Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski pylon
    Posted: June-22-2010 at 4:29pm
Does anyone know if the ski pylon on a 93 sn is solid or hollow? Thinking of having one straightened. Thanks
93 Ski Nautique   SUCK MY WAKE
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 7:48pm
I'm not the expert...but judging by the weight I'd have to go with Solid.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 7:55pm
Solid. Are you sure its (improperly) bent? They have a slight curve from the factory, a few inches above the floor.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 8:17pm
I don't have mine in front of me, but they kind of hug the leading edge of the engine cover, right?

I think I've heard complaints somewhere that this natural bend can make mounting barefoot booms or wakeboard sky pole type deals a little tricky. Is that what you're trying to do?

They're pretty sturdy, I'd think it would be really hard to bend one. And, if you somehow managed to bend one, I would think it would be very hard to straighten.

I'm not sure what's entailed in removing and replacing one. That might be a better/easier option if yours was actually damaged.
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I don't have mine in front of me, but they kind of hug the leading edge of the engine cover, right?

I think I've heard complaints somewhere that this natural bend can make mounting barefoot booms or wakeboard sky pole type deals a little tricky. Is that what you're trying to do?

Brian, Yes mine actually touches the engine box. And the box is in the proper place. It hasn't been moved forward. Someone thought the box may have been shifted forward at some point, but it is in the right position. So i don't see how i could install a flyhigh pole over it. So after looking in the diaries section i have noticed other looked to be touching there engine boxes as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add a flyhigh? Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 11:05am
I would be very surprised if your pylon was bent. The motorbox attaches to the removable rear floor panel, which only floats on its supports and would be able to move forward and reduce your clearance.

Every extended pylon Ive seen runs to about a foot above the floor- it does not go all the way down. No problem running Fly Highs and booms on all of our boats- even at the same time.

Post a picture and show us what youre dealing with.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 11:52am
i used to have a skylon in my '93 with the "bent" ski pylon...no problems...here is an old photo
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 1:27pm
I think that looking at the pictures with fly highs and other extended pylons that they appear to be touching, but really are not touching. The pic above looks like it gets close as well, but apparently does not touch. Every nautique I have been in that has had a extended pylon like that has never had any interference issues. My pylon hugs the motor box, but does not touch. It didn't touch before I redid the floor either.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 2:21pm
Yeah, my brother is itching to install a fly-high on my boat. The motor-box is actually fiberglass mine, not upholstered, so I'm a little uptight about it getting scratched. I'm also not sure if the extended pole would make it a hassle to cover the boat?

So yeah, I haven't given the go-ahead on that one yet. I'm assuming it would make the jumps a little more fun though, I've wakeboarded off a boat with a tower and have to admit it was cool.
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 3:07pm
Nick, Did your flyhigh pole slide over your factory pylon or was it a replacement one piece? My pylon presses against my engine cover compressing the foam, so i would not be able to slip one over. And on the my rear removable floor panel, it has 2 holes that fit over mounted studs on the floor to secure the rear seat bottom. So i am sure the box hasn't mover forward.I am thinking the last owner used a fylhigh without securing it to bow...My pylon is bent 3 inches from top to bottom.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 4:02pm
Take a picture and post it so we can see what youre talking about. Your description (3" bend) sounds normal.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 6:24pm
You do know someone fastened those hinges to the floor by hand right? They didn't get a measuring tape out every time!
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by LAKESIDE LAKESIDE wrote:

Nick, Did your flyhigh pole slide over your factory pylon or was it a replacement one piece? My pylon presses against my engine cover compressing the foam, so i would not be able to slip one over. And on the my rear removable floor panel, it has 2 holes that fit over mounted studs on the floor to secure the rear seat bottom. So i am sure the box hasn't mover forward.I am thinking the last owner used a fylhigh without securing it to bow...My pylon is bent 3 inches from top to bottom.

yes, it slides over the factory pylon. there is a "sleeve" that fits over the factory plyon first to ensure a snug fit and prevent scratching. there is definitely clearance between the factory pylon and motor box...as on other cc's i've been in. i suppose it's possible, not likely, that an improperly secured skylon bent your pylon more...definitely post a photo and we can tell you if your's is normal or not.
for what it's worth, i only used the sklyon for one season...PIA to put up and take down, not as solid as a tower, no board racks, poor visibility, blah, blah, blah. the only good thing about them is that they can get the tow point up high AND keep your boat original...if that is important to you
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 6:58pm
If you're referring to the boat in your avatar...then it doesn't look bent any more than normal.

Are you sure the access panel hasn't moved forward resulting in the box touching the pylon?

Our 96 SNOB is really close, but it doesn't do any damage.
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 8:09pm
I finally figured out that my camera phones resolution was set to a gazillion so was having trouble posting pics. Hopefully i will be able to do so tonight.

(quote Hollywood) You do know someone fastened those hinges to the floor by hand right? They didn't get a measuring tape out every time!

Hollywood the hinges are not fastened to floor. They have quick release pins on this model. That go into predrilled holes... and yeah i hope building a first-class skiboat they use tape measures...lol
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 8:58pm
Lakeside, you never know. CC had my drain for the battery box glassed almost completely shut, straight from the factory.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 10:58pm
Alright here is a pic of my pylon...I reinstalled in the boat and think im just gonna leave it for now.
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 11:08pm
Heres pics installed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 11:14pm
Dave,
I think just as Chris (storm) mentioned, you dog house (engine enclosure) is too far forward. Pylon looks fine. How much clearance is there between the forward side of the dog house and the accessory pulleys? It looks like it's been shifted during the re carpet or upholstery job.

BTW, Very nice!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 11:39pm
Impossible. I did the interior myself. The pylon was the same before i started interior. I put all the old screws in the holes and put it back exactly as was before. I think i will be ok. I dont think it will do any harm to box... I know what you guys mean about the hinges and brackets. I have done many a carpet jobs on inboards. Not gonna sweat it anymore .. Ready to hit the water!!!!!Thanks for all the info guys!...This site is awesome!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 12:33am

Impossible. I did the interior myself. The pylon was the same before i started interior. I put all the old screws in the holes and put it back exactly as was before.

So you think it was wrong from the factory? Impossible!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 1:10am
brainard       
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Lakeside, you never know. CC had my drain for the battery box glassed almost completely shut, straight from the factory.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 1:21pm
The pylon looks fine- same exact shape as my '90. 3" bend front to rear over the full height looks to be about right.

My clearance between the pylon and motorbox is pretty consistent top to bottom though (on my '90). It appears as though the front face of your motorbox is pretty much vertical, which is strange. I would move your hinges on the back panel back at least an inch to increase that clearance, especially if you ever plan to use a boom or extended pylon. You dont want those accessories tearing up the nice new vinyl.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 1:26pm

Hollywood the hinges are not fastened to floor. They have quick release pins on this model. That go into predrilled holes... and yeah i hope building a first-class skiboat they use tape measures...lol

Did you vote for Obama?

Ok, the brackets that hold the hinges. I know exactly what they look like, I was just trying to keep it simple. There are countless inconsistencies with these boats.

Move the box back (if you have room in front of your pulleys) or install a "newer" totally straight pylon.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 1:45pm
Ok. The brackets we're talking about are the ones that connect the motor box to the access panel, correct?

I was thinking that the access panel itself possibly got shifted forward, thus making the whole thing move forward.

Or am I two days behind this thread?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 1:54pm
There are many reasons this could be.

Panel forward
Hinges forward
Pylon extra bent
Pylon mounted rearward
Pylon angled rearward
Motorbox extra square
Too much motorbox padding

Add it all up.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 2:33pm
When you redid the vinyl on the motorbox, did you add padding under it?
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:21pm
Kevin. No didn't vote for obama.. Sorry to disappoint you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic