Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat running cool

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat running cool
    Posted: June-05-2010 at 9:35pm
How much of an issue is a boat running much cooler than usual? My Ski Tique- since first starting this summer- is running down around 140 or so. The temp holds steady - but it had previously always run around 175-180. What -if any damage could be done at this lower temp? I think the issue may be the thermostat-impeller was recently replaced. However I have no idea where to begin regarding replacing the thermostat. Thanks for any assistance. Mike
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 9:59pm
Old thermostat may have been the wrong one. The thermostat that should be in the engine is a 143 degree.
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 10:16pm
I did not replace the thermostat- It is the impeller that is new. I have no idea if thermostat has ever been replaced-but i wonder now because the boat has run at 175-180 for years- which would be too high if t-stat should be 143- but now is way down to 140 or lower.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 10:36pm
Mike,
The old T stat may be stuck so it's not a bad idea to get a new one in there. The 140 degree is the correct temp for a raw water cooled engine but that doesn't mean they run at that temp. Usually 20 to 30 degrees warmer than the rating of the T stat but that depends on how hard you're pushing the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 10:54pm
How much of a problem is it if the t stat is stuck? Does it need to be replaced immediately- or could it wait? I.E. no use until new one or just watch gauge and be careful until new one. How complicated is it to replace one? Thanks for the help so far. Mike
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2010 at 11:51pm
Mike,
You're really not running that cold. Just on the cool side! Engine efficiency suffers slightly. Replacing the stat is simply opening up the housing, cleaning up the gasket surface, dropping the new stat in and then closing up the housing. 1/2 hour tops.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 12:05am
Sounds like the impeller needed replacing.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 12:50am
Thanks for the help guys! Mike
Link View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Link Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 12:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
The old T stat may be stuck so it's not a bad idea to get a new one in there. The 140 degree is the correct temp for a raw water cooled engine but that doesn't mean they run at that temp. Usually 20 to 30 degrees warmer than the rating of the T stat but that depends on how hard you're pushing the boat.

So if I have a 143 t-stat, it should run 163-173? I always thought 160 was ideal. I've been running 165-170 and thought I was running hot.
1989 Sport Nautique
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 11:38pm
Wax pellet
A car engine thermostat.An automobile operating on an internal combustion engine requires a thermostat to regulate the flow of coolant. This type of thermostat operates mechanically. It makes use of a wax pellet inside a sealed chamber. The wax is solid at low temperatures but as the engine heats up the wax melts and expands. The sealed chamber has an expansion provision that operates a rod which opens a valve when the operating temperature is exceeded. The operating temperature is fixed, but is determined by the specific composition of the wax, so thermostats of this type are available to maintain different temperatures, typically in the range of 70 to 90 °C (160 to 200 °F).

Modern engines are run hot, that is, over 80 °C (180 °F), in order to run more efficiently and to reduce the emission of pollutants. Most thermostats have a small bypass hole to vent any gas that might get into the system (e.g., air introduced during coolant replacement). Modern cooling systems contain a relief valve in the form of a spring-loaded radiator pressure cap, with a tube leading to a partially filled expansion reservoir. Owing to the high temperature, the cooling system will become pressurized to a maximum set by the relief valve. The additional pressure increases the boiling point of the coolant above that which it would be at atmospheric pressure.

pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic