Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You just gotta love it or it will kill ya !

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You just gotta love it or it will kill ya !
    Posted: July-08-2010 at 5:57am
Back on the purple 93.   Replaced the raw water pump that the previous dingaling broke the bolt housing on. dropped it in the lake and hit the starter and got the wha,wha,wha, and then the starter got stuck for a few seconds, stopped then fired up with ease.   I knew before I looked in the box that I had either a shot out battery or a deep cycle.
I got best of the both, a shot out deep cycle.   For some reason I didn't really look that hard at the battery when I first got it a few months ago.    But just as it started ,,,, yep the HOLLY Gas Leak.
Except for this time it leaked at the little plug thing. I have no idea what its called. its just above the gas line coming in the bowl. I knew it was a pressed on deal. so i gave it a few little taps and low and behold it stopped leaking.   
   My wife is like holy crap how do you not mentally explode with all that happening at one time ?    I guess after awhile you know what to expect from a inboard.   Its pretty much like a old ford car/truck. Just keep a good tool box on board a few spare parts and leave the tow rope on the dock And support your local marina thats been there since the lake filled up.   Just happened to need a 1' long piece of 3/4" hose that of course he had way up on the top shelf.
Now who's making the latest greatest boat batteries these days ? Cause I need to spend another 100 bucks....
pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 11:35am
PMC

Do a search on batteries, this has been discussed many times in the past. However, you need a starting battery and not a Deep Cycle. Deep Cycle are for trowling motors and such.

I hope this helps,

Donald
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 11:50am
get a good car quest battery thay will stand behind it if thair is a problem. jeff
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by pmccook1 pmccook1 wrote:

My wife is like holy crap how do you not mentally explode with all that happening at one time? I guess after awhile you know what to expect from a inboard. Its pretty much like a old ford car/truck. Just keep a good tool box on board a few spare parts

LOL Phil, that sound really familiar. My wife made the same remark a few times, but she got used to it too by now.
Got my boat for three years now and I'm really starting to get to know her... Sometimes I can even foresee when someting's gonna break down.
Became a lot calmer compared to the first year .
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 12:40pm
                     Kristof

How Many Days ???????
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 2:19pm
Still too many Doc
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2010 at 7:11pm
Whats funny to me is to see someone at the dock with no tools. Whats even funnier is when I've got all the tools you could possibly need but the one you actually need....     
pmccook1

Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 10:37am
I've gone so far as to leave whatever tool or spare part I just used in the compartment under the front seat and then get a new one. What's the old adage? Good decisions come from experience and experience comes from bad decisions?

Also, I've been told the marine batteries have a more solid plate structure bec there ain't no shocks on a boat.
1988SkiNautique2001
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2010 at 8:15pm
I've got a friend that owns central Ga Battery .   He's usually on the road but I caught him at the store this morning. I usually have to deal with guys that just know the numbers and size of batterys but can't tell you much more than that.

His guys had pulled out a good battery for me but once I started talking to him , he pulled out the correct battery. It was short and fit in the battery box so you could close the lid, had 800+ cca, and had the side bolton or top post to mount the cables to.   

Next time i'm in there and can catch him I'll get him to show me the insides of both a marine and reg car battery.   Didn't have time to go through all that today.   Visually from the outside their pretty much the same case. I guess its all how its set up on the inside as to what group it gets built for.

pmccook1

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 12:57am
I have been told that the only difference in a marine battery and a auto battery is the marine has the second type of mounts. They have the two threaded rods for the two wing nuts. Otherwise there is no difference.

Donald
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic