Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

drive shaft removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phodges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phodges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drive shaft removal
    Posted: July-14-2010 at 3:33pm
Can anyone help PLEASE. 89 martinique CC. I hit a stump and bent the shaft. I have been told not a hugh deal to replace yourself. Has anyone done this at home?
p hodges
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by phodges phodges wrote:

Can anyone help PLEASE. 89 martinique CC. I hit a stump and bent the shaft. I have been told not a hugh deal to replace yourself. Has anyone done this at home?

See the maintenance section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 7:38pm
no problem w/ the ARE system might need to get a streering wheel removal tool I did
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by phodges phodges wrote:

I did it pretty easily on my own and I'm no mechanic. But my situation was different. My shaft broke right behind the strut (stress break I guess, never really figured out what happened) I didnt hit anything. That could be the difference. If you hit something, your strut may be bent too. That makes the whole ordeal a little different.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2010 at 2:54pm
If you are sure it's bent and it is junk, it might be easier to use a portaband or a reciprocating saw and just cut off the coupling rather than pressing it off.

I just replaced my shaft with the ARE and it is nice!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2010 at 5:11pm
I've has the ARE double taper for 10 years now, and can set my engine to where i can feel a 1/8 turn on the engine mount nuts, its smooth.

yank it out, measure it and but a new one, no biggee
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 2:18am
Remove lock wire and set screws, seperate the coupler, put a socket between them, get 4 longer bolts, tighten bolts evenly till coupler presses off shaft, slide out the back. (Tapping lightly around coupler while under pressure helps on the more stubborn ones)
Done deal.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2010 at 3:35pm
Don't go nuts on that technique, i've seen output flanges warped from that, and good luck getting aligned later. If it don't go, sawzall.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 3:02am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

My shaft broke right behind the strut (stress break I guess, never really figured out what happened) I didnt hit anything.

Me neither. But mine broke at the same spot in TN this year. Lost my 540 in 130ft of water.

I too used the sawzall to get mine out gottaski.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 9:45am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

john

John,
You actually used a tool or did you just hand it to someone?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 10:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
You actually used a tool or did you just hand it to someone?

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 12:20pm

Lost my 540 in 130ft of water.

john

I thought it sucked when I dropped my 30+ year old Federal under my dock in 25 ft of water. A friend that is a diver got it for me!

If I had lost an Acme I would be in tears!   

John: We need pictures of you with the sawzall to believe it! Hope you had a good time in TN!

Matt
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:37am
I wish I had a picture or two...you guys would not believe it. I really did disconnect the coupler, saw thru the shaft, and remove the rudder all by myself! Now if I can only get it all back. Got Eddie here tho so I think I am safe.

Gotta be honest. I did the work but my friend Mark Zeal was standing next to the boat coaching. Plus about 3 calls to jbearjr (Dennis)

Stay tuned!

john

PS to Pete: On some pictures on another thread I noticed that your hair is getting rather jbear like in its lenght..already the same in color.

"Loud pipes save lives"

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 10:06am
i thought the only tool he ever used was.....
"the things you own will start to own you"
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 12:17pm

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

My shaft broke right behind the strut (stress break I guess, never really figured out what happened) I didnt hit anything.

Me neither. But mine broke at the same spot in TN this year. Lost my 540 in 130ft of water.

john

Larry/Jbear,
Same with mine a bunch of years ago.
Out sking with a boat full. Stopped for a rest. Started it up again, put it in gear and the engine just rev'd.
Opened the doghouse and the bottom half of the shaft had slid towards davey-jones-locker!
Man that's a heavy hunk of metal to crack like that.

Replaced with A.R.E removable shaft and never had a bit of trouble.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by NAUTI84 NAUTI84 wrote:

Same with mine a bunch of years ago.

Replaced with A.R.E removable shaft and never had a bit of trouble.

Scott, the real question is, have you had the boat in the water at all in those years since the shaft was replaced?

Get that thing wet already!
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Scott, the real question is, have you had the boat in the water at all in those years since the shaft was replaced?

Get that thing wet already!

Tim,
Oh ya, she got wet lots of times after that, but has been sleeping for the last six years.
I'm in the process of making a real tough decision right now as a matter of fact.
Got her uncovered and washed-up last week. Hope to be firing her up over the next couple weeks.
Unfortunately, she may be getting a new accessory :
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 10:20pm

PS to Pete: On some pictures on another thread I noticed that your hair is getting rather jbear like in its lenght..already the same in color.

Yes it is getting rather "Jbear" looking!!! At least we still have it. It's more a look of the sign of the times. I'm now 3 weeks behind in getting paid again and the shop bills are rolling in. My savings for the project have reached the tapped out point and now will be on the HE loan. So, hair cuts now become stretched out!!

BTW, I still go to a old fashioned barber! I'd say you choose to go to a "stylist" ???

I don't know if you picked up on a comment made in the GL thread but CQ thinks I should go see Reids barber!! Speaking of still having it, I do "upstairs" as well as "downstairs" . I have a feeling you do as well. I wonder about CQ though!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2010 at 2:21am
Patti has been cutting mine for years. Does it just right and I don't havta tip her.

Saw the comment about "Reid's barber" Bet he don't spend much there. Notsure what you mean but I got it north and south.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 1:00am
You are making me thirsty.

Wish I had some pictures for proof.

Looks like someone is gonna get a very clean ride Nauti.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 12:39pm

Looks like someone is gonna get a very clean ride Nauti.

john

Yea JB, breaking my heart, but sometimes life just changes your path.
(Thinking of replacing it with a two-wheel rumble though)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 7:42pm

John,
Just to let you know, I went and had my hair cut today! Yes it was getting rather "jbearish" looking however, I didn't go to Reids barber as CQ had suggested!! It got to a point of uncontrollability but then I don't use any of the spray stuff you must use!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 3:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Just to let you know, I went and had my hair cut today! Yes it was getting rather "jbearish" looking however, It got to a point of uncontrollability but then I don't use any of the spray stuff you must use!!

pictures..pictures..pictures..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

phodges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phodges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 12:52pm
Hey guys, I hate to break up this reunion but I still need some help. Can some one give me a play by play on replacing the prop shaft. and what are the coulping in the middle of the shaft for? Also just kidding about the reunion!!
p hodges
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 1:39pm
Call and order new ARE shaft system.

1. Remove prop & rudder.
2. Remove coupler from tranny.
3. Press shaft out of coupler.
4. Loosen shaft retainer (stainless "ring")
5. Loosen packing.
6. Slide shaft out.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

1. Remove prop & rudder.
5. Loosen packing.
6. Slide shaft out.

might want to revise this not quite right, going to be pretty hard to move the shaft with the packing tighten down, and most leave the coupler attached to the tranny and seperate the coupling, most don't have a safty collar either, the prop doesn't have to be removed to get the shaft out and it can be removed later, and a A.R.E. shaft is pricey and not required.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

1. Remove prop & rudder.
5. Loosen packing.
6. Slide shaft out.

might want to revise this not quite right, going to be pretty hard to move the shaft with the packing tighten down, and most leave the coupler attached to the tranny and seperate the coupling, most don't have a safty collar either, the prop doesn't have to be removed to get the shaft out and it can be removed later, and a A.R.E. shaft is pricey and not required.

Why can I spin the prop on the boat with the packing tightened?

How do you press the shaft out without removing the coupler?

Guess you forgot to put the saftey collar back on your boat??

Taking the prop off with it on the boat is easier.

Find a shaft/coupler combo and post it on here that costs less than the ARE system.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 5:31pm
you don't read to good, seperate the coupling, half stays on the transmission, half on the shaft. And no you don't have to remove it if the shaft is broken or you cut it in two, which if you don't have a small enough puller to get it off then cutting is better than using The ambulance chaser's method that can damage the tranny and bend the flange of the coupling.

Saftey collars are not OEM on all boats or years, seen many without them, newer boats can have them older ones usually don't unless the owner has added it.

Depending on your access and availible tools a press works much faster easier than a c-clamp style puller does or can.

let me look for you, cost me about 200-250 for the hardest material available and a custom length 49.5" when I replaced mine little over kill but what the hell, Pretty sure Karen can beat the A.R.E. price all day long but I can't post it for you and might be wrong but I'll see what I can dig up.

Edit yes there are many other options to the A.R.E. shafts especially if your using skidims prices, all that is required is a new single taper shaft, your old coupling and a local machine shop to face it, well under three hunder bucks, a 54" 303 is like 192 or so from glen-l and they are a high priced supplier, so get things strait before you shuff your foot up your posterior making claims that are not true. Just because your not smart enough to know the ins and outs of replacing propellar shaft doesn't mean others don't, presonally I like aliquin argonaut, sorry for the spelling, Pete posted the correct spelling one day maybe he can help my poor spelling out.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2010 at 6:35pm
Karen is a A.R.E. distr. and yes she can do a low ball,lower than skidim,for any member here.
Karen can sell cheap shafts/coupler but chooses not to. Makes me question why someone would risk a 400.00 prop by using a 100.00 shaft?
Ask Jbear how much GREIF his broken shaft cost him on a vacation week ??? Not speaking of a new prop and labor to install.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic