NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bleeding Trailer Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleeding Trailer Brakes
    Posted: July-08-2010 at 3:58am
Might be a stupid question, but how do you go about bleeding the brakes on a Trailrite trailer.?

It has the A-60 hitch that slides inside the channel. My brakes were disconnected, thus need to be bled.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:21pm
I don't know about that specific brake actuator...but I think most hydraulic actuators have a spot where you can manually actuate the cylinder, in my case, with a long screwdriver. Open up your bleeder valves and start pumping it. Don't let your reservoir get low.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

I don't know about that specific brake actuator...but I think most hydraulic actuators have a spot where you can manually actuate the cylinder, in my case, with a long screwdriver. Open up your bleeder valves and start pumping it. Don't let your reservoir get low.

all this is going to do is get more air into the system, the bleeder as to be closed before you release pressure on the cylinder, other wise you just suck more air back in to the line and get no where.

the easist way is to use a vaccum bleeder, fill the reservoir, attach the line to the bleeder valve and open up the bleeder once you see clean air free fluid close the valve and go to the next one and repeat.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 6:46pm
I guess I over simplified it yes...Chris is right. When I do it it's a two man job. One person on the bleeder, the other at the actuator. I usually slide some clear tubing over the bleeder and run it in a container. Put some pressure on the cylinder...crack open the bleeder, close the bleeder, release pressure on cylinder.....repeat.

That is the poor man's way. A vacuum bleeder makes it much easier.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 7:01pm
Chris,

Could an oil extractor pump be used as a vacuum bleeder, such as a Suck-up pump?
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 7:47pm
Hi Andrew,

I'm pretty sure I have the same actuator on my trailer...

Here is a link to the Owner's Manual & User's Instructions for the A-60, A-75 & A-84 hydraulic brake actuators from UFP (Unique Functional Products).

Also, if you have any trouble finding spare parts, here is a link to PacificTrailers.com, they seem to have a good selection of parts for this actuator.

Hope this info helps.
Kyle
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 7:59pm
One more thing...

This brochure for the A-60 might be helpful as well... It has a nice cut-away of the interior of the actuator.

Kyle
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 11:35am

When I do it it's a two man job. One person on the bleeder, the other at the actuator.

One of these will make it a one man job and quicker.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_391590_391590
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

When I do it it's a two man job. One person on the bleeder, the other at the actuator.

One of these will make it a one man job and quicker.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_391590_391590

It'd be nice to have every tool for every job, I agree...but I'll save my $42 and bother my wife/neighbor/friend for 3 minutes to do this job once a year
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Chris,

Could an oil extractor pump be used as a vacuum bleeder, such as a Suck-up pump?

YES might require a tubing change though so that it seals on the bleeder valve
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 3:56pm
Thanks Chris, planning on bleeding mine this weekend, thinking I have some air in my lines. Does it matter which fluid is used, Dot 3, 4, ?
From what I read it also says start on the front axle, then do the rear axle, is that correct?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 4:11pm
usually you start at the longest line and then move to the shortest one. I believe you want dot 3 the other is synthetic I think and requires a flush of the old, just be sure and keep plenty of fluid in the reservior before you go to the next one.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2010 at 11:27pm
Thanks for the tips guys.

Kyle - thanks for the manuals.!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2010 at 11:52pm
Andrew I made a pressure bleeder up from a garden sprayer. Just needed to buy a extra reservoir cap and fit a coupling to it. Makes bleeding nice and simple and a one person job.Homemade Pressure Bleeder

Not sure if you will be able to buy a spare cap for your setup but you may be able to find something that will work and seal on top of the reservoir.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic