Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stumbling after 4-5k rpms

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stumbling after 4-5k rpms
    Posted: June-30-2010 at 9:59pm
First time out with the new GT-40p heads. Replaced last weekend, ran some test in the driveway for an hour or so at different speeds. All ran good. Solid idle speeds, etc. Between idle to around 4k, she is solid. No issues. after about 4k to 5k rpms, I noticed all of sudden it would jump a little, then continue to 5k, then 5 seconds or so later, start to stumble.

So either Im looking at timing or some kind of carb adjustment.

I did re-time the beast. Started off at 10 degrees, finished at 16-18 degrees. I have not re-timed it since we went out. I dont think I need to since it seemed ok from idle to 3k or so.

She ran good though. No leaks, (water, oil, exhaust) from the head or valve covers. Had some paint burn off. I had painted the exhaust when I had it off and the elbows must have burned away. (and the head).

So to recap-

- Replaced heads with new GT40-ps.
- Holley stayed on the intake, never took off. (nor adjusted)
- re-timed protech ignition to 16-18 degrees with 87/89 octane
- new plugs autolite 764.

Although, I just noticed this:   at skidim site, it says to gap for protech to .045.    Would this be my issue at the high end?

Would i have to gap the plugs, then retime everything??

Or do I have another issue with my holley?

Thanks fellas!
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 10:23pm
I know my GT40 manual shows the .045 gap as well. One of the 'real' motor guys will have to answer the rest of your question.
One question for you is whether there is a break-in time for new heads like with a new motor? Maybe it would have something to do with that. Good luck
~Peter
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 10:32pm
I know, im waiting for 79nautique to tell me I f'd it up already. (jokes!).    yeah, Im hoping someone will have some insight if not gaping my plugs is what is causing it.   Before my heads a couple years back, I had a stumble and backfire issue around 3k. But I put in new fuel lines and new inline filter and plugs and it solved that problem. Ran fine.

Im wondering if the carb needs adjusting to the new heads.

wonder, wonder wonder right?!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 10:21am
I don't believe the carb needs major internal adjustments to cure your symptom.

If you gapped larger then .045 i would suspect issues but not if gapped.035

Sounds like a classic fuel supply problem.

I don't fully understand the protech timing method but you could be too advanced now. I would verify the system is not exceeding 36 degrees final.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 11:49am
YEA those PN guys got you all hooked up, too bad they're not to good at reading a manual and how to set the timing correctly.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 1:51pm
Thanks for the wasted post 79nautique.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:04pm
You didn't want to listen then, on either site, I don't think you've learned anything at all, beside you asked, I told.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:12pm
I had a hard time listening to you because what you said with the protech was completely wrong. There is no manual for the protech anywhere. So when you say keep looking at the manual, there is none.

My manual says 18 degrees at 700 RPM, which it is. I did not time at 26 degrees at 3600... so possibly that is why its stumbling. or the spark plug gap.... Instead of smartarse comments, constructive input is usually the preferred input on forum boards instead of your constant last word bickering with everyone. You have great knowledge, and we all appreciate it, but to a point.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by tommer12 tommer12 wrote:

I did re-time the beast. Started off at 10 degrees, finished at 16-18 degrees. I have not re-timed it since we went out. I dont think I need to since it seemed ok from idle to 3k or so.

so was the knock sensor connected when you set the interupter's timing?
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:16pm
Knock senser was off per the manual i have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by tommer12 tommer12 wrote:

I had a hard time listening to you because what you said with the protech was completely wrong. no I wasn't   There is no manual for the protech anywhere. So when you say keep looking at the manual, there is none. yes there is

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:25pm
There appears to be a difference of opinion here. No, there is no dedicated ProTec manual on this site as far as I can tell. Yes, the system is discussed in the 1993 PCM Engine Manual that both of you are referencing. This does seem to cover the intial timing of the engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:29pm
so called non existant manual that exists here on this site

static timing 10

700 rpm 18

3600 rpm 30

so which one is checked with the knock sensor disconnected? all of them? none of them? two of them? one?

If you don't have the corrrect style timing light how are you even setting timing guessing maybe? must pointer scales are not high enough to use a standard timing light and why a advancing timing light is required so that only the zero mark is used.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:35pm
See, those numbers are wrong.   351 HO is what it is because I have the GT40p heads.    Im pretty sure my pointer scale goes to 30, but Id have to double check.

Using a standard light.    There is only one knock sensor on the back of the block.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:38pm
What numbers are wrong? I cant think of a single reason why the timing would be any different between the base and HO engines. The only thing that changed between the 2 are the heads.

If you have a factory HO (Proboss) then you have GT40 heads, not GT50p's.

Pick yourself up a decent timing light with an advance feature- theyre really handy.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:42pm
I was looking at my 92 manual and the 93 manual online and they are the same.

The 351 standard timing is 18 @700 and 30 @3600rpms

351 HO (proboss GT40) is 18 @700 and 26 @3600

So here is probably what i should do....

gap my plugs to .045
re-time the beast at 26 degrees at 3600.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 3:01pm
first off you can't change the 3600 timing you can only change base timing. Secondly if you had a regular 351w and added gt40p heads that doesn't instantly make it a ProBoss engine, did you also replace the Cam? did you also flash the computer to the ProBoss specs, hell know you didn't, and it's the F computer that drives weather it's 26 or 30 not your unskiiled mechanics.

so leave the knock sensor attached read timing if it's not at 10 BTDC then you have it WRONG, change it so that it is, then disconnect the knock sensor the timing should advance since all the knock sensor does is retrad timing.

You set base timing and the computer does the rest, get the right tools and listen or just go ....for all I care I'm done d*cking with your stupid ....
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 3:13pm
I think you expect us all to be PCM mechanics by day, and real jobs at night.    We are all hobbyist here. So lay off.

It was timed at 10 with the knock and 16-18 with it off.    But you dont have to respond. Continue sitting behind your laptop on your front porch yelling at school kids as they step on your lawn passing by.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 3:26pm
I don't expect lip, I give it back very harshly at times,

so either your not too good at reading a timing light or your's isn't very good and you need the correct style light. The timing will not vary, so the 16-18 something is wrong, your technique, timing light, or the protec module. It should be steady at 18 BTDC knock sensor disconnected and this is only for verification not adjusting. So if it's not steady at 700 rpm, did you even look at that after the knock sensor was unpluged? and at a steady 18 BTDC there isn't a range for this then it's screwed up and not set correctly or the module is going out.
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 3:33pm
Gentlemen, gentlemen, am I going to have to separate you two?
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 3:40pm
Its a love/hate relationship. I see it already.

From being on the trailer, I do not have it gear at 700rpms. It was 700 in neutral. So this could be why also.      The knock sensor is a wire with a nut on it. You have take the nut off, remove the wire. So its off.

Should I be in the water, in gear at 700 RPM and time then? I clearly have a white line I put at 18 BTDC. So my light is hitting the point at that line. Unless my light is screwed.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 3:46pm
Not being intimately familiar with the inner workings of the Protec, it sounds to me like youre in the ballpark with the timing. Its possible that your Protec is f'd, in which case no amount of fiddling is going to help it. My initial take on your description of the symptoms was the same as Gottaski's- classic fuel delivery problem. Id take a look at your antisiphon valve before doing much else.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 4:03pm
if idle isn't steady or the timing you have other issues that are not fuel related.

So for the umptenth time, set base timing at 10 BTDC knock sensor wire connected, setting the interruptor's base timing, disconnect knock sensor verify timing is steady, verify timing at 3600 rpm

but get a real timing light so that the timing can be set properly.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 4:08pm
idle is good and steady. She doesnt rise or fall from @700rpm even in gear it stays. She was running hot yesterday over 4k. I found a piece of impeller lodge in the water intake/outtake on the pump. (forgot which). But that shouldnt cause it from stumbling.

I'll have to find another timing gun and try again.

it very well could be the protech is dying out. If I time this precisely with another gun and still stumbles at the upper end... the protech maybe cant keep up.   Which seems odd. you would think it either works or doesnt work with the computer. but who knows
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 4:10pm
It's a good thing I haven't ever mentioned the timing light I have to Chris. No advance feature!!! The one before this one was a simple zenon light!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not being intimately familiar with the inner workings of the Protec, it sounds to me like youre in the ballpark with the timing. Its possible that your Protec is f'd, in which case no amount of fiddling is going to help it. My initial take on your description of the symptoms was the same as Gottaski's- classic fuel delivery problem. Id take a look at your antisiphon valve before doing much else.

The timing has to be exact other wise you have firing issue that show up with higher rpms. The computor adjust the advance so there is no fudge factor like with a distributor.

Most DIS ignitions use a crank and cam sensor that are fixed no adjustment and alignment to jack with, Cadillac uses two cranks and two cam sensors, most systems require a magentic tipped timing gun for verification again you cannot change the timing profile on a dis system.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's a good thing I haven't ever mentioned the timing light I have to Chris. No advance feature!!! The one before this one was a simple zenon light!!

Pete There's one at the shop that I bet is older than you, looks like a small light bulb with leads and aligator clips. BTW why the hell would you have a good timing light your still d*cking around with points, but hey at least you don't loose any judges points
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete There's one at the shop that I bet is older than you, looks like a small light bulb with leads and aligator clips. BTW why the hell would you have a good timing light your still d*cking around with points, but hey at least you don't loose any judges points

You are correct Chris. I haven't been building up engines to try to make them fast but then don't go fast or come out of the hole very well.
Besides, one of my engines has a manual advance and another you just twist the distributor for max RPM and then back it off slightly. (the third does get the light attached to it)

BTW, the Zenon light I did have was probably the same as you mentioned. Just sort of a light bulb with wires and clips on them. I'll bet Gary (Gary S) has one of them!! Back in the old days, we both shopped at J.C. Whitney/Warshawski!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 5:49pm
I dropped a call to my local CC dealer. The guy there said it is possible the computer getting mixed readings at higher RPM and putting the engine into power reduction mode. The mixed readings are from radio frequency waves from the plugs arhing (I think that is what he said). He said its pretty hard to diagnose the issues, but after 3200 rpms and power drops or surges like that, the computer could be causing it to this. He said to try some diaelectric grease on each plug wire boot to make sure its connecting solid and try again.. otherwise... its time to replace the protech.

Wait for it.... wait for it..... "I told you to get rid of the POS protech system!"

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 5:55pm
Seems like you are having same problems as me....my engine runs strong all the way to 4400rpm...then it stays there although more throttle left on the lever...its acts like a rev limiter is kicking in....
I´m about to trash the PT and buy the retrofit...I´m just figuring out the best shipping options to save some money on customs tax...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic