NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Power Valve on a Holley 4160

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Valve on a Holley 4160
    Posted: July-20-2010 at 6:43pm
My last time out, had some small backfires. After discussing with several people, said the "power valve" has "ruptured and is leaking fuel into the engine. I went to an auto zone close by my house, and talk with someone and want to make sure this is the proper procedure on changing the power valve out.

First, he explained that you will remove the "front" fuel bowl to the carb. There are four screws to do so. You will spill fuel out so be careful.
Once you pull the bowl out, there are (2)sets of gaskets. One too the carb, and one to the fuel bowl. Blue gaskets. The power valve will be in the middle part of the carb, comes out with cresent wrench, and then put new one in. Replace gaskets if needed, and attach everything back. He said the tricky part is making sure you put eveerything back "in line" where it needs to go.

Parts:

(1) 6.5 power valve
(1) blue gasket
(1) Mentioned I need these clear o rings type gaskets that go on the screws. Is this right?
He also tried to sell me (2) different types of gaskets. One was more open, and the other was more closed in. If that makes since... Also explained does not change your settings on air/fuel mixtures or even idle. Sounds pretty easy to do. Is this correct? Or am I missing something. I am always "grateful" for the help...

Can not wait one day to be able to do everything myself.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 6:52pm
Never a bad idea to have those parts on hand, but i think your wasting your time because i don't read evidence there is anything wrong with the carburator or how it runs. I think your treating your symptom like a cause.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 7:06pm
Lee, Tom got you covered here
About power valve size I have my doubts on wich is the "correct" one, my carb came with a 4.5 PV, the kit I bought had 6.5 PV, and skidim only sells 2.5...so lots to choose from..I replaced the 4.5 in mine, runs fine.
Tim (TRbenj) is running a 6.5 or higher and he states better throttle response...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 9:05pm
Thanks Seb apperciate it..

Tom,
Well the backfires I think shows a sign of a power valve prob. But I will have parts on hand, but think the backfire comes from this part. Thanks for the responce...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 10:00pm
How old is the carb,is it pre '92? I blew mine out a couple of years ago after a masive backfire.My back fire was due to miss adjusted points,I don't think it actually causes the backfire,but it is a symptom of one occuring.You will know it by the way it runs,poor idle, black exhaust.I replaced it with a 6.5 and this runs fine now
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 10:18pm
Gary,
Thread jack!! We missed you. How are things going?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

How old is the carb,is it pre '92? I blew mine out a couple of years ago after a masive backfire.My back fire was due to miss adjusted points,I don't think it actually causes the backfire,but it is a symptom of one occuring.You will know it by the way it runs,poor idle, black exhaust.I replaced it with a 6.5 and this runs fine now

Hello Gary,
I do not know how old the carb is? Good question? If I had to guess, probally the orginal one, just been fixed if ever had probs. I had the boat since 05, and had a rebuild last summer. All new guts, and was soaked real good. It sure looks like the orginal carb... But I have had probs on cold starts since the rebuild, never have, and she backfired a couple times between 2300rpm's,-2700's rpms. They where not "wake the neighborhood" backfires, just loss of power and a blup, blup...During the rebuild of my carb, my mechanic said my points where bad also, so re-did those and re-set the timing too. I sent him a email on what was happening, he thinks power valve has rupterd, and has caused the backfires.(Leaking Fuel into motor)
I am putting the boat in the water one more time, to see if it occurs again, but I am thinking it needs to be replaced. One thing I have learned over the last 5 years these Holley carbs are tempermental, and if not one turn of a screw or mixture is not correct that run like "Horse manour"... But they are fun... My boat has always run real good, just since this rebuild on the carb these little problems have occured. I have a mechanic which is cool by me, but thinks of "If it aint broke, dont fix it"! I love that motto, but I always over the last few years point the "Finger" at him when *************** goes wrong.
So my points, timing, and all other stuff has been done, but I cant have my 85 barking at people on the water.... Please help!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gary,

Everything now is fine Pete,he passed on Wednesday evening,services were yesterday. Timing was bad but it's not up to you when your called.
When the GL hype slows down I'll post some pic's.Did alot of work this year- new rubrail,new air horns and thanks to Pat Allen, a new old windsheild.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 11:24pm
Lee If your going to take it off to replace the valve might as well put in the check valve if you dont have one.Here are the instructions
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 11:28pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gary,

Everything now is fine Pete,he passed on Wednesday evening,services were yesterday. Timing was bad but it's not up to you when your called.
When the GL hype slows down I'll post some pic's.Did alot of work this year- new rubrail,new air horns and thanks to Pat Allen, a new old windsheild.

Things do come to a end especially with parents. I've been though mine but still have my MIL to deal with. (actually I wish she'd hurry up!!)
The alignment clinic I believe went great even though I didn't have a actual dial indicator in hand. I printed off a picture to show everyone and I feel they got the idea.

New (original windshield huh!!) Wow, now your're getting to the point where I'll start talking to you!

What did you do for a air supply for the horns> The cheezy Warshaski/Whitny compressor?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 11:49pm
Steve gave me a pump for the horns I got from work but it would not power them,so after realizing all the parts needed to get them to work and the fact they would need a rechrome I bought these.They look really nice and are LOUD! Oh and don't forget my new wheel. Thanks for asking Pete and sorry for the hijack Lee.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 12:23am

Steve gave me a pump for the horns I got from work but it would not power them,so after realizing all the parts needed to get them to work and the fact they would need a rechrome I bought these.They look really nice and are LOUD! Oh and don't forget my new wheel. Thanks for asking Pete and sorry for the hijack Lee.

Thanks Gary.. Do not worry about the hijack, you are a friend of mine and so is Pete...
I will use the thread you provided to help me down the road. Thanks! I apperciate everything..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:08am
I used a 2.5PV in my rebuild becasue that was what came in it.(89 SN) I talked at length with guys here and elsewhere about swapping ot the 6.5 but in the end decided to stay with the 2.5. Still have the 6.5 in the garage.

According to the Holley book I have, you can test to see if your PV is busted by tightening the fuel mixture screws on the side of the metering block all the way in with the engine running. If it dies, PV is good. If it continues running, PV is busted. go slowly and count the number of turns it takes to tighten them so you can put them back to the correct location afterwards.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 8:17pm
I think my settings are set for a 6.5 power valve.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Come on Lee, what the heck settings are you talking about. That doesn't make any sense. Go online and do some reading to get up to speed on the Carb's components and their functions and then we might be able to help you. Didn't I send you a link a while ago with Holley basics, it's a good basic info read and worth your time.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 10:01pm

2.5, 4, 6.5 that # is the inches of vacuum it opens at.
When at "cruse" idle, half throttle, 3/4 what ever steady speed, the engine is pulling pretty much full vaccum (over 10 in).
So nail the throttle wide open (hit it) the vacuum drops to 0(zero)as the vacuum drops passed the number on the power valve the power valve opens and adds fuel. Ski boats engines need that quick throttle response so a higher number power valve advantagous.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Come on Lee, what the heck settings are you talking about. That doesn't make any sense. Go online and do some reading to get up to speed on the Carb's components and their functions and then we might be able to help you. Didn't I send you a link a while ago with Holley basics, it's a good basic info read and worth your time.

Alan,
Love those pics of the boat at the renunion.. After reading up on the power valve,does it not depend on vacum to the carb. When the carb is set at a certain level of vacum, then the power valve kicks in and allows enough fuel to pump in gives power to the accerlator pump. If you have a low power valve, it has to go below that point of vacum load and then the power valve kicks in. If I decide to put in a 2.5, my vacaum load my be different than others. What do you think?
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

2.5, 4, 6.5 that # is the inches of vacuum it opens at.
When at "cruse" idle, half throttle, 3/4 what ever steady speed, the engine is pulling pretty much full vaccum (over 10 in).
So nail the throttle wide open (hit it) the vacuum drops to 0(zero)as the vacuum drops passed the number on the power valve the power valve opens and adds fuel. Ski boats engines need that quick throttle response so a higher number power valve advantagous.

I would have to agree.. Still trying to figure out here if I should go ahead and replace the power valve and prime gasket, or see if it backfires again....
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:59am

When the carb is set at a certain level of vacum, then the power valve kicks in and allows enough fuel to pump in gives power to the accerlator pump.

So how do you set the carb at a certain level of vacuum? You don't. Also the power valve has nothing to do with the accerator pump.

I'll try very briefly to explain.

The acel pump is only one short squirt of gas immediatley at throttle up, picture hitting the throttle real hard, what happens? The butterfly opens and your air fuel mix goes incredibly lean and the boat stumbles. To counter that carbs incorporate an accelerator pump which gives a short burst of fuel to offset the additonal air and create a mix that can be burned. Your power valve hasn't even come into the picture yet.

Your accel pump is used to adjust mixture at the low rpm of operation and the power valve is used to adjust mixture at the higher end of rpm. Power valve is probably not the correct term for what it actually does. It's function is to enrich the fuel mixture from approx 14:1 at normal running down to approx 12.5:1 at WOT throttle. This is done for a couple of reasons, one to make power but most importantly to protect the engine from running too lean at high rpms and burning a piston. The added gas actually cools the combustion chamber. That along with the correct heat range spark plug can save a high performance engine from self destruction.

The power valve rating is just as waterdog stated. it is the vacuum at which the valve will open. The lower 2.5 number will open later and the 6.5 will open slightly sooner or at a lower rpm. As your engine gets put under a load and rpm increases the vacuum drops and your secondaries and power valve are actuated.

I would say that a stock 240 hp 351 will be fine with a 2.5 PV. IF you stray from stock and more importantly increase your compression ratio and or max rpm range then you should perform plug chops and determine which power valve is correct for your application.

Hope that helps a little but find a minute and pick up a holley tuning book, it will be money well spent.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 7:45pm
Thanks Alan.. Well explained... Why did Chris imply that I needed a 6.5 power valve? But will check to make sure and put a 2.5 in there if that what is calls for.. Thanks
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I would say that a stock 240 hp 351 will be fine with a 2.5 PV.

While this statement is completely true, Im not sure you (Lee) understand why. A stock engine, with its (relatively speaking) restrictive intake, heads and cam, will have no problem pulling a lot of vaccuum- and thus, no problem opening a 2.5 PV in a timely manner. Furthermore, stock carbs are generally on the rich side, so you stand little chance of leaning out the A/F ratio and causing damage.

Thats not to say that if you were to install a 6.5 PV in a stock engine, that you wouldn't notice a slight increase in throttle response (and possibly a corresponding decrease in fuel economy).

In a modified motor that breathes better (due to improved heads/intake/cam), you wont pull as much vacuum- and thus, might benefit from a higher PV that will open more easily. Personally, Im running a 7.5 in my 351w.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 8:07pm
I've seen backfiring associated with ruptured power valves on a few different threads on this site.

I still can't get a handle on whether the ruptured power valve is a cause of backfiring, a result of backfiring or potentially both?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 8:08pm
Hey TR,
That makes since. In that 351 you are running, do you have big time specs in that motor? Myself, I have always had good throttle repsonce so wondering what is in mine. My fuel economy has always been awful. The 351 or 350's are quite thirsty on gas. I can easily burn a 1/2 tank of gas if I put a couple hrs on it in a afternoon. But I guess I wont know until I pull it. I like better throttle reponce on the low end. Long as if I put a 6.5 in there and dont damage anything else.

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I've seen backfiring associated with ruptured power valves on a few different threads on this site.

I still can't get a handle on whether the ruptured power valve is a cause of backfiring, a result of backfiring or potentially both?

I read on Holley, that is the first place to start, seen some of these guru's on here say the same thing. My mechanic said this as well, so I am going to start there and work from there. If it becomes too difficult after I replace the the PV, and she still farting, I guess I get to go pay my 125 hr and get her fixed right...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 12:23am
After reading more tonight, what causes this? A lean postion, bad fuel pump, or just a bad power valve? I seem to can not find a real answer...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:44am
Lee I don't know why but due to this statement from Holley,the check valve protects the powervalve

Features
•Spring
•Brass Seat
•Check Ball
•Protects Power Valve
•Easy To Install
•Proper Drill Bit Size w/Stop
•Detailed Instructions
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 11:13am
Any holley made since the early eighties do not need the PV check valve kit . Some models have it already, others have the throttle plate orifice resized smaller so that the pressure from a pop doesn't rupture the diaphram.
The problem of the PV rupturing every time the engine pops died with disco, unfortunately the myth lives on.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 10:19pm
Well, you guys made some strong points there. I heard from somebody else that if you smell exhaust fumes out the exhaust, the power valve has leaked or ruptured. But I dont know, I am probally going to change it anyways and just see what happens. I get a lake day next friday, can not wait till then. More though, probally gonna see if she does it again, and go from there.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Any holley made since the early eighties do not need the PV check valve kit .

Holley's web site says anything before 1992
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 1:26am
For the first timer

Changing the Power valve.

1)   Put some paper towels or a rag on the intake under the fwd bowl you'll spill 4 oz. ish of gas, pull the fuel line.
2)   Remove the front carb bowl (4 long 5/16 bolts /screws) if you remove the top 2 screws first no fuel should come out (a simple check of the float set to high.
3)   Remove the bowl (a tap w/ the HANDLE of a screwdrive maybe needed)with the bowl in your hand pump the accel pump lever (EASY) it should squirt a small amount of fuel that was in the pump, from the bowl.
4)   Remove the metering block behind the bowl,(a tap w/ the HANDLE of a screwdrive maybe needed) note the jet size.(the P/V is screwed in on the back side)

Putting it back together

1)   There are 2 different types of P/V gaskets use the one w/ the new P/V snug it down but not tite.
2)   MAKE SURE the carb body, metering block, and the bowl gasket faces are clean be don't gouge them up to get them clean.
3)   Use HOLLEY blue gaskets there re-useable if you don't already have them.
4)   The fuel transfer tube (fwd bowl to aft bowl) has o-rings on the ends. If the o-rings stayed in the bowls gently pull it out put a drop of lube on it and install it on the tube.( when i try to put the tube in the aft bowl w/ the o-ring in the bowl it's 50/50 if i cut the o-ring or not)
5)   Install the fwd bowl by installing the fuel transfer tube, lift the accel.pump lever arm to clear the bowl and install the 4 bolts/screws JUST SNUG.
6)   Re-install the fuel line
7)   Start & pressure check

It took longer to write it down than to do it. Truely it's not a hard thing to do. Hope i don't get blasted for leaving out a detail!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic