Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie, old question?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gguyette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gguyette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie, old question?
    Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:32am
I have owned a number of traditional bowrider runabouts over the years. Last weekend had my first experience in a Correct Craft- a beautiful '77 Ski Tique. It was an impressive and exhilerating ride and knee-board pull and so I have decided to get a similar boat. My only issue w/ the boat is that it is not well-suited for a cruise around the lake because the bow sits too high on plane. What solutions exist to get the boat flatter on plane and to plane at lower speeds? Hydrofoils are an obvious answer, but how much difference do they make?
Greg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:59am
Greg,
You're looking at the wrong boat for cruising around the lake especially with anyone in the aft seat. I consider it to be more decorative than anything. The Tique was designed as a ski boat and good for the driver and observer. Yes, I have put people in the back of mine but have never found it to really ride bow high. (ride in some 50's and 60's hulls and you'll see bow high!!) Now, you said this Tique you were in was a "beautiful" boat but has it had a stringer job and the old foam removed? Old wet foam can hold hundreds of extra pounds of weight.

Hydrofoils? Do you mean trim tabs? Hydrofoils take the complete boat up and out of the water. Trim tabs mount on the transom and adjust the "trim" of the hull. No, not a good solution. Look for a different boat.

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Excel94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excel94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 3:23pm
Welcome Greg,

Some other correct craft models are more well suited for combining a water sports pull and a little cruising. Go the the reference section here on the site and check on the Martinique in the mid to late 80's and well as the Excel from 91-94. You might look at sport nautiques and supersport nautiques too. Not as much freeboard as the Martiniques or Excels but more seating than the Tique. So you have some options but, like Pete said, that Ski Tique is all about pulling a skier and not much else.

gguyette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gguyette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 9:46pm
Thanks all- but I really wanted you to confirm that I should by the Tique or the Mustang- sooo cool.   
Greg
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 10:20pm
Greg ~ coming from a family of In-out / outboard boats and I just got my Inboard on the water last month.
     This was one of the first characteristics I noticed with my inboard too (Thoguht mine is not a nautique). It never felt like it entirely leveled off and seemed to push a plane much longer then my other boats. While a concern at first, I have quickly adjusted and don't notice it nearly like I did before. I'm sure that as Pete said I have wet foam among other wet stuff. I also notice that tool bag / cooler placment / and extra passengers make a BIG difference in the boats attitude. Much more then with any of my previous boats. The cool part about the Nautiques is as an investment, they will hold their $$$ very well when they are cared for properly.      
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:05pm
I've driven inboards DD's all my life. You take them up gradually to about 1500 RPM and you can still see over the bow. Not true with a I/O or even a O/B!!! So, I'm really confused on the high bow theory?

BTW, getting back to my comment on 50's and 60's riding bow high, even those you can still see over the bow when you're coming out of the water.

Quite frankly, I've driven some I/O's that scare the H out of me. Try to get up on plain with a WOT and there's still about 5 seconds where you can't see in front of you. No wonder the "Walley's" out there driving their Bayliners on busy weekends are running into one another!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:20pm
5 seconds can really drag on for a while if the trim is left out.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
gguyette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gguyette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:25pm
Thanks Whitfield for your insights. I am not buying the boat primarily as a cruiser- 75% of what we do is pull a gaggle of 12 and 13 year olds on a myriad of water devices... I just want to fully enjoy the other 25% of my time on the water as well.

Thanks again to all.
Greg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by gguyette gguyette wrote:

Thanks Whitfield for your insights. I am not buying the boat primarily as a cruiser- 75% of what we do is pull a gaggle of 12 and 13 year olds on a myriad of water devices... I just want to fully enjoy the other 25% of my time on the water as well.

Thanks again to all.

Greg,
I certainly hope these are skis or boards and not tube type devices!! Not allowed behind a CC!! It takes them to to low of a point. Start looking at Mastercrafts!! Then, after you get the kids into something that requires skill, go for the CC!! !2 and 13 year olds should be on something else than "water devices" that I suspect are more towards the inflatables???   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gguyette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gguyette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 11:43pm
Not sure how to take your last comment, Poobah. Sounds like you assume the kids are on inflatables and that they are too old for such sillyness. Given that a "device" is described as "a thing made for a particular purpose", it's a leap to assume I was not describing all towable "things". Yes we ski, board, air chair and embarassingly I must confess we ride a tube from time to time- life is too short not to. I promise to never post a picture of a tube behind my CC and sully your site.

Cheers
Greg
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 7:04am
Greg, hang around and enjoy....Describe "sulley"

But tubing is like banging a fat chick....
It is a lot of fun, just do not let your budds see ya doin it.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 10:24am
especially if you prefer an inflatable fat chick
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by gguyette gguyette wrote:

Not sure how to take your last comment,
Cheers

Greg,
It was all in jest and the reason I used the "smiley's"! We are always poking at Mastercrafts and tubers!! Yes, stick around and get to know the site and the regulars here. Great group of people that actually is more of a family than anything.

I'm glad to hear you do do advanced water sports that require a skill.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic