Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Platform
    Posted: July-09-2010 at 10:24pm
no problem. thanks for the pointer. i will get it sanded today. it has not stopped raining all day and right now we are getting hammered.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 10:17am
Sorry Coach but if you sand now you have to wash it again. You can't leave the dust from sanding clogging up the pores of the wood. That's why I use the wide fan on a power washer as my last step. Then let it dry, a little sun is ok but 2 days drying out of the sun is probably ok too. If the joints between the lengths of wood appear dry then the rest of it is.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 1:21am
cool. thanks. does it need to dry in the sun? it has only been able to be in the sun a few hours because of the rain. but it has been drying for 48 hours. is that long enough? then i can sand and oil right?
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:46am
Yes, Sand off the resin. Just the resin try not to remove much wood.

Donald
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:39am
i did take mine off before i started anything. it looks so much better already. i have done three coats of bleach and power washing it off. i do have a couple of spots where i was careless with the resin while i was glassing. i guess i will have to lightly sand them? any suggestions?
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 10:35pm
Pete, Teak oil will stain the gel coat.

At some point someone got some teak oil on my gel coat right near where the platform attaches.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by coach'80 coach'80 wrote:

i am in the process of doing mine right now as well. its hard to let it dry after the pressure washing when it keeps raining.

Randall,
I highly recommend you unscrew the wood from the brackets and bring it inside. Besides getting it to dry out, you'll be able to do a better job of cleaning and oiling around the edges. Also, there have been reports of the teak oil screwing up or staining the gel coat of the boat. You won't have to worry about any masking or having the oil run down the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 9:03pm
i am in the process of doing mine right now as well. its hard to let it dry after the pressure washing when it keeps raining.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 8:00pm
I actually got the stuff from West Marine that comes in 2 bottles. The first is a cleaner/brightener and the second is the oil. After pressure washing it and lightly sanding it, I used the cleaner/brightener and then did 3 coats of oil and it came out looking good. It doesn't look brand new, but it looks much better than it did before! The platform was originally from a 1970's Nautique, if I remember correctly. I hope I don't offend too many people by attaching a platform to a '69.

Jeff
1986 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 10:03am
Originally posted by dstop dstop wrote:

Will it take off varnish type finish?

No as mentioned. Zip Strip or equal then wire brush and pressure wash (not up close at high PSI). You need to get the hard finish out of the pores of the Teak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2010 at 12:50am
Originally posted by dstop dstop wrote:

should I sand it off?

Be careful if you sand. The plateform is assembled with screws. If you sand too much, you will expose the screws. I will expose the sharp end of the screws. Do not use a power sander.

I hope this helps,

Donald
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 9:19am
I don't think it will take off varnish. We had a varnish type on ours that was just about gone so my son just hand sanded the teak first to get that finish off then used the kit to bring it back to life.
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 4:46am
Will it take off varnish type finish?
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2010 at 2:22am
Originally posted by rmm025 rmm025 wrote:

Starbright makes a kit that works prett good has the 3 part cleaner, conditioner, oil, and instructions. I have used on 2 platforms and the results are pretty good.

I have to agree, my son son just purchased the same starbright three part kit and the teak came out looking very nice. Very easy to use and the platform looks awesome again.
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 6:00pm
My platform has some sort of coating on it from the previos owner. what should I do to go back to original ..   can I use a paint stripper? should I sand it off?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Originally posted by grose grose wrote:

rubbing with brass wool between coats of teak is the secret

Ahhhh!

That sounds like a plan.

and a brass wire brush for between the planks.

I also bleach the platform a couple of times on a major refinish as my last step before oil.

I do use a power washer with a wide nozzle setting staying a good distance from the wood so not to gouge it.

Most important thing I've learned is the wood MUST be completely dry before oiling, I usually let mine set a week after cleaning.

Teak care is not a set it and forget it deal, it needs to be touched up through the season.    I usually boat only on the weekends so I let the boat dry for a day, then give the platform a real quick wipe with oil and by the next weekend it's soaked in nice and deep and looks like new. Literally takes a couple of minutes to refresh but it's a must for me.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by grose grose wrote:

Ahhhh!

That sounds like a plan.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
grose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2010 at 12:53am
87' Nautique
67' Skylark
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 12:30am
I found out why you need a wire brush to get the gray sludge off today.

I assumed the teak cleaner would get that off, but no, it does not appear to do that. Last year I tried to simply oil the platform, and that really didn't make it look any better.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 10:06pm
Steve,

I used the Natural and it looks like S$%t !! I got the same color that you described. Yes, I will share the remover once I get some. There is no way I can use the entire can and I will probably not go with sealer again.

I worked six years in the Industrial Hazardous Waste Sales Business. It was many years ago, but I still have a hard time keeping cans of paint that only have a little bit in them. They are hard to dispose of properly. I am not a tree hugger, but I do not want to pour it in the landfill either.

Donald
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 9:57pm
Donald, If the sealer remover works, I'd be happy to take the extra off your hands. I wouldn't want that stuff sitting around cluttering your manshed for years only to go bad. I'll take it from you and put it to good use so you can sleep well at night. Looking out for YOU of course.

I think I'm just going to let mine wear off for the season and not worry about it. At least you used the natural, mine has a very UN-natural orange look to it. It looks like doodoo
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 9:47pm

Clean, brighten and oil.[/QUOTE]

I found out that the teak sealer I used didn't even look good "at first" I hated it from the very beginning. As far as I'm concerned, teak cleaner/brightener/oil is all that I'll ever use again. I applied the teak sealer crap that starbright makes (classic teak) and my platform is the color of buffalo wing induced diahrrea. I hate it and as soon as it wears off, I'm going back to the old school stuff.

My $.02 of course[/QUOTE]

Steve,

I did the same exact thing last spring. I used the NATURAL Teak Sealer. Mine has that mustard color like you described. I hear that the sealer is very hard to remove. I know that Jamestown Distributors sells a Teak Sealer Remover. It is on my too do list to buy some to remove my sealer. They also sell clear Teak Sealer. I am tempted to try the clear sealer, but I will only do it if the sealer stripper works well. Then I can strip it for a second time if I do not like it. I realize that insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results.

Donald
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 12:08am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

People who have varnished/polyurethaned or any other hard sealing type finish on their Teak have found out the hard way it doesn't work. It may look good at first, but in short time it will peel off! Then they are left with a even bigger problem - getting what's left off the teak!!!

Clean, brighten and oil.

Actually, Pete, I found out that the teak sealer I used didn't even look good "at first" I hated it from the very beginning although others on this site have used it and in their minds were happy with it. Sorry for the threadjack, but as far as I'm concerned, teak cleaner/brightener/oil is all that I'll ever use again. Starbright used to make a good kit with all three componenets and although it was a little higher maintenance technique that what I'd hoped for , it worked best in my opinion. I applied the teak sealer crap that starbright makes (classic teak) and my platform is the color of buffalo wing induced diahrrea. I hate it and as soon as it wears off, I'm going back to the old school stuff.

My $.02 of course
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 4:41pm
Hi qualls88!
I live just south of you. I am guessing you go to Lake Martin. Martin is truly a beautiful lake. Anyway, I just clean my teak and when it starts to look a little haggard, I just put teak oil on it. Keeps it looking like new.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 8:26pm
Starbright makes a kit that works prett good has the 3 part cleaner, conditioner, oil, and instructions. I have used on 2 platforms and the results are pretty good.
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 7:30pm
While I agree with you gentlemen about keeping it original, I have to do something to make this boat where we can get in and out of it. I have a 2 year old child and it's hard for my wife to get in and out of the boat and then deal with the child. I didn't come to the decision easily but after spending last summer on the lake, it became apparent that I needed to make it easier on them. I won't go as far as to say that I think it would be a shame to put the platform on. This is the only boat I have and I've got to do what I've got to do. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this. Lord knows I need it!    Thanks again for all of ya'lls advice! This summer will be great!
Jeff
1986 Martinique
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 7:21pm
Pressure washing (with too much pressure)can really lift the grain on teak, opening the pores in the wood and making it get dirty faster. Marine supply stores sell a two part system to clean treat (oil) the teak. The best way to keep it up is to do it more often. Once left to weather it is more of a chore to get it back.
One final tip is to read the directions first.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 11:39am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete is right about the teak oil- but in making his case he somehow forgot to include a "keep it original" comment.

Ill go on the record and say that I think it would be a shame to see a platform installed on a 1st generation Ski Nautique. Platforms did not become an option until the late 70's and look out of place on the older boats, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!

Tim,
I completely missed the boat Jeff has!!

Jeff,
I agree with Tim that a swim platform looks out if place on a 1st generation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 11:00am
Pete is right about the teak oil- but in making his case he somehow forgot to include a "keep it original" comment.

Ill go on the record and say that I think it would be a shame to see a platform installed on a 1st generation Ski Nautique. Platforms did not become an option until the late 70's and look out of place on the older boats, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 9:27pm
Jeff,
I pressure wash mine but not with one of the high PSI washers. I use one of the small electric 1500 PSI units. Yes, a high pressure unit will tear into the wood. I happen to like the job it does. It gets way down into the pores of the wood cleaning out all the gray mold. If it's left in there, the gray comes back quicker. The mold will actually feed on organic teak oils. Try to find a synthetic. The last bottle I got I think was West brand of "golden" teak oil. It will put the color back in from the bleaching/brightening step.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic