NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couple issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple issues
    Posted: July-19-2010 at 3:08pm
Hola, just had a not so good weekend. '85 with 351.
First: shot impeller.

Overheated so one exhaust hose blew. Changed impeller and found a hose (used on trucks) that I hoped would last until I got 2 new ones from the US. Also opened up thermostat housing to see if I could find some pieces of impeller in there, but probably did it wrong (opened up from the top, probably should have opened from the front?). Anyway, put it back, went for a test run and ran fine. However, when idling temperature stayed just above minimum. More rev's/more speed temp went to 160 and stayed there. What might cause the temp to stay so low at idle?

In the mean time, when working on the engine, I saw this ring (the one on the left)

so I tightened it where it is in the pic. Long time ago I heard some weird noises, thinling it might have been the damper plate, but the sounds later disappeared. Might have been this. Doesn't seem like it could have done any harm.

Then, 10 minutes after the successful test runs I went out; no throttle. Found this:

Time for a new cable I guess?
How do you change the cable?

Thanks for your help!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 3:28pm
Your 160 temp sounds normal. It will go up under a engine load. Never run your engine without water. That will burn up the impeller. Your old impeller has been run dry.

The set collar on the shaft is there for safety. If you snap a shaft at the coupling (common from a major misalignment problem) then the collar will keep the shaft in the boat and not sliding aft.

Yup, looks like it's new throttle cable time! Change out the shift cable at the same time. The new cables are pulled in when the old are pulled out by attaching them together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 3:57pm
Hi Pete, thanks very much.
I haven't and I would never let it run dry. Guess the water intake must have been clogged. Both speedos also acted up that day so must have been lots of dirt/plants/whatever in the water.
However, before this incident the temp would also go up to 160 in a couple minutes at just idle. Now it only gets there under load.

Do you have to take off the morse control to change the cables?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 4:27pm
Yes. it just drops down.
And buy fresh pivots, yours look already 1/2 gone.
Just elect tape the new cable to the old one and pull through.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 2:15am
That's good, the control housing needs some new paint anyway.

I read in another thread that skidim's uflex cables are inferior to the red cables (that I have now as well). There was a link to go2marine.com that carries them, but they don't have stock 17ft, only custom made which takes 5 days.
Any other online place to get them?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 11:10am
I got a cable in 36 hours from lighthouse marine on long island, but i am much closer than you. Maybe they ship out of country.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 12:20pm
The last set of cables I got (this spring) were from Jamestown). I went for the regular ones instead of the red jackets. I figured the originals lasted 33 years plus they were in stock. One was still good but the other was showing signs of getting stiff.

Keep the bends as gentile as possible.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:01am
Thank you very much gentlemen!
A few more questions, hope you don't mind;

For where the wire is, should I get the control cable connector (like   this ?

And how do I get the morse control off? There's 3 screws, 2 behind the lever and 1 in front. I loosened the 2 bolts on the back of the 2 behind the lever and the screw in front of it but it doesn't move yet. Am I on the right track?

I'd also like to trn the steering wheel 180 degrees as it's upside down now and therefore blocking a gauge. What's the way to go? Just loosen the allen screws or is there more to it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic