Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Information about an BFN?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
D86BFN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Information about an BFN?
    Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:46pm
I bought an 86 bfn with a 454, somebody has put an hei distributor on it, and the boat runs horrible, im looking to buy a DUI distributor but i need information first. Does anyboby know how much the boat weighs? The biggest issue is the rotation, reverse or not? ive been told it was and then it wasnt? The rotor bug turns clockwise, along with the harmonic balancer, so what would it be?
Just Haulin'
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 4:10pm
who says the distributor is why it's runnig bad, how are the plugs, wires, rotor, cab, coil, carb, engine timing, and all the other crap that can make an engine bad. There is no since in replacing the current HEI unit with the same thing you would be getting from Davis unified ignition.

I find it completely funny that the curve profiles are exactly the same from my buddy's stroker as Tim's massaged 351w and his 454 too all have 24 degrees of total advance built into them. You can do the exact same with what you currently have with twenty dollar curve kit and the right HEI module.

but I'm sure we'll hear Tim's lame excuss why it's sooooooo mmmuuuuuccchhhhh better,

But I can tell you what to do and you'll be money ahead and have the exact same distributor performance. BTW you can run .055-.065 plug gaps on any HEI distributor, the coil is what drives that.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 4:48pm
I am not aware of any HEI style marine distributor besides the DUI. I am betting the one on your boat is an automotive unit- I would consider swapping it out regardless in the name of safety if that is in fact the case.

Chris, I know you dont like the DUI, though I still dont know why. Ive picked up a ton of performance on everything Ive installed it on- both acceleration and top end. Like I said, HEI is a nice style of ignition, and DUI is the only one making a marine version that I know of.

Your boat ran ok, but it wouldnt run in the top 5 at GL the past few years. It also took about a half mile to get up to speed- hardly monumental performance. Put your money where your mouth is and build a faster CC! I can point to a handful of people with new Mallorys that are struggling to get the curve right... I still havent heard a DUI owner complain. If your buddy doesnt like the curve, send it back to Davis and have them dial it in for him. Or recurve it for him, its not rocket surgery. Does the Mallory contain magical pixie dust that allows it to automatically recurve itself?

Back to the original owner's problem...

The first thing I would do is tune the motor up before upgrading to a $$$ distributor. Go through the fuel and ignition systems, and replace the maintenance items (cap/rotor/plugs/wires/fuel filter/etc), set the timing, then the idle and see how it runs. THEN evaluate replacement parts if youre still having running issues.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 5:14pm
Please Tim get a clue little BS there. Let me get the page out of the PCM manual for you since your not aware of the HEI unit they used with an unused vaccum advance to boot.

BTW there aren't points in an HEI distributor,

Who ever needs there Distibutor curved bring them over I'll get you hooked up and dialed in real quick, I don't care what brand it is you'll be very pleased with the results.

BTW Tim you forgot about all of the goodies I had ready to bolt up and replace the whole top end. If I wanted to jack with changing props, which I didn't, you would have lost out of the hole as well as on the top end, but I choose not to crank it over 6k by using a 13x14 prop on the 1:1 tranny and stuck with 470 prop enstead.

And with the better flowing heads, higher compression they would have given the engine, better exhaust manifolds and a recurved distributor that I never got around to doing, I would have kept up quit easily and left you in the wake from the get go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 5:45pm
BTW if the base of the HEI unit doesn't have any vents then it's a marine unit, even if it has a vaccum advance, you just don't hook that up and there is a cap over the port where a hose would go if used.

if the HEI unit has vents then you have to verify that they are the flame arrestor style, that requires you to see if an open flame passes through it or not if it doesn't your good to go for a marine application. Early units used the same base as the automotive unit with the exception of the screen being replaced with a flame arrestor style screen, How do I know, I was emplyed by Delco Remy and worked in Engineering department as a designer is how.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 6:06pm
Sounds like a bunch of talk to me Chris. A claimed 52 and a weak holeshot wasnt going to cut it! Or do you have a new boat waiting in the wings that performs better?

This pointless (pun intended!) distributor debate aside, Ill stick with my original advice. Check to make sure the dizzy is safe for marine use, then tune everything up before throwing parts at a problem.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 6:06pm
My question is where in the automotive world would you use a reverse rotation distributor?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 6:08pm
You wouldnt- at least not in these engines.

To your original question, CC used reverse rotation engines, but the distributor for a big block (or any?) Chevy is exactly the same as one used on a standard rotation engine. The cam spins the same direction in both configurations, so the gear is identical. This is not the case with the Fords (which require a reverse cut gear).
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 6:14pm
thanks learn something new everyday around here
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 6:25pm
Can I open the gap on my spark plugs if the coil is what drives the plugs? I have an MSD Blaster 8222 on my 87 SN 351 engine. I have been thinking about this for a while. What you guys think? Any recommended gap?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 6:35pm
Poor Dustin is asking himself, did I just shake a bees nest?
Welcome to the world of CC's, but a special welcome to the world of BFN's. The engine is a reverse rotation. I don't know much about the dizzy's, curves, etc. But I do know that you should start with the easy stuff like the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and timing. Mine was running a little rough, and it was a carb rebuild the did the trick.
BTW, this morning I received my new plug wire set from Skidim.   
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 7:04pm
It's just another day here at CCfan Tull. Lots of help from the guys and some shots fired back and forth. Tim while I can not speak of the performance of the DUI set up, the MSD set I run has left me no reason to look for another set up. Different tuners like different parts, nothing new there.

D86BFN
They are right about starting with the basics. Running a couple tanks of fresh quality fuel will work wonders as well after you have checked the plugs, wires, carb, and timing. How many hours are on the engine, do you have any service records from the previous owner?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by D86BFN D86BFN wrote:

The rotor bug turns clockwise, along with the harmonic balancer, so what would it be?

Getting back to the questions, I don't think anyone has commented on the rotation. If the front end of the engine viewed from the front is turning clockwise, then it's a standard rotation ending which would be spinning a LH prop.

Dustin,
Check to see what prop is on it. A LH will turn counterclockwise when going forward. (with a 1:1 trans)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 2:40am
Dustin,

Don't mind 79' & TRBenj, they are always arguing about who is behind who, in their End, they both really want to be in Front
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Can I open the gap on my spark plugs if the coil is what drives the plugs? I have an MSD Blaster 8222 on my 87 SN 351 engine. I have been thinking about this for a while. What you guys think? Any recommended gap?

yes you can.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by D86BFN D86BFN wrote:

The rotor bug turns clockwise, along with the harmonic balancer, so what would it be?

Getting back to the questions, I don't think anyone has commented on the rotation. If the front end of the engine viewed from the front is turning clockwise, then it's a standard rotation ending which would be spinning a LH prop.

Dustin,
Check to see what prop is on it. A LH will turn counterclockwise when going forward. (with a 1:1 trans)

doesn't matter Pete as Tim all ready stated it's a standard rotation dist regardless of engine rotation. If you recall during Tim's write up about his BBC the cam is gear driven and not chain driven thus rotating the cam back to standard in a reverse rotation application.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic