Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hole in Muffler On my 89 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skierbrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hole in Muffler On my 89 Nautique
    Posted: July-08-2010 at 1:07am
I found a rather large hole in my Inverta Flo muffler for my '89 Nautique over the weekend (1" long x 1/4" wide). I thought that maybe I could just patch the hole but I noticed that there is something rattling around inside that seems like it should fit in the outbound tube that runs towards the exit hose. Anyone know if it is fixable and how to fix? Or is this a replacement job? Here are a few pictures!

michiel200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:53am
As far as I know, it's fibreglass so quit easy to repair.
Use the search on this site, I saw more topics on this matter.
'92 BFN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:41pm
Brant,

I know that Race City Marine sell a Y-Pipe that eliminates the muffler. It give you a real clean look. If you go that route your boat will be louder. That is a good thing in my book.

Donald
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 4:18pm
You have a loose inner baffle....you need to either remove the top cap or the side one closer to the exhaust exit and fix it with glass..then patch it all again using glass..easy fix...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 4:21pm

I had same problem once, the lower baffle was loose inside
sorry my basic drawing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 5:12pm
Thanks Kapla! Good visual of what it should look like. I wondered if that was where the loose piece was suppose to go. I've never done glass work before. Just need to find supplies. Does the cover have to be cut off or I don't suppose it will unscrew??? Ha ha.   
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 5:32pm
cut with an angle grinder..then put glass everything back togheter..For supplies you will find epoxy resin to be the best for the job..
I canĀ“t recall vendor now but sure someone will chime in.
As far as working with glass its not that difficult..just got to get used to the mixing of the resing and curing time...then its only put resin, then cloth or mat, resin..etc, let cure and that its...
My muffler is still alive after the 3rd surgery...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 6:22pm
Brant,
For small quantities of epoxy supplies, look for West or Maas brands at a local marine supply or if you want to shop on line try Jametown Distributors

BTW, I'm in favor of going with the "Y" pipe and tossing the septic tank in the garbage!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 11:25pm
Brant,

Found this picture of the muffler I think Kapla posted it originally. I have been searching for the thread with the pictures of the Inverta flow all sectioned up I think it may have been a TRBenj thread but I cant find it.
I love the sound of twin non muffler pipes but on a long day in the boat you appreciate the septic tank tones.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 2:37am
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the old '72 Nautique I grew up with but when you have your family in the boat and you are trying to talk, its much nicer having it quiet! Thanks Lewy for the picture. Great visual of what I am getting myself into!!
xjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 8:54pm
y pipe, it wont be that much louder, you cant have a conversation at 25-30mph anyway, cleaner and a true fix instead of patchwork.just my $.02
had to do the same to mine
Ultimanta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultimanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 3:28pm
I successfuly patched a hold in my 99 AN muffler several years ago. It is still holding. Any fiberglass repair kit works. Don't forget to get some disposable plastic gloves. Prepe the area with a dremel or grinder to expose unpainted (and not dirty) fiberglass in an area at least 1 inch surrounding your actual patch area. I used toluene to clean the area before patching. Two glass cloth layers were applied allowing a couple of hours to dry before second layers. Quick and cheap: it works!
Marty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic