will be a plastic cam on the shaft or the linkage will have holes to lengthen the stroke, you may be set on the low side and not getting the initial blast of fuel needed to shoot the boat out of the hole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 10:02am
sorry, i read thru and see you tried it
have you done a comp test? or taken some vacuum readings?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 11:01pm
Thanks for the response, Eric.

Did a comp test with the engine warm. All eight cyls were within 3 psi of 125. I just got a vacuum gauge tonight, planning on using it to set the idle mixture. From what I read that can help the response off idle. I guess if that is way off it could contribute to this problem? Anything else I can use the vacuum gauge to diagnose?

I did play with the accel pump cam, set it to position "1" as it was in position "2" as shipped from national. I haven't checked out the pump nozzle size yet, or played with a different pump cam. I figure that will come under fine tweaking. The problem I am having now just feels more like ignition. The boat basically acts like you just turned the ignition off if you punch it. But comes up to rpm slowly if you take it easy on the throttle. Throttle response seems good from 2200rpm or so +, jumps up to 4000 and runs quite strong.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 11:07pm
At least the boat is running well enough to get up on my wakeboard:

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 6:39pm
i just found on my boat before changing to a marine edlebrock (runs good)   anyway that being from a truck the floats were set too low for the angle of the motor , I am assuming but makes sense that when i would get it at 2500 rpms it was running out of fuel then again at 4500 appr
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 9:29pm
Well, after replacing the distributor with no change I am back to the carb, specifically the accelerator pump. I tried a simple test on the lake today, opened the motorbox and had my buddy drive and hit it hard. Normally this kills the motor (still doing it today even with new dist and correct advance.)

However, while he hit it I pumped the accel pump linkage hard by hand. The boat blasted out of the hole like she should!!

I did some more fooling around and the boat actually screamed up to speed best if I pumped the accel pump linkage by hand twice quickly, once off idle and one again at 2000 or so rpm.

I am thinking I need a much more aggressive pump shot. I am running a size 25 nozzle(s) and the red cam. Thinking of going to a size 40 nozzle with hollow screw, 50cc pump and hotter cam (brown?). Bigger nozzle to get the shot in earlier (along with the cam), and larger pump size to hopefully keep a long duration on the shot.

What do you guys think? What are people running in terms of nozzles and pumps? Is the stock 30cc pump sufficient on these carbs?

I know this is a drastic change, but what I have right now is not just a stumble, the boat dies completely on acceleration every time if you hit it hard.

Thanks!!
trophyyride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophyyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 2:56am
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

I'm no guru, but I'm guessing the guys are gonna whip ya for using this in your boat.

I'd definitely start saving for a remanufactured marine carb.

I think you should have an educated guess. I whip it just like what you said. And it is effective. :D   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 10:07am
if this helps I commited a sin, pcm 302, some of the problems i recently went thru. 2 firing orders they will run on either, 450 holley, rebuilt it and couldnt get the idle down under 1500    dumped it and put on a weber....
pulled the front cover and the chain was so stretched it was probably a couple of degrees out of time when in time and this was discovered after a fluctuating timing mark and a touch low on vacuum readings.
but the brunt of my problem was the stretched chain, she cracks now.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 10:09am
and btw, you dont need teflon tape on a flare fitting lol
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

pulled the front cover and the chain was so stretched it was probably a couple of degrees out of time when in time and this was discovered after a fluctuating timing mark and a touch low on vacuum readings.
but the brunt of my problem was the stretched chain, she cracks now.....

Eric I get shot down every time I mention a stretched chain on these things but it's not an urban legend. Direct from PCM tech support over 700 hours and it's a posiblilty for low power. I don't know why thats so hard to believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic