Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fuel line for Holley to Edelbrock Intake - Update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel line for Holley to Edelbrock Intake - Update

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Watarski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel line for Holley to Edelbrock Intake - Update
    Posted: June-20-2010 at 7:00pm
After installing the Holley 4160 last night, I tried to attach the fuel line from the fuel pump. Unfortunately the carb now sits atop an Edelbrock Performer intake. The fuel line is just a tad short...it's connected, but way too tight for my liking. Skidim has a universal 31" rubber version, but that runs around $65. Is that my only option, aside from making my own line?
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 8:18pm
I just bought the SkiDim 31" line for my Chevy powered engine (Performer + 4160 Holley on order).

I'm guessing yours is Ford powered as the Chevy metal line will not reach a Holley carb with out a series of adapters. I looked at the line to move the Holley fuel inlet to the Chevy side and many other parts on Summit / Jegs / Race Boat website. While some looked promising nothing looked as simple and secure + USCG approved like the 31" Ski Dim line for my application (My pump is on the rt and carb fuel inlet on the left). Most automotive performance stuff converts to Hoese barb or AN/JIC Hydraulic line type fitting.

Hopefully the ford guys have a quick trick to help you out. Their are many diffeent short metal inlet line adapters for the Holley but none that would help me.
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2010 at 10:09pm
3/8 steel brakeline at your local auto parts store, if you can borrow a tube bender and a double flare tool you can make your own for about $10.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Watarski Watarski wrote:

After installing the Holley 4160 last night, I tried to attach the fuel line from the fuel pump. Unfortunately the carb now sits atop an Edelbrock Performer intake. The fuel line is just a tad short...it's connected, but way too tight for my liking. Skidim has a universal 31" rubber version, but that runs around $65. Is that my only option, aside from making my own line?

all that is required is taking some of the bend out of the line so that it is a little longer. If both ends are attached and tightened then it's good to go, Don't understand what you think is too tight, too close to the block maybe? The Tubing will bend so just adjust the bends and get it away from the block and you'll be fine with the current line.
Watarski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 3:21am
My dad borrowed a tube bender today and TRIED to alter the fuel line. He was going slow and easy...and making good progress. Until the final big bend. Just a slight bit of pressure snapped the line. I'm not sure if that's because of its age, or it's to be expected for that thickness of line.

When I said earlier that it was too tight, it was up against the alternator - and that was from the original bending of the upper section of line by hand. Now I've got to decide between ordering an OEM piece from skidim, or finding a double flare tool and making my own.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 9:28am
Craig,
Get some brake line like Alan mentioned but pre flared. You may want to get several lengths in 1" increments. Start with the length you think will work. If good, take the others back. Double flaring is a PITA and sometimes even a "art"!! Bending can be a challenge too and depends on the type of bender used. With steel tubing, you need a top of the line bender.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 10:03am
The double flare will certainly be a bigger challenge than the bending.

As Pete suggests, if brake line is available in the right length (or a couple of inches longer) bend it with the pre-flared ends in place......you can always add an extra little bend to take up length. As I remember, when I made up a fuel line a couple of years back, the auto parts store only had brake line that came in 6" size increments.
Watarski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 3:00pm
Thanks to Jody at FL Inboards, I got another fuel line (which I still owe him for). This one was much easier to shape. Got everything buttoned up and headed to the lake yesterday for the test. The ONE part I didn't replace/refurb, the fuel pump, is bad. I'm not getting enough pressure from it. Another holding pattern till I can get one in...
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 2:49am
My fuel pump is beginnign to leak oil. Looks like I'll need one too.

Any preferd place to shop?
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

My fuel pump is beginnign to leak oil. Looks like I'll need one too.

Did you mean to say leaking gas? If gas, you need a pump. If oil then the gasket at the pump flange where it bolts to the engine block. Get back to us.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 1:17pm
Pete,
   It is odd I'm getting oil in the vacuum line to the flame arrestor. Checked and double checked but it is oil / not fuel. I assume their is a gasket sealing the pump arm from the rest of the assyembly.
Michael ....    

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 1:18pm
Yes, there is a gasket between the pump and the block.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Yes, there is a gasket between the pump and the block.

Yes but this gasket only seals off the block to the outside.

Michael,
Sounds like the oil is internally making it past a leak in the diaphragm and into the vent tube. New pump time!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watarski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 2:21pm
Didn't have that problem. Just not gas going up the fuel line to the carb. 25 year old pump, what did I expect?
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 2:36pm
My pump was 6-7 years older than your 2 and it didn't leak from even the first diaphragm and still put out 4.5 psi.

Too bad 4.5 psi is not enough
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 2:45pm
Come on guys, too simple.........

How can oil get in the "sight tube" from the lack of a gasket.

There are two diaphams with a "marine fuel pump"

my vote is the lower diaphram is compromised......
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

My pump was 6-7 years older than your 2 and it didn't leak from even the first diaphragm and still put out 4.5 psi.

Too bad 4.5 psi is not enough

Of what use was the above statement ....

4.5 is ample for 90 percent of the carbs out there.I am running a stock PCM fuel pump on her 331 and have spun it 6500 rpm with no fuel starvation issues.What makes you say that 4.5 is not enough???

You have other fuel delivery problems and a Band aid was used.Do you have a PCM Engine Manual.If not,I would suggest you add this to your marine library. Lotta info, part numbers, pictures, exploded views ....
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 5:53pm
Thanks Pete & Boat Dr. ~ New pump ordered and on the way..

I considered a rebuild kit but the fuel system is not the place I want to make a compromise.
Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 5:58pm
Is pressure ever an issue with a pump?

A float bowl is vented and has no dependancy on pump pressure for operation ~ only flow.
Michael ....    

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

Is pressure ever an issue with a pump?

A float bowl is vented and has no dependancy on pump pressure for operation ~ only flow.

No it's not dependent on pressure but, pressure is a indication of flow. Since dropping a pressure gauge in line is easy and inexpensive as compared to one of the flow measuring devices it's a common diagnostic tool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
legaleagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legaleagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 7:16am

Didn't have that problem. Just not gas going up the fuel line to the carb. 25 year old pump, what did I expect?

25 years!!! You must be having a good one. How long do these pumps usually serve us?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 8:54am
Originally posted by legaleagle legaleagle wrote:

25 years!!! You must be having a good one. How long do these pumps usually serve us?

I did my pump on my 54 in 2008. That's 54 years. I know it was original due to the paint that was still on it when I bought the boat and rebuilt the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic