NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by coach'80 coach'80 wrote:

i am in the process of doing mine right now as well. its hard to let it dry after the pressure washing when it keeps raining.

Randall,
I highly recommend you unscrew the wood from the brackets and bring it inside. Besides getting it to dry out, you'll be able to do a better job of cleaning and oiling around the edges. Also, there have been reports of the teak oil screwing up or staining the gel coat of the boat. You won't have to worry about any masking or having the oil run down the transom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 10:35pm
Pete, Teak oil will stain the gel coat.

At some point someone got some teak oil on my gel coat right near where the platform attaches.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:39am
i did take mine off before i started anything. it looks so much better already. i have done three coats of bleach and power washing it off. i do have a couple of spots where i was careless with the resin while i was glassing. i guess i will have to lightly sand them? any suggestions?
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:46am
Yes, Sand off the resin. Just the resin try not to remove much wood.

Donald
coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 1:21am
cool. thanks. does it need to dry in the sun? it has only been able to be in the sun a few hours because of the rain. but it has been drying for 48 hours. is that long enough? then i can sand and oil right?
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 10:17am
Sorry Coach but if you sand now you have to wash it again. You can't leave the dust from sanding clogging up the pores of the wood. That's why I use the wide fan on a power washer as my last step. Then let it dry, a little sun is ok but 2 days drying out of the sun is probably ok too. If the joints between the lengths of wood appear dry then the rest of it is.

coach'80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach'80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 10:24pm
no problem. thanks for the pointer. i will get it sanded today. it has not stopped raining all day and right now we are getting hammered.
1980 Ski new project
1994 Ski (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic