NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rudder port leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rudder port leaking
    Posted: June-22-2010 at 11:26am
boat taking on water thru rudder port, model serarator any way to replace packing without pulling motor, and how much play should it have {up and down} thanks goys
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 12:17pm
Jeff,
Well, if you have real small arms (long too) and hands?????

The up and down can be pretty sloppy + or - 1/4". It's governed by the amount of packing in the port which governs how far the packing nut screws onto the post. Extra play is taken up by brass/bronze washers between the packing nut and rudder arm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 12:31pm
Hey Jeff,    Leaking thru packing or leaking around the log?
Either way, throw something over the engine to lay on. Work, standing on your head. It's a lot easier to drop the rudder than to pull the engine.
Working upside-down, just one small draw-back for V-Drive ownership.

AT
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 12:38pm
Standing on your head reminds me of having to change out the O/D tilt motor on a Evenrude/Johnson/Chris Craft gull wing with the OMC O/D!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Working upside-down, just one small draw-back for V-Drive ownership.

Funny. My SAN is a total biatch to work on. My remote filter kit on my 502 is the single best addition I have made to mine.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 12:48pm
Oh, and Jeff, Try not to lay on the throttle cable.

AT
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 1:45am
Calling all long skinny armed ,head standing CCfans,   I didnt check shaft log thanks for the reminder, get to it tomorrow. didnt have a proublem till taking boat off trailer one day and lake was to shallow at this perticuler ramp. never listen to a friend with a I/O, didnt hit hard just enough to stop boat at idle backing up. will keep ya posted jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic