NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Spots on the Windshield

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Spots on the Windshield
    Posted: June-17-2010 at 10:19pm
On the '84 SN2001 I always used Rain-X on the windshield. I applied it twice a season. I had heard a rumor of it turning the plastic yellow but never noticed a problem. Now I have a newer boat, 2008 SN206, so I am wondering what everyone else is doing to eleviate the water spotting. My daughter is freaking out since we have never had water spots on our windshield.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 10:25pm
Pledge works good on plastic, gives it a nice shine and waxes it so you won't have a water spotting issue. You can also purchase true plastic polishes.   IMO, they work about the same, and pledge is usually cheaper. Make sure the window is wet before rubbing any of the dust around though.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 10:48pm
I use this stuff. It takes off water spots, acid rain etchings, sun spots etc.

Tim D
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 1:49am
Yeah, We sell the crap out of that Nu-Glass. A guy just came in today and bought 2 bottles for his Mastercraft he said.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 2:12am
I use Rain-X Window cleaner that has the Rain-X in it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 3:17am
I have been waxing my windshield for the last 5 years or so. Easy to do every time I wax the boat I go over the windshield. The water beads off nice and it wipes down easily. This is the second boat I have used this on and it seems to work well. no ill effects on the glass so far.
I got the idea from someone in the automotive business. They used wax on the windshield of their vehicles and had been doing it for a long time.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by dsums dsums wrote:

I got the idea from someone in the automotive business. They used wax on the windshield of their vehicles and had been doing it for a long time.

As long as you don't use winshield wipers.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2010 at 10:30am
Rain X, and I spray it down with the same stuff I use when we wipe the boat down, vinegar water and Babes Boat Bright. I clean it Invisible Glass which is cheap and easy to find out here in the sticks and never have a problem with the spots. I think the real trick is wiping everything down religously after you get otut of the water everytime no mater what you use.
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 10:15am
I received this answer from Art Cozier with Correct Craft, "Anything that can be used on an automobile windshield is OK on your boat windshield. It is made of tempered safety glass."
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 1:53pm
Vinegar and water.... Don't need to buy a thing...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Moj'

Isn't that for feminine freshness?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Moj'

Isn't that for feminine freshness?

Yep, and for other a nice cocktail hahahaha..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 11:39am
I had some bad water spots on my '85 when I bought it. Nothing seemed to take them off they seemed like calcium from hard water.
Tried some CLR, cleaned up like new.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by dsums dsums wrote:

I have been waxing my windshield for the last 5 years or so. Easy to do every time I wax the boat I go over the windshield. The water beads off nice and it wipes down easily. This is the second boat I have used this on and it seems to work well. no ill effects on the glass so far.

I know a lot of custom car guys do this.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I had some bad water spots on my '85 when I bought it. Nothing seemed to take them off they seemed like calcium from hard water.

What's CLR?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

What's CLR?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 7:01pm
C.L.R abbreviates Calcium Lime Rust. It can be found at most departmant or hardware stores.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 1:38pm
Gracias!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic