Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stalls when shifting into FWD

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 11:26am
Ok, so big thumbs down for N3 at this point.

So I authorized them to put a new carb on it if thats what they thought they needed to do. They're the experts, or so I thought. Call them at 430 (because they close at 5 and had heard nothing) and they say they're out water testing it, come on over it'll be ready when you get here.

So I get there, talk to the tech, he says he couldn't get it to run at all with a brand new carb, so he cleaned up the old one and put it back on and took it out and tweeked it as best he could. He put new plugs in it, a new belt and a new battery because somehow my perfectly functioning battery went bad in their possesion. He then proceeds to tell me that he's not completely sure its fixed because today (3 weeks after the initial drop off) that it sounded like there was a bearing noise when it was trying to die, but it should aleast run as good as when I brought it in.

So at this point its 6pm, I need the boat back because I'm leaving TODAY and I agree to buying a battery a belt and plugs. In turn I get a bill for 560 bucks. I was so mad that point I just paid it, walked out the door and went home. On the way home I started thinking about this.

They sold me a bunch of stuff I didnt neeed when I went in there, I'm now out 560 bucks (dry dock retracted their initial offer to help) my boats not any better than it was....and to top it all off, when i got home and looked at the boat it was compltely covered in black greasy hand prints and looks like hell. I'm 100% unhappy with N3 as at this point they've hosed me for 560 bucks and done nothing but keep me from having my boat until the last possible minute before my trip.

I dealt with Luke and Tim at N3. I told them when I took it in that it wasn't a carb issue, but they spent all they're time trying to fix a problem that was not there. They tried to sell me a carb, but couldn't even get it to run on that carb, and to top it off they trashed my boat and killed my battery. Did Dry Dock pimp me sending me there? I'm just absolutely beside myself right now as I'm ready to leave for a trip and the Correct Craft stealership has not fixed my boat, trashed it and charged me 560 bucks for my inconvinience. I left Luke a message lastnight telling him exactly how I felt, but I'm sure I'll hear nothing back because he has never once called me in this entire process.
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 12:44pm
WOW sorry to hear, if you have some tools at the house and have an hour this afternoon, I could swing past I'm just over here by the airport. If I can't fix it I'm sure I can narrow down the problem so you know exactly whats wrong and needs replaced, It'll Cost you a beer afterwards though, I know it's a steep price but that's my going rate and I'm not changing it
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 1:29pm
Lucas...first off, this sucks, and sorry to hear about it.

2nd off...This is the 2nd time that Chris(79) has offered to personally take time out of his day to help you out...I'm thinking you might want to take him up on his offer. And his rate seems pretty reasonable.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
rogier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 1:45pm
Incredible, not acceptable and I would expect them to refund. Making our shared problem clear for Eric I would like to share the following:

From neutral to reverse is very smooth. You don't hear anything, revs remain the same and the boat starts backing up slowly.

From neutral to forward the RPM drop below neutral RPM. If you leave it at in FWD the engine is struggling at +- 550 RPM and it almost stalls and eventually it does. You have to add some throttle for a two seconds and after that it will run at idle RPM with the throttle in the position it was when almost dying at 550RPM coming from neutral.

Once I've been stuck in mud with a 2007 Air and the experience was exactly the same, something appears to be generating resistance. In neutral I can turn the shaft by hand easily and the engine runs great.

Does this sound the same for your FWD-idle-problem?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 1:49pm
What a maroon, they all clank when they are about to stall. What would he do next, tear apart the engine?
The other carb likely came off some other guys' boat who also wanted it for the weekend. stay clear.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

WOW sorry to hear, if you have some tools at the house and have an hour this afternoon, I could swing past I'm just over here by the airport. If I can't fix it I'm sure I can narrow down the problem so you know exactly whats wrong and needs replaced, It'll Cost you a beer afterwards though, I know it's a steep price but that's my going rate and I'm not changing it

What is time good for you? Do you prefer 24oz beers or do i need to go to the store and find a different size. I promise whatever size and brand they will be cold. I'll PM you my number.
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:36pm
Spoke with Mark at N3. He was apologetic for the poor communication and the dirty boat. He did feel that his 109/hr labor rate was acceptible and the fact that he charged me 3 hours that resulted in nothing more than replacing a battery that they killed, and replacing a set of plugs that I didn't need was appropriate.

I'm sure I'm somehow atleast partially to blame, but I've been a ski nautique nut (grew up on lake james in angola), my entire life and I'm just beside myself with this situation.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:36pm
Bud select, Bud or Coors
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:59pm
your PM might have went into my spam directory and I can not view them on my cell phone or at work so call me at 765-425-5744

chris

p.s. I leave work at 3:00 so i need to hear from you before that.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 3:16pm
Pete,

Pending any engine tuning issues that might cause this, you sure seem like you're on the right track with the trans. issue causing this.

Are there any pressure taps on that transmission that you could throw a gauge on so you could verify that no pressure is getting to the reverse clutch feed?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Pete,

Pending any engine tuning issues that might cause this, you sure seem like you're on the right track with the trans. issue causing this.

Are there any pressure taps on that transmission that you could throw a gauge on so you could verify that no pressure is getting to the reverse clutch feed?

My feeling is that the cable and carb are out of adjustment a little and I'm going to start there and then move forward, only downside, working in the driveway and no load, Hopefully Eagle creek or another close by pond has a ramp to back the trailer down so we can load the tranny and verify it's working.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 3:47pm
The no load in the driveway may actually help you narrow it down to engine tuning vs. transmission issue. If it's still stalling out of the water with no load when you shift into Fwd., then it may be time to ship the trans to Ohio.

Either way, good luck, and good on ya for personally going and trying to save his trip to Dale Hollow.   
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 4:10pm
well hopefully he calls pretty soon, I can't get to my yahoo account here at work and usually the CCFan mail goes into the spam folder and I can not get to the folder using my cell phone only the inbox and I haven't seen anything.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 4:16pm
I personally dont think its a trans issue,
it would be nice to have a live feed......lol,
decription is key, but he does mention resistance and honestly there is more resistance in the trans when going into reverse. in forward everything is locked and only 2 bearings spinning....you have to take into account thrust, in and out, its possible that a needle bearing from thrust forward is creating the resistance.
get 79 down there and let him take a peak.
if i was a betting man, its something simple
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 4:33pm
That and he states he can drive out of it with a little throttle too
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 4:42pm
Chris, do PM's actually work for you on CCF? Sending an email through CCF does work, but the PM section does not operate for me, or for many other people on CCF.

I sure hope this is something simple, and if it is, why the hell can't the dealer fix it? It's unnerving to hear that they will change plugs batteries and carbs on a whim. Sure, they love to do that, it makes them money.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 4:51pm

765-425-5744

chris

p.s. I leave work at 3:00 so i need to hear from you before that.

bump
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 4:58pm
He is online so I wonder why he ain´t called ya by now?
hope to have news here...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 5:02pm
Ok, got a hold of chris. You guys are great!!
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I sure hope this is something simple, and if it is, why the hell can't the dealer fix it?

Don't get us started....
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 5:21pm
Might wanna have a camera handy and post some pics of the gathering!!!
CCF members meeting to help each other are way cool...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 6:05pm
not sure if you want to see our sweaty aces it's smoking hot today and the humidity is out the roof. Heading over that way now so I'll see what's up.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I sure hope this is something simple, and if it is, why the hell can't the dealer fix it?

Don't get us started....

Notice I said "dealer"?

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 6:19pm
i´m freezing down here so some guys in sweated t-shirts is a nice turn on for me..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

i´m freezing down here so some guys in sweated t-shirts is a nice turn on for me..

that is just sick in so many ways.

But What I found yesterday was, a loose, cable on the new battery install, a loose spark plug, and several loose carb bolts, and throttle cable adjustment issues as well.

So what I feel was the main issue and I hope I corrected the issue since we didn't water test it, but the cable adjustment being off actuall was pulling it off the idle curcuit and I think there might be some varness on one mixture curcuit, so I made some adjustment to the carb and linkage and hope all is well.

I pointed out a couple things for him to check and adjust once he's on the water so hopefully they no issues on vacation.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 2:52pm

But What I found yesterday was, a loose, cable on the new battery install, a loose spark plug, and several loose carb bolts, and throttle cable adjustment issues as well.

So what I feel was the main issue and I hope I corrected the issue since we didn't water test it, but the cable adjustment being off actuall was pulling it off the idle curcuit and I think there might be some varness on one mixture curcuit, so I made some adjustment to the carb and linkage and hope all is well.

I pointed out a couple things for him to check and adjust once he's on the water so hopefully they no issues on vacation.

Chris,
It sure was great of you to help out. Nice.

Sure sounds like N3 put the kid out back sweeping the floors on this one! It sure is disappointing to hear about them.

But, it looks like they still charged full rate!!:
Originally posted by cool hand cool hand wrote:

Spoke with Mark at N3.   He did feel that his 109/hr labor rate was acceptible .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2010 at 7:20pm
Hope his vacation is goin well..

Great job Chris, on going to help him get her running.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 12:18pm
well I'm a little worried actually. Monday laying in bed trying to go to sleep, I start to question myself, did I leave the inspection cover off the packing gland or did I re-install it, did he remember to check the adjustment and attach the saftywire after I tighten it up and explain to him how to adjust it and hope I left it off to remind him to check it when they got there.

I'm worried it backed off while he was driving then when they got back to the dock or house boat and it took on water....little anxiuos to say the least.
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 10:08am
Update
Boat ran and did not sink. Not sure the packing nut is exactly right, but its good enough for now, though there is a bit of a story to tell with that. I'll print off a tutorial and set it up again for good measure next time out.

I think the carb, while needing some adjustment and a good cleanup up is fine. I still think theres something lugging the drivetrain in FWD. When it engages is drags the engine down 750 to 1000 rpms causing a need for a 1200-1400 idle. We did this and it worked good enough all week (read not stalling on every engagement).

Thanks to chris for stopping by and giving me the newbie once thru on nautique as I've still got a lot to learn.

Now I got to get caught up on work here.
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 10:15am
can you get under the boat and spin the prop easily with one hand?
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic